Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Working with the M70 .30-06 Super Grade I picked up here on AH last year. I did a little work with it and 165/180gr bullets, but none were A-Frames. I seated them all to SAAMI length of 3.34".

While in Dallas I struck gold and snagged two boxes of A-Frames in 165gr weight. I'm quite certain it's not the rifle or me, but I had to seat the bullets to 3.24" to get them to feed. It's not the first time I've had bullets that had to be seated a bit shorter than SAAMI, but a full 0.1" seems a lot.

Anyone else run into the same?

Working with the M70 .30-06 Super Grade I picked up here on AH last year. I did a little work with it and 165/180gr bullets, but none were A-Frames. I seated them all to SAAMI length of 3.34".

While in Dallas I struck gold and snagged two boxes of A-Frames in 165gr weight. I'm quite certain it's not the rifle or me, but I had to seat the bullets to 3.24" to get them to feed. It's not the first time I've had bullets that had to be seated a bit shorter than SAAMI, but a full 0.1" seems a lot.

Phil, i am under listed col on several of my rifles for the exact reason you have mentioned. Havent noticed an issue in doing so thus far.

When I read though this the first time and read it as .01 and I couldn't figure out why it would matter, now I see it is .1, I have idea why that happen.

@PHOENIX PHIL

Are you sure your specific chamber (throat) is actually long enough to seat the 165 gr A-Frames to 3.340" COL?

My 180 grain A-Frames would be jammed .050" into the lands at that length. My COL is 3.240" and I'm .050" off of just touching. This is in a 30-06 Tikka, btw.

I assume the 165 and 180 A-Frames have a similar shape at the nose (neither very pointed). I've only loaded the 165s in a .308, but IIRC they shot best seated ~ .050 off the lands as well.

@PHOENIX PHIL

Are you sure your specific chamber (throat) is actually long enough to seat the 165 gr A-Frames to 3.340" COL?

My 180 grain A-Frames would be jammed .050" into the lands at that length. My COL is 3.240" and I'm .050" off of just touching. This is in a 30-06 Tikka, btw.

I assume the 165 and 180 A-Frames have a similar shape at the nose (neither very pointed). I've only loaded the 165s in a .308, but IIRC they shot best seated ~ .050 off the lands as well.
Wjat I know is 165 Nosler BTs can be seated at 3.34” at minimum. I haven’t tried to go longer with those. I believe also North Forks in same weight can also be seated at that length.

The A-Frames were still a little tight at 3.25” and fine open/closing of bolt at 3.24”

If I end up with an accurate load at a good velocity, well no problem I’ll take it. It just seemed I had to back out from SAAMI a bit much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enrico Farinha

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone