Zimbabwe Big Game Safari Rates Question

Angoose

Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa
Hi everyone

Firstly great to meet you all a wonderful community got going here, an honor to join!
Being young and inexperienced myself I being part of the upcoming generation, would love to hear some of your suggestions/ advice. I have done a couple of safaris in South Africa which have been great but am keen to do my first Big Game Safari in Zimbabwe hopefully later on in the year. I plan on taking my parents as well as my wife which would be their first safari.

The main focus being I am quite keen to get my old man onto a buffalo and once he has been successful try my hand at one should there be availability/ opportunity to do so. And then I would look to pick up a couple of plains game along the way, and possibly look at a hippo on land. So aiming at a 12-16 day safari length in a high quality area.

Being a family we don't want to split up and thus want to go with one PH. What I am wanting some advice on is a situation where you have 1x full time so to speak hunter that would be me and, 1x hunter that would only be after one animal, what is the procedure for daily rates? Due to the fact that I am after a variety of species I obviously would be considered a full time hunter. However, should due to the fact that I would like my father to take the first buffalo and lets say it takes him 4 days to do so, upon completion will he still be considered a full time hunter? So having successfully getting his target animal and calling it a day on the hunt, from the next day does he technically become an observer? or because he has hunted an animal he is still regarded as a hunter thus paying those rates?

Otherwise really appreciate the advice
Regards

I'd say he would be considered a hunter the whole trip, if he was still in camp. But maybe they could reduce him down to an observer rate once his buffalo was taken. Especially if you're both hunting with the same PH.

The procedure for daily rates is simply telling outfitters the hunt you are wanting and asking them for quotes to compare. Each outfitter would look at the situation you are describing differently. However you should note Zimbabwe might not be the best place for your wife and parents to follow you on a hunt. It’s not as relaxed as South Africa. There will be many days you won’t return to camp until end of day and some days you won’t return to the car until end of day. Even high quality areas can produce tough hunts for a variety of reasons.

The procedure for daily rates is simply telling outfitters the hunt you are wanting and asking them for quotes to compare. Each outfitter would look at the situation you are describing differently. However you should note Zimbabwe might not be the best place for your wife and parents to follow you on a hunt. It’s not as relaxed as South Africa. There will be many days you won’t return to camp until end of day and some days you won’t return to the car until end of day. Even high quality areas can produce tough hunts for a variety of reasons.
I completely agree with @375Fox I would not take my family to Zim. Don’t misunderstand me, Zim is a great place to hunt…just not really family oriented. Given it is your family’s first safari Zim is quite spartan. I would take them to SA. You can find dozens of outfitters with packages versus day rates and trophy fees. I have done both so speak from experience

I would not have brought my wife or family to Zim. It’s not as lavish as some of these lodges in South Africa. It’s all about the hunting for the most part with little in between unless you fill your bag list early.

The hunter before me wounded a buff on day 2 on a 10 day hunt. They tracked it for the remainder of the hunt and never found it, walking 10-15 miles every day. I wouldn’t want to drag anyone through that.

Depends...
Zim is not like SA but then again my wife who is also a hunter willingly joining me as an observer for a Buff hunt this June.
Also if you don't need your hand hold from airport back to airport Zim has a lot of great places to visit for everybody and do touristy stuff before or after the hunt.
You can also do both countries and drive from SA to ZIM.
All you need is a car and time.
On a side note 12-16 days is unnecessary for the type of hunt you want.

Last edited:
@TSALA HUNTING SAFARIS can accommodate your needs, I have hunted with them 2 times, and that is saying a lot as they are the only company in my 18 trips I have returned to hunt with. They have huge buffalo that are all self-sustaining, it's a real buffalo hunt. The grounds are nice, rooms are all connected by a lovely living room, kitchen, and if the ladies would like, Jo will gladly set them up in town for a massage, pedicure, sightseeing, etc. My girlfriend is not a hunter, wants no part of hunting, so if I were to ever take her, I would take her somewhere like Tsala. Awesome you want to go with your father, my father and I hunted Africa 3 times, now that he is gone I look back upon those times even more fondly! There is nowhere in Zim I would ever want to take a non-hunting family member.

@TSALA HUNTING SAFARIS can accommodate your needs, I have hunted with them 2 times, and that is saying a lot as they are the only company in my 18 trips I have returned to hunt with. They have huge buffalo that are all self-sustaining, it's a real buffalo hunt. The grounds are nice, rooms are all connected by a lovely living room, kitchen, and if the ladies would like, Jo will gladly set them up in town for a massage, pedicure, sightseeing, etc. My girlfriend is not a hunter, wants no part of hunting, so if I were to ever take her, I would take her somewhere like Tsala. Awesome you want to go with your father, my father and I hunted Africa 3 times, now that he is gone I look back upon those times even more fondly! There is nowhere in Zim I would ever want to take a non-hunting family member.
I guess you meant hunting camps and areas?
Because there are plenty of places to take non hunters in Zim.
Zambezi river and Victoria Falls area has a lot of awesome resorts.
Also hunting camps in Bubya Valley Conservancy are quite nice..

I'd post your request very clearly on the deals section as "hunt wanted". You may get a few sponsor outfitters that have packages that they can arrange that may work for you.

Completely agree about tsala. I got a 43 inch buff after long stalks over 7 days, hunting a leopard with them in 25 then back for buff in 26. They are hard to beat. You and your family would all have a great time!

I hunted the Dande in Zim a couple of years ago. I fell in love with the country. I guess it all comes down to your family. If they’ve travelled in the developing world before and are accustomed to the conditions then by all means take them. If their idea of roughing it is a room at the Holiday Inn, then SA makes more sense.

Might want to look at some of the areas and outfitters near VF.

I took my wife who had never hunted or been anywhere "not fancy" on my and her first safari in Zim back in 2005, country was much different back then and we never felt unsafe, we both LOVED Zim, its sights, smells, game, people and the safari it gave us. Maybe not all is 5 star but you understand if that's really what safari is about for your group. I personally do not think its dangerous.

I do not know your wife or parents abilities, age, capabilities, expectations, health or many other specifics but after some research and communication with them I am sure no one better than you and them could decide if Zim is for your group. There are many things for a family to do in Zim, Vic falls, Hwange and lots others all listed on here in detail in other threads.

As for what Zim outfitters would charge for your specific situation, I have found ALL Zim outfitters to be the best of the best. Tell them all you want, need, expect, can and cannot dos and have them respond. You may be surprised at the offers. I personally recommend contacting Wayne @NYAMAZANA SAFARIS, he went over and above to get me my dream ele. He was also honest when I contacted him for my 2021 safari telling me up front he could not do what I asked for my budget. One can not expect better from an outfit. No harm in asking him.

Go ahead and ask your questions, you all decide if Zim is a fit for you. I do say it will be a life changing experience all for the better. What memories added to the life bank.

MB

Hi everyone

Firstly great to meet you all a wonderful community got going here, an honor to join!
Being young and inexperienced myself I being part of the upcoming generation, would love to hear some of your suggestions/ advice. I have done a couple of safaris in South Africa which have been great but am keen to do my first Big Game Safari in Zimbabwe hopefully later on in the year. I plan on taking my parents as well as my wife which would be their first safari.

The main focus being I am quite keen to get my old man onto a buffalo and once he has been successful try my hand at one should there be availability/ opportunity to do so. And then I would look to pick up a couple of plains game along the way, and possibly look at a hippo on land. So aiming at a 12-16 day safari length in a high quality area.

Being a family we don't want to split up and thus want to go with one PH. What I am wanting some advice on is a situation where you have 1x full time so to speak hunter that would be me and, 1x hunter that would only be after one animal, what is the procedure for daily rates? Due to the fact that I am after a variety of species I obviously would be considered a full time hunter. However, should due to the fact that I would like my father to take the first buffalo and lets say it takes him 4 days to do so, upon completion will he still be considered a full time hunter? So having successfully getting his target animal and calling it a day on the hunt, from the next day does he technically become an observer? or because he has hunted an animal he is still regarded ,as a hunter thus paying those rates?

Regards
Hi,

It sounds like you want a great hunt and I am sure you will find what your looking for.

As a Zimbabwe operator and PH I would like to make a couple of comments. Your PH is responsible for the safety of everyone in your party, that is foremost. Does your mother and wife plan on tagging along while your hunting or sitting in camp? 1 PH and 3 observers is not conducive to safety or a successful hunt.

