AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hello everyone after much discussion on the issue of storage fees at airports I’m left a bit confused.(but happy) I just finally got all my animals (dip & pack ) to my tannery after they were held at JFK usda for nearly 26 days. The confusing part for me is I paid only a basic storage fee and normal processing fees associated with usda and the airline. But no storage fees for the 26 days. I paid my broker and fees the day it arrived to cause no delay on my end. At about day 6-7 I started to become very concerned about the large storage fees I’d have to pay but my broker assured me there would be no charge, he was correct after all the days there was no additional charge??

So what’s the deal? Is there a different facility that usda transfers the crates to while they are being processed and not actually in an airlines storage? I’m just trying to understand the process so I can navigate it as best as possible for my future safaris.

Also I had no swine primates or anything that required additional permits.

Who was your broker? Based on what you wrote I would suspect they have a bonded warehouse and picked up from the airline the day it arrived. I will only use a broker who has a bonded warehouse now that I know the significance of it. 26 days in airline storage would have been a huge bill.

I agree with 375fox they must have some sort of storage arangments worked out for themslves. But whats more alarming is the 26 days Do you know why they were held up that long?
Part of me thinks maybe the broker didnt have something in order adn thats another reason that you didnt get storage fee's beacuse they were trying to sort and issue out on their end. I've never had such a long delay time out of any of my 30+ International hunts. Would love to know the reason they were delayed.

Who was your broker? Based on what you wrote I would suspect they have a bonded warehouse and picked up from the airline the day it arrived. I will only use a broker who has a bonded warehouse now that I know the significance of it. 26 days in airline storage would have been a huge bill.
Genus Logistics INC
Matt Mayers

They are located directly next to airport so that’s probably the case. Yes 26 days from Turkish airlines would have made me cry and cancel my next trip

I agree with 375fox they must have some sort of storage arangments worked out for themslves. But whats more alarming is the 26 days Do you know why they were held up that long?
Part of me thinks maybe the broker didnt have something in order adn thats another reason that you didnt get storage fee's beacuse they were trying to sort and issue out on their end. I've never had such a long delay time out of any of my 30+ International hunts. Would love to know the reason they were delayed.
They said a backlog was the reasoning for delay. The broker seemed to be on top of everything from my end, extremely responsive, communication between shipper/taxidermist on point, no delay in contacting on arrival and such things. But very limited experience on my end of what to expect.

I use a Canadian Company. Rigel Logistics, they have their own Warehouse. In Toronto.

Last edited by a moderator:
Genus logistics is the broker that my taxidermist (Dakota Taxedermy, Bismarck ND) recommended to me.
Genus Logistics INC
Matt Mayers

They are located directly next to airport so that’s probably the case. Yes 26 days from Turkish airlines would have made me cry and cancel my next trip

Genus logistics is the broker that my taxidermist (Dakota Taxedermy, Bismarck ND) recommended to me.
Delay or not They were very easy to work with and ultimately did their job successfully. I will use them again. I’ve had many friends recommend me to them

Genus Logistics INC
Matt Mayers

They have a good reputation. I think you made a good choice.

I wouldn’t automatically suspect that. Pre-Covid my shipments always cleared up quickly. The last shipment I had cleared at end of 2023 (from Cameroon) took nearly 30 days through coppersmiths. Post-Covid I just accept it is what it is. It doesn’t really matter when they have a bonded warehouse to take to. Hopefully my Namibian and Zimbabwe shipments this year will clear more quickly.

Hello everyone after much discussion on the issue of storage fees at airports I’m left a bit confused.(but happy) I just finally got all my animals (dip & pack ) to my tannery after they were held at JFK usda for nearly 26 days. The confusing part for me is I paid only a basic storage fee and normal processing fees associated with usda and the airline. But no storage fees for the 26 days. I paid my broker and fees the day it arrived to cause no delay on my end. At about day 6-7 I started to become very concerned about the large storage fees I’d have to pay but my broker assured me there would be no charge, he was correct after all the days there was no additional charge??

So what’s the deal? Is there a different facility that usda transfers the crates to while they are being processed and not actually in an airlines storage? I’m just trying to understand the process so I can navigate it as best as possible for my future safaris.

Also I had no swine primates or anything that required additional permits.
If the crate was at the airport it would incur daily storage fees. It must have been moved off site. I use Coppersmith because, among other things, have their own warehouses which reduces fees.
A 26 day delay is unacceptable.

I’m using SSI and my shipment arrived at JFK on the 10th.

Reading yalls reports I’m betting they will be there even longer. Strange, I’m sure JFK is slammed packed though

Glad I won’t have to pay anymore fees... Still makes me worry just a little. I am juicy curious on the process of JFK lately more than anything.

I am also using SSI and have have a crate in NY waiting to clear. SSI is on top of it and have kept me informed that NY clearing is running slow. So I am just being patience.

I am also using SSI and have have a crate in NY waiting to clear. SSI is on top of it and have kept me informed that NY clearing is running slow. So I am just being patience.
How long has your crate been there?

Yep, as soon as it clears it should be on a truck that day or next. So I’m just hanging back and it will show up at my house one day soon.

It has been there since 20 April

They said a backlog was the reasoning for delay. The broker seemed to be on top of everything from my end, extremely responsive, communication between shipper/taxidermist on point, no delay in contacting on arrival and such things. But very limited experience on my end of what to expect.
Yea understand that!
We are talking about goverment officals they do seem to cause alot of delays so as long as you broker was good and no extra fee's were added I guess, I would chalk it up for a longer than normal delay.

I wouldn’t automatically suspect that. Pre-Covid my shipments always cleared up quickly. The last shipment I had cleared at end of 2023 (from Cameroon) took nearly 30 days through coppersmiths. Post-Covid I just accept it is what it is. It doesn’t really matter when they have a bonded warehouse to take to. Hopefully my Namibian and Zimbabwe shipments this year will clear more quickly.
Ive had some post covid shippments clear in a good time frame, even my cameroon shippment I got back start of 23 I think was maybe two weeks max but think it was more like 11 days. SO many factors go into this we could all take a guess as why it took 26 days and your cameroon trip 30. Never know what happens when someone notices a hunting crate that isnt a fan of hunting, Ive alwasy wondered if that ever plays a roll.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KalaMoniz

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,