Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, NRA,Oregon Hunters Assoc.
Hunted
USA, Zimbabwe x2 , Australia, Mozambique, Namibia, Canada & South Africa
My wife and I arrived in Victoria Falls April 23 met up with Gordon of Nhoro Safaris we ate lunch at the Bar next to the gorge where the Zipline and Canyon Swing are, my wife did the Zipline in 2019, not me I don't like heights. We stayed at Safari Lodge overlooking the water hole, had supper at The Victoria Falls Hotel, an awesome place.
Headed to camp the next afternoon, about an hour South of Vic Falls across the Matetsi along the Queens Highway. The camp is set up right now for 1 hunter.

Day 1: loaded up in the Toyota went looking for tracks driving and around water holes. The Elephants were not terrorizing the locals because there is no Corn this year due to a terrible drought, it was so dry not even the weeds grew, and weeds always grow. Didn't find many fresh tracks but a lot of sign a day or 2 old.

Day 2: Same results.

Day 3: Checked same area again in the morning still the same so we drove over towards the Matetsi River and started finding lots of sign and fresher, late afternoon we came across some hot sign but only had about 20 minutes of daylight left, but my confidence was building back up.
Our drivers name was Lucky, the way he came by that name is he has a dream of the kill not on all hunts but several, so when he has the dream Bulls are going be killed.

Day 4: We go back to where we seen the hot sign the eve before, a set of tracks left by lone Bull were there the trackers take off to figure out how far ahead of us he was, they call us about an hour later said they got a report that a Bull Elephant was standing in the highway had both lanes blocked, we picked up the trackers went to the highway found where Bull crossed he left the area we could hunt. About that time Lucky gets a call and some of the locals just seen 2 Bulls go into a thicket back on the other side of camp. Now were headed back Lucky gets off the paved road just driving like he always drives and then a Mongosse crosses the road in front of us, he looks at me with a big smile and says thats my animal, I said what do you mean, he says when I see the Mongoose it's just like my dream were going to get a Bull today, then he starts driving like Mario Andretti, we're are holding on for dear life.
a little while later he stops and says were here, there's a thicket in front of us and we are in a fairly open forest, so we take off get down wind of the thicket and then we start to move in, just get to the thicket and one of the trackers said to me can you smell them, I said no because smeller isn't what it used to be, we go in the thicket and in no time even a guy like me could tell they were close. We kept sneaking deeper in and then one of the guys said there they are, there was some real tall grass in front of me but I could see part of an Elephant at about 25 yards, first thought was this Elephant is standing in a hole or he is a small Elephant, go a little further and there he is laying on his side snoring, all the scenarios of how I was going shoot my Bull went out the window, everybody was as surprised as I was, I studied him for a second figured about where his brain would be in this position, I talked it over with the tracker and he was thinking same as me, I shot the Bull raised up exposed his brisket so I shot him again he went back down, So I shot him in the head again ended being a Jaw shot he raised one more time and I put another into the brisket, he was a dead Bull Elephant, the adrenaline dump was like I've never experienced.

4AB2842C-4459-44EE-B7B0-0DDA25265467 Large.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
@bashaw
Well played sir!.... What rifle is that?

Looks like a CZ550 - please clarify model and caliber as well as ammo used.

Looks like you had a good hunt, Congradulations. Who was your PH

@bashaw
Well played sir!.... What rifle is that?

Looks like a CZ550 - please clarify model and caliber as well as ammo used.
You Are right 550 Safari Classic 375 H&H Federal Premium Safari 300gr Nosler Solid

Stalking in a sleeping Elephant. There's a first.
All those shot placement books and images don't show that one.
Congratulations on getting that close to a snoozing critter. That is no easy feat.

Stalking in a sleeping Elephant. There's a first.
All those shot placement books and images don't show that one.
Congratulations on getting that close to a snoozing critter. That is no easy feat.
like I said it wasn't what I had pictured in my mind, Gordon and the guys said it was a first for them also.

CONGRATS!!

Met Bashaw at DSC get together at @mdwest house , and we talked about his upcoming elephant hunt. Good guy! Great job, and congratulations!

Congrats on your ele and finding a sleeping one is unusual for sure. That will probably never happen for you again. What else is targeted for this hunt?

Congrats on your ele and finding a sleeping one is unusual for sure. That will probably never happen for you again. What else is targeted for this hunt?
It was a 7 day hunt, day 5 we took life easy, day 6 we drove back to Vic Falls went Tiger fishing on day 7 got Skunked but a good day on the river

Wow! Congrats on the bull ele! And what a story to come up on a sleeping bull elephants and take him lying down!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
divydestination1

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?