ZIMBABWE Hunting Information

Does anyone have a current matrix of operators by Matetsi Unit (incl. adjoining)? If not, I am willing to split the task with some folks in a side bar message, then post results.
I don’t know all of them but know someone who does, and hunts some of the private and communal land bordering serveral Matetsi and Deka Safari areas. I’m sending you a PM with his WhatsApp info

Reactions: AES
Does anyone have a current matrix of operators by Matetsi Unit (incl. adjoining)? If not, I am willing to split the task with some folks in a side bar message, then post results.
If you contact SOAZ in Zimbabwe they can give you a list of Zimbabwe operators.

Tokoloshe Safaris operate mainly starting 100klm to the South of Matetsi.

Someone was asking about silencers in Zimbabwe. They are illegal to possess in Zimbabwe.

The embargo applies equally to the entire European Union. They extended it again for a year. Hunting guns not allowed.
https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/...news-restrictive-measures-for-a-further-year/

To prevent internal repression within Zimbabwe, the decision and regulation prohibit:

• the sale, supply, transfer or export of arms and related materiel of all types for use in Zimbabwe, including
    • weapons and ammunition

Fulltext:

Attachments

• Decision - 2011:101 - EN - EUR-Lex.pdf
    354.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Restrictive measures against Zimbabwe | EUR-Lex.pdf
    128 KB · Views: 13
  • Zimbabwe: Council renews restrictive measures for a further year - Consilium.pdf
    68 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
The embargo applies equally to the entire European Union. They extended it again for a year. Hunting guns not allowed.
https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/...news-restrictive-measures-for-a-further-year/

To prevent internal repression within Zimbabwe, the decision and regulation prohibit:

• the sale, supply, transfer or export of arms and related materiel of all types for use in Zimbabwe, including
    • weapons and ammunition

Fulltext:
Thank you - I've seen the same document (or a translation thereof) previously. That is the reason I was initially so sure of it being forbidden. The wording is strong and sweeping, but it seems to me that the intent is banning arms exports - not to stop people from going hunting.

"To prevent internal repression within Zimbabwe, the decision and regulation prohibit:
    • weapons and ammunition
    • military vehicles and equipment
    • paramilitary equipment and spare parts"
One could argue that traveling with a hunting rifle IS indeed export (or possibly 'transfer' - not 100% sure how that word is to be understood), but that implies that you are planning on leaving the rifle in Zimbabwe, or letting somebody else use it to 'internally repress' the locals while you're there.

Reading the embargo text while wearing my common logic glasses, it is clear that it does not really apply to the visiting hunter, unless s/he is planning to;
  • sell the rifle (sale),
  • lend it to someone (supply),
  • give it to someone (transfer?) or
  • export it (which, I guess, is either of the first three, but involves a border-crossing).
An ordinary hunting rifle is usually a poor tool for police/military use, and more so the larger the calibre. A pump-action shotgun may be more 'dual use', and maybe that is why the text does not make distinctions between firearms for hunting and policing. There are grey areas, simply.

Perhaps the officials here are also wearing common logic glasses, and see things for what they are, but maybe they (and I) are wrong, and it IS really the intent of the embargo to stop all movement of firearms across the Zimbabwean border, regardless of the intended use.

Unfortunately I do not know if this has ever been tried in the courts here, which would of course set a precedent of how things are to be interpreted.

Thank you - I've seen the same document (or a translation thereof) previously. That is the reason I was initially so sure of it being forbidden. The wording is strong and sweeping, but it seems to me that the intent is banning arms exports - not to stop people from going hunting.

"To prevent internal repression within Zimbabwe, the decision and regulation prohibit:
    • weapons and ammunition
One could argue that traveling with a hunting rifle IS indeed export (or possibly 'transfer' - not 100% sure how that word is to be understood), but that implies that you are planning on leaving the rifle in Zimbabwe, or letting somebody else use it to 'internally repress' the locals while you're there.

Reading the embargo text while wearing my common logic glasses, it is clear that it does not really apply to the visiting hunter, unless s/he is planning to;
  • sell the rifle (sale),
  • export it (which, I guess, is either of the first three, but involves a border-crossing).
An ordinary hunting rifle is usually a poor tool for police/military use, and more so the larger the calibre. A pump-action shotgun may be more 'dual use', and maybe that is why the text does not make distinctions between firearms for hunting and policing. There are grey areas, simply.

Perhaps the officials here are also wearing common logic glasses, and see things for what they are, but maybe they (and I) are wrong, and it IS really the intent of the embargo to stop all movement of firearms across the Zimbabwean border, regardless of the intended use.

Unfortunately I do not know if this has ever been tried in the courts here, which would of course set a precedent of how things are to be interpreted.
I have the exact same understanding. The intent of the embargo is to prohibit the export of military arms and equipment to Zimbabwe. Not for visiting hunters.

HOWEVER, good luck explaining that to any low-level official in your home country or one of the connecting countries of your flight there, who is on a power trip and will not hear of any interpretation but their own.

Traveling with firearms, I would not book a ticket from the EU, with the end destination of Zimbabwe mentioned on it. It is just asking for trouble.

I have the exact same understanding. The intent of the embargo is to prohibit the export of military arms and equipment to Zimbabwe. Not for visiting hunters.

