AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, U.S.A., Namibia, England, South Africa
Hello All,
I have been scrounging around for anything .404 Jeffery up here in Canada. I bought an auction lot that included;
1 box-Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer Solids
1 box-woodleigh Weldcore SN
Additionally, a bag of 50 or so mystery projectiles were included. They weigh 400gr, and measure .422.
Anyone out there care to guess at what these might be?

20231020_140628.jpg
20231020_140620.jpg
20231020_140606.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Woodleigh also makes a 350 Gr Soft Nose bullet for the 404 Jeffery that is .422 in diameter. Weigh one just to see if that might be what you have.

The unknown projectiles also weigh 400gr. They most definitely are soft points though.

Can you provide photo of each of the three types of bullets you have on hand? Please furnish the overall lengths and diameter of each type. Ontario is a big place. I live in the States about two miles (due West) of Amherstberg, Ontario.

I own a couple of 404 Jeffery caliber rifles.

Can you provide photo of each of the three types of bullets you have on hand? Please furnish the overall lengths and diameter of each type. Ontario is a big place. I live in the States about two miles (due West) of Amherstberg, Ontario.

I own a couple of 404 Jeffery caliber rifles.
Here are the other two types I received, the Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer, and the Woodleigh Weldcore.
The diameter of each is .422, and they all weigh 400gr. Can't measure length right now, but they all look to be about the same. Was hoping someone could let me know what I have before I load them.

20231020_140113.jpg
20231020_140156.jpg

Here is a photo of a 400 Gr. Hornady GMX which is also a possibility.
1697837643035.png

Thanks Sootist43.
They certainly look more Hornady than the other two do.

They just might be some Bertram projectile from Bertram Brass here in Oz??

Thanks Sootist43.
They certainly look more Hornady than the other two do.
The Hornady bullets have a definite pattern around the cannular. Your opening pic doesn’t show that.

Thanks for that Mark R. I am a novice reloader, so still learning the ins and outs of each brand.

My guess is Woodleigh 400gr RNSN.

IMG_2732.jpeg

Bruce Bertram in Australia manufactured those soft points. They are cup & core with a copper jacket.

Last edited:
Hornady DGX in .423 has a flat meplat, not round like the ones in your picture

Woodleigh makes a .423, but they have it listed for 10.75x68 and they only ever came in 347 gr weight; their 404J bullets are .422

Maybe what you have is a Hawk - photo taken from their web page
1697839219855.png

.422 and they look like Woodleigh RNs. I’ve loaded these myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtumolo18

Latest profile posts

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!