338 Winchester Magnum

338 is not recommended for oz buffalo either.
Was told that a client of an Outfitter pumped 11 shots into a buff only to have the buff disappear and was not found
I have seen videos of people pumping 6 to 10 rounds from 500 NE into a buff, bad shots from any caliber are ineffective. Let's not forget the 30/06 has killed every animal in Africa many times over to include Buffalo and elephant. Sure not recommended, but if shots are properly placed, it will kill it.

Was told that a client of an Outfitter pumped 11 shots into a buff only to have the buff disappear and was not found
Interesting? Wonder what type of bullets were used and where on the buff were the shots placed? I can’t imagine the animal standing around for 11 shots and then deciding to disappear?

I am planning on taking the 338 win. to Namibia for plains game. Mine really likes the 210 nosler partitions and I have shot three elk with it and never recovered a bullet. I never have tried any other bullets as these group under an inch. I do have some 225 hornady interbonds and will try them but will take the the most accurate. Does everyone think the 210 partition will be enough for eland? Eland is not on my main list but may take one is availabe. Also is 338 ammo available in Namibia and I am also taking a 300 ruger compact mag. that I will load with a 180 partition for a back up rifle. I doubt if there will be any ammo available for the 300 ruger if mine goes astray also would like to use it on the smaller stuff.
Should ideally use 250 grain bullets in any 338 as the SD is ideal the two tens are more a deer black bear thin-skinned elk type bullet not ideal for Africa.

The 338 win mag is not some sort of magical rifle it's velocity is comparable to the 30-06 it just happens to use heavier bullets with greater BC and SD. I myself like larger cased 338s but the win mag will certainly do the job on plains game and up in Alaska with proper bullet choice. I would not use a 338 win mag on dangerous game I'd rather use a larger cased 338 like the a square or one of several weatherbys etc with 300 grain bullets that would have a higher SD greater penetrating power and energy than a 375 h&h. A win mag does not possess those qualities.

I have a different view of .338 Winchester. It is neither fish nor fowl. If you have the .375 H&H then you do not need it for heavy stuff and the .375 is good for everything up to 300 yards. If you need to hit shots longer than 300 yards for PG then .300 WM or RUM outperforms it.

If you do not have the .375 then it could be a good compromise.

Should ideally use 250 grain bullets in any 338 as the SD is ideal the two tens are more a deer black bear thin-skinned elk type bullet not ideal for Africa.
So, for what reason is it not good for Africa?

The 338 win mag is not some sort of magical rifle it's velocity is comparable to the 30-06 it just happens to use heavier bullets with greater BC and SD. I myself like larger cased 338s but the win mag will certainly do the job on plains game and up in Alaska with proper bullet choice. I would not use a 338 win mag on dangerous game I'd rather use a larger cased 338 like the a square or one of several weatherbys etc with 300 grain bullets that would have a higher SD greater penetrating power and energy than a 375 h&h. A win mag does not possess those qualities.
Please explain how you understand that the 338 WM's velocities are comparable to a 30.06....
As far as I know, the 338 WM does around 2850 ft/sec with a 225-grain bullet, and a 30.06 does about 2450 ft/sec with a 220-grain bullet....Clearly a huge difference. Do I miss something here?

Last edited:
Seems factory ammo for the 338 Win Mag become more readily available again here in North America...

Does anybody have first hand experience with the following ammo? If so please indicate short or long range and type of animals taken.

1) Winchester Expedition 338 Win Mag 225gr Accubond CT

2) Norma Oryx 338 Win Mag 230 grain

3) Hornady Precision Hunter EDL-X 230 grain

Seems factory ammo for the 338 Win Mag become more readily available again here in North America...

Does anybody have first hand experience with the following ammo? If so please indicate short or long range and type of animals taken.

I saw several boxes of Hornady 225 grain CX ammunition today.

I can Vouch for the Norma oryx ammo. I killed a whitetail doe with mine last week. Complete pass through and the doe was dead before she hit the ground.

Honestly, it was devastating. Blood was 5-6 yards past the doe.

I can Vouch for the Norma oryx ammo. I killed a whitetail doe with mine last week. Complete pass through and the doe was dead before she hit the ground.

Honestly, it was devastating. Blood was 5-6 yards past the doe.
@Andrew Short
You can almost do that with a 243 and 100gn round nose on a whitetail doe.
Bob

that is a bullet problem which can be corrected by using Barnes A-Frame bullets. Or it could be poor shot placement. I always try to take out 1 or both shoulders and very few required any tracking or went more than 20 yards.

that is a bullet problem which can be corrected by using Barnes A-Frame bullets. Or it could be poor shot placement. I always try to take out 1 or both shoulders and very few required any tracking or went more than 20 yards.

Yes likewise
But guides don’t recommend the 338 in Australia for buffalo.
338 is excellent for camels.

Yes likewise
But guides don’t recommend the 338 in Australia for buffalo.
338 is excellent for camels.
No .338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM for buffalo? What do they recommend then?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gwol1f

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)