338-06 loads

So, I have been trying to find a perfect load for my 338-06 and, while there is data available on loaddata.com and other sources, some of the better, current, extreme powders are just not listed. Much of the data I find is with powders like H414/W760, BLC2, 4320, and others that are temperature sensitive. I presume it’s because this isn’t the hottest, most popular caliber out there. I don’t want to travel half way around the world with loads that can change 80 fps due to temperature swings.

I could find H4350 load data but in some other calibers I have found RL16 to give better velocity, SD’s and as good of accuracy but data was missing for this powder. I also have most of an 8# keg, so that’s obviously another incentive to try it. Without available data, I extrapolated and started quite low, then worked up to this load.

My rifle is an Ackley version so keep that in mind. Velocity doesn’t improve much with the AI version so you might get similar with the standard chamber.
My rifle also has a 26” barrel.

Weatherby (Nosler) 338-06 cases, FLS, third firing.
210 gr Nosler Partition
RL16 proved to show the best velocity with the least pressure. Today I got 2843 FPS with a case full, slightly compressed at 60.0 grains. That’s about equal to 338WM factory loads.

If you try this, start really low, like 56.0 gr and work up, but it seems to be a great powder for this caliber.

I have only done cursory Accuracy testing so far but this rifle seems to be really good with about any load and bullet so far. I’m hopeful this combination will follow suit and I’ll update once I have some more time to shoot more groups.

Hope this helps someone.
I have a couple of really good 338-06AI loads worked up using hammer bullets. Just did my accuracy testing this weekend the 186 gr Shock hammer was 1.2 inch average over 10 shots, the 213gr Hammer hunter .7 average over 10 shots! My rifle is a Winchester Mod 70 with a 22in Proof barrel 1/9.4 twist. Details below:

213gr Hammer Hunter
61.0 gr 2000-MR
COL 3.375
WLRM Primers
Norma 338-06 A-Square brass fire formed to AI
Silencer
2851 fps

186gr Hammer Shock Hammer
61.5gr A2520
COL 3.175
WLRM Primers
Norma 338-06 A-Square brass fire formed to AI
SIlencer
3127 fps

That 186gr load is over 4000 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle. With the 186 gr Hammer I could only get about 90 FPS more from my 338WM and the 338WM has a 24 inch barrel!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
liujinyue826

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Bill J H wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Do you still have this rifle? I'm in the KC area on business and I'm very interested.
Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.