338 Winchester Magnum

Yes likewise
But guides don’t recommend the 338 in Australia for buffalo.
338 is excellent for camels.
I would not want to hunt buff with my 338win mag. I do not have a 470/505gibs/458win mag so IF I was to hunt buff I would prefer to use one of my 50BMG rifles with Barnes bullets.

Building o nenysse, I used the same load for Mongolian Argall, various ibex, Maral stag, red stag, and had to use it as a scoped-rifle finisher on a buff in Zambia that was surrounded by a herd in Zambia. Its's a killer.

I have seen videos of people pumping 6 to 10 rounds from 500 NE into a buff, bad shots from any caliber are ineffective. Let's not forget the 30/06 has killed every animal in Africa many times over to include Buffalo and elephant. Sure not recommended, but if shots are properly placed, it will kill it.

Yes true
Locals use 308s but wait until there’s a perfect shot opportunity

Not me / on foot in the scrub or open I’ll use my 416 Remington.
Fat on Oz buffs can be 4-6 inches thick.
So on prime feeding times I would not be using a 30 caliber.

@Dr Ray
I did say almost but it's got to be close, like 100yds or less.
Bob
When I started my hunting career in the Limpopo Bushveld of South Africa in the 1970's, the 243 was popular amongst young hunters for a little while. However, we wounded so many smaller animals such as impala that we soon realized it was not the cartridge for that area, where we were used to hunt 50-80 yards in the that thick bushveld. It is devastating, the meat damage a small fast bullet such a 100 grain out of a 243 can do at short distance on a small animal, but still lack the necessary killing power. Therefore I would say, the 243 is more applicable 100-300 yards in open areas on animals such as springbuck and blesbuck in the Free Sate, Eastern Cape, Kalahari and Namibia areas of Southern Africa. Although I killed a few kudu with it with head and neck shots at closer range, I would not recommend this caliber on larger game species.

I love the caliber and even killed a Cape Buffalo with mine a a heavy Woodleigh as the bull was in really thick stuff except for his shoulder, he was not moving and it was about a 3 inch hole. PH Barry van Heerden handed me my 338 and took my double and said "thread the needle on him" I too a tree trunk rest and made a heart shot, he ran and I got my double back and could hear him breathing was on high ground so decided to wait him out, the wind changed and he took off at about 80 or so yards and I popped him in the shoulder and he did a perfect summersault, The 338 left a ton of blood on the ground and he would have died shortly, my pants were soaked in blood from the high grass blood trail, my conclusion was the 338 works on buff in a pinch but not my choicel nor would I not shoot another under most circumstances with the 338 0r 9,3x62.

A great elk cartridge. More than needed for most plains game and if you are also taking a 375 you should use that for lion, buffalo, and the largest PG. If you take a 300 and 375 or larger caliber rifle you’re good to go. The 338 is great, but more than needed for most PG and not as good as a 375+ for larger species.

I love my 338wm with nosler partition 210 grains
@homeless
I will stick with my 35 Whelen and a nice 225gn accubond or Woodleigh at 2,900+fps. Shoots just as flat snd hits a bit harder. Don't need no fire breathing magnum.
Bob

@homeless
I will stick with my 35 Whelen and a nice 225gn accubond or Woodleigh at 2,900+fps. Shoots just as flat snd hits a bit harder. Don't need no fire breathing magnum.
Bob
Ejem, ejem.........
Nosler accubond 300 grains
Sako twimhead II 275 grains
Sako humerhead 250 grains
Fire breathing??? It all depends on the length of the barrel.

PXL_20221228_094928399.jpg
PXL_20221228_095321603.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ejem, ejem.........
Nosler accubond 300 grains
Sako twimhead II 275 grains
Sako humerhead 250 grains
Fire breathing??? It all depends on the length of the barrel.
@homleless
35 cal
310grain woodliegh soft and solid
280 gn Swift A frame
275gn Woodleigh PPSP
250gn pick a brand
Bob

@homeless
Both good cartridges but I regard the Whelen as the better of the 2.
May not have the range with the 310 round nose compared to the 300gn 338 accubonds but with 200 to 280gn fully the equal if not better.
Problem is the Whelen is a handloaders proposition to get the best out of it.
Bob

Over the last century or two Ive shot most PF plus a Hippo and a couple of Buffalo and two Bison mostly due to circumstances and I witnessed an elephant kill..In each case it performed as one would expect a 375 or a 9.3x62 would..

Bob to quote another, “A man should know his limitations“
@CZDiesel
Fortunately I know my limitations.
I find the recoil of the 338 very sharp but the Whelen is very comfortable, Even @Badboymelvin 425 express is more comfortable than the 338WM.
Bob

If I was limited to only one cartridge it would likely be the .338 WM.
South Africa was very isolated during the 1970-80's and not much was known by foreign hunters about hunting in South Africa those days. The game ranch concept was also not established at that point. However, I grew up on a cattle ranch next to the Kruger National park and was in the privileged position early in my life where hunting was part of everyday life for survival...for the ranch owners and their workers. So, reading books and articles about hunting interested me from an early age in my life. Back then there was a famous gun writer/guns store owner, the late Dr. Lukas Potgieter, who was considered by many those days as the most knowledgeable person in South Africa regarding hunting and more specifically hunting rifles. He was also the author of various books on these topics and as I remember he also wrote a weekly article about hunting and hunting rifles for an agricultural magazine the "Landbouweekblad" at the time. In the one series of articles he did some research on the topic "best all round caliber rifle". I remember many people those days couldn't wait to read his next article, and as he narrowed down the various calibers for hunting in Africa, only 3 remained in the race, the 9.3x62 Mauser, the 375 H&H, and the 338 WM. Dr. Potgieter concluded in his last article that if you only want to have one rifle in Africa the 338 WM would be his choice. He based his choice on various outcomes of his research, and hunting experience of many years in Africa. I wish I could still have those articles...it would have been precious...

South Africa was very isolated during the 1970-80's and not much was known by foreign hunters about hunting in South Africa those days. The game ranch concept was also not established at that point. However, I grew up on a cattle ranch next to the Kruger National park and was in the privileged position early in my life where hunting was part of everyday life for survival...for the ranch owners and their workers. So, reading books and articles about hunting interested me from an early age in my life. Back then there was a famous gun writer/guns store owner, the late Dr. Lukas Potgieter, who was considered by many those days as the most knowledgeable person in South Africa regarding hunting and more specifically hunting rifles. He was also the author of various books on these topics and as I remember he also wrote a weekly article about hunting and hunting rifles for an agricultural magazine the "Landbouweekblad" at the time. In the one series of articles he did some research on the topic "best all round caliber rifle". I remember many people those days couldn't wait to read his next article, and as he narrowed down the various calibers for hunting in Africa, only 3 remained in the race, the 9.3x62 Mauser, the 375 H&H, and the 338 WM. Dr. Potgieter concluded in his last article that if you only want to have one rifle in Africa the 338 WM would be his choice. He based his choice on various outcomes of his research, and hunting experience of many years in Africa. I wish I could still have those articles...it would have been precious...
Your entire post was most interesting to me.
As many of us, I am a firearms enthusiast and have several different rifles in various cartridges. I have not used a 338 Winchester in several years. But, I still believe if I went to a single cartridge to cover North American size and type game from whitetails size through moose and bears, the 338 Winchester would be it. One particular 338 Winchester that I have, is also a favorite rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KieraVazqu

Latest profile posts

Bill J H wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Do you still have this rifle? I'm in the KC area on business and I'm very interested.
Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.