Your party is going to require in Zim 2 vehicles and in my opinion 2 PHs or double or costs. Yes Victoria falls is nice, but how many days does anyone want to watch water falling off a cliff. There are some great hotels in VC, but expensive.

One word of warning depending on where you are in Zim most of the roads in Zim are a disaster and do not drive at night.

Zimbabwe is a great hunting destination for hunters. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance.

Lon

Reading one of the earlier threads it was mentioned driving. I would not recommend traveling from RSA to Zim with firearms.

Lon

I completely agree with @375Fox I would not take my family to Zim. Don’t misunderstand me, Zim is a great place to hunt…just not really family oriented. Given it is your family’s first safari Zim is quite spartan. I would take them to SA. You can find dozens of outfitters with packages versus day rates and trophy fees. I have done both so speak from experience
I agree Craig. It is not a great place for observers.

Hi everyone

Being a family we don't want to split up and thus want to go with one PH. What I am wanting some advice on is a situation where you have 1x full time so to speak hunter that would be me and, 1x hunter that would only be after one animal, what is the procedure for daily rates? Due to the fact that I am after a variety of species I obviously would be considered a full time hunter. However, should due to the fact that I would like my father to take the first buffalo and lets say it takes him 4 days to do so, upon completion will he still be considered a full time hunter? So having successfully getting his target animal and calling it a day on the hunt, from the next day does he technically become an observer? or because he has hunted an animal he is still regarded as a hunter thus paying those rates?

Regards
I would change plans if I was you. I would either just take your dad and hunt Zim 2x1 or if you must take everyone you would be better off hunting in RSA on a game ranch. A DG hunt in a true wilderness area is not a great place for observers. Also you can't add on DG once you get there. RSA is mostly private land and you can shoot until the checkbook wears out. In big government DG concessions a tight quota is established and followed. All of your Dangerous 7 would have to be booked well in advance in most cases and your add ons would be some PG possibly.

Reading one of the earlier threads it was mentioned driving. I would not recommend traveling from RSA to Zim with firearms.

Lon
Can you explain why do you not recommend traveling to Zim from SA with firearms?
I know many South Africans doing it on a daily basis..

That it the difference, they are familiar with the law and the paperwork. Personally I do not know of anyone who travels daily between RSA and Zimbabwe.

Crossing between RSA & Zimbabwe thru airports is one thing. Crossing at a Border post is something all together different.

Then as in this self driven scenario where will he leave his rifle while he and the family are sight seeing. You can take the rifle to the police station and they will hold it for you be ready for a two hour wait for check in and another two hours for pick up. Recently I had to check a rifle in with police overnight. I had to go to 3 police stations before one would accept and that was after having a friend intercede and he is the chief of police intelligence for Zimbabwe.

Seriously one of the people that you know thar crosses back and forth daily should give us the border post info. This would be a benefit to many hunters.

Thanks for the info.

That it the difference, they are familiar with the law and the paperwork. Personally I do not know of anyone who travels daily between RSA and Zimbabwe.

Crossing between RSA & Zimbabwe thru airports is one thing. Crossing at a Border post is something all together different.

Then as in this self driven scenario where will he leave his rifle while he and the family are sight seeing. You can take the rifle to the police station and they will hold it for you be ready for a two hour wait for check in and another two hours for pick up. Recently I had to check a rifle in with police overnight. I had to go to 3 police stations before one would accept and that was after having a friend intercede and he is the chief of police intelligence for Zimbabwe.

Seriously one of the people that you know thar crosses back and forth daily should give us the border post info. This would be a benefit to many hunters.

Thanks for the info.
I know couple people who did border crossing from SA to Zim with their rifles and had no problems.
Some of them were South African hunters and some were foreigners.
When I said daily I meant this happening at the border post on a daily basis, mostly SA hunters.
As a foreigner your South African gun permit is sufficient and obviously you have to complete formalities to enter Zim and it's no different than entering from an airport.
Leaving rifles somewhere while sightseeing might be a problem in Zim and have no idea how to handle it.
I'll be driving to Zim from Pretoria in June and I'll report back..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.