HOWEVER, good luck explaining that to any low-level official in your home country or one of the connecting countries of your flight there, who is on a power trip and will not hear of any interpretation but their own.

Traveling with firearms, I would not book a ticket from the EU, with the end destination of Zimbabwe mentioned on it. It is just asking for trouble.
Well, it would probably be a good idea to have the 'verdict' from the authorities in writing before booking any tickets. But it is perhaps harder than it seems, since both of the ones I've identified (police dept and ISP) clearly say that they don't really care about hunting tourism, or at least that you don't need a permit from them. So they might not be able to write a 'letter of approval' so to speak, as they do not see it to be within their jurisdiction to approve (or not).

Where I live there are no direct flights to Zimbabwe, so there would have to be a stop in some place like Addis or Qatar perhaps. Of course one will have to check if that country might also have embargoes of their own. It would seem wise to avoid any stop in another EU country.

Whatever is the case, for me this is a turn off for bringing my own rifle to Zim.

I am not a lawyer, but I gave the document to my lawyer to read.
Using several examples (formulation and enumeration of terms), he argued to me, with an explanation, why this also applies to hunting weapons.
Unfortunately, I can't translate it clearly into English, but if I go to Zimbabwe, definitely without a gun. From Germany, there is a case where hunters were stopped already at departure.

Attachments

• Jagdreise endet am Flughafen: Strafverfahren gegen Jäger | PIRSCH.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 17
Using several examples (formulation and enumeration of terms), he argued to me, with an explanation, why this also applies to hunting weapons.
Unfortunately, I can't translate it clearly into English, but if I go to Zimbabwe, definitely without a gun. From Germany, there is a case where hunters were stopped already at departure.
Thanks again. I certainly believe you it can be (and has been) interpreted as banning firearms for hunting trips to Zim. It was just that when I asked the relevant (hopefully all) authorities here, they did not see a problem, at least not over the phone. Perhaps they would say a different thing 'just in case' if they have to put it in writing. From what I can read on their website, BAFA in Germany has the same role as ISP here, i.e. export control.

I agree with you @mark-hunter it is a bit of a turn off to have to jump through hoops in order to please customs/police/airline officials etc just to travel with a gun. But if I can get the answers I want, it seems like there would be no extra 'government' procedure. Just the same as traveling to Namibia or RSA.

Thanks again. I certainly believe you it can be (and has been) interpreted as banning firearms for hunting trips to Zim. It was just that when I asked the relevant (hopefully all) authorities here, they did not see a problem, at least not over the phone. Perhaps they would say a different thing 'just in case' if they have to put it in writing. From what I can read on their website, BAFA in Germany has the same role as ISP here, i.e. export control.

I agree with you @mark-hunter it is a bit of a turn off to have to jump through hoops in order to please customs/police/airline officials etc just to travel with a gun. But if I can get the answers I want, it seems like there would be no extra 'government' procedure. Just the same as traveling to Namibia or RSA.

I’m following this post with interest.
I had switch hunting locations for this exact reason.

Maybe a Zim PH/ operator can chime in and share their experience with various clients from various parts of the world.

Whatever is the case, for me this is a turn off for bringing my own rifle to Zim.
It is incredibly easy to bring a rifle to Zim, from the states that is. Easier than SA from my understanding.

Reactions: AES
Hello, I found article More than 160 elephants die in Zimbabwe, with many more at risk (and then many others) about rain and water problems in Zimbabwe. Animal deaths, little water in Vicoria falls, extremely dry overall. I will leave the impact on agriculture and the economy aside.
How is the hunting? What does it really look like there? Matabeleland north looks to be significantly affected - does it make sense to travel there to hunt?

it was probably a direct flight (via Addis or something)
That's why I always fly via South Africa, check out with a weapon and board again, then there are no problems.

• weapons and ammunition

• sell the rifle (sale),

What ever applies to rifles applies to ammunition. Legally you cannot sell or give a firearm or ammunition to a Zimababwean.

Hello, I found article More than 160 elephants die in Zimbabwe, with many more at risk (and then many others) about rain and water problems in Zimbabwe. Animal deaths, little water in Vicoria falls, extremely dry overall. I will leave the impact on agriculture and the economy aside.
How is the hunting? What does it really look like there? Matabeleland north looks to be significantly affected - does it make sense to travel there to hunt?
We are ass deep in elephant, why we have water and low hunting pressure. We are located in Matabeleland North.

Rare Breed will be hunting in this area in the next few weeks. Hopefully he will be successful and one way or the other publish a report.

In recents months we have had Hungarian, Russian, Swedish, Canadian & American hunters. American and Russian no problem. Hungarian one brought his own firearms other did not. Canadian did not.

Personally I know of know of no animals dieing due to our drought.
It has been very hot and dry.

Lon

A hunter traveling from the USA to Zim will have the following extra paperwork USA side form 4457. Zim side Temporary license to import firearm and ammunition. Anything is just the standard letter of invitation & TR2.
If you rent a rifle be sure to find out what ammo is going to cost.

Lon

I saw tons of elephant in September on lake Kariba. I would absolutely go back to Zim for elephant without a second thought.

I am thinking about the buffalo around Hwange in the near future. That's why I'm asking what it looks like there currently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefwava

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.