Your favorite hunting rifle of all time

I have listed my favorites before but I will have used the last 2 years deer hunting a weatherby 257 it is quite impressive 110 accubonds
@wolfhunter
A fast 25 is impressive full stop. Killes way above its pay grade. Dang Roy Weatherby even kilt a Rhino with on.
Bob

To echo @Bob Nelson 35Whelen, the quarter bores are a great option. It may not be my favorite just yet but the new to me, 25-06 has been devastating on deer and pigs this season for me. I shot one of the biggest boars I’ve ever shot with it yesterday at about 150 yards, went about 20 yards and it was all over. The deer I’ve shot with it have all been bang/flop, lights out. I plan on having a new trigger installed here pretty soon and that will make it even better. I’ve been doing all my damage with 117 grain Hornady interlocks. Some of the bounty the 25-06 has provided this season
72057519700__6573F7A3-D05E-462B-AECC-CB5438CBC9C8.jpeg
IMG_5970.jpeg
IMG_6647.jpeg

Ok I could do thet with my Dg 500 Jeff, 404 Jeff or 375 H&H.....just trying to figure out the velovity vs game hunted vs distance issue....

I would use my 7x57mm for that...

To echo @Bob Nelson 35Whelen, the quarter bores are a great option. It may not be my favorite just yet but the new to me, 25-06 has been devastating on deer and pigs this season for me. I shot one of the biggest boars I’ve ever shot with it yesterday at about 150 yards, went about 20 yards and it was all over. The deer I’ve shot with it have all been bang/flop, lights out. I plan on having a new trigger installed here pretty soon and that will make it even better. I’ve been doing all my damage with 117 grain Hornady interlocks. Some of the bounty the 25-06 has provided this season
View attachment 580497View attachment 580499View attachment 580495
@Fatback
You've gotta love a nice 25, it's everything the 243s want to be but never will be.
Two other great bullets for the 25-06 are the 117grain SST absolutely devastating at 3,000fps and the 100gn TTSX at 3,400fps out of your 25-06.
Bob

@Fatback
You've gotta love a nice 25, it's everything the 243s want to be but never will be.
Two other great bullets for the 25-06 are the 117grain SST absolutely devastating at 3,000fps and the 100gn TTSX at 3,400fps out of your 25-06.
Bob
A .25-06 was my second centerfire (after a .22-250)...both Remington 700 BDL's. I've slayed a ton of white tails with both. .25-06 is a good cartridge. My new oddball favorite is a Model 70 in .264 Win Mag. It rocks them :)

In the U.S., most states won't allow you to use a .22 centerfire for deer. Hogwash. They work fine. We've dropped scads of them with .22 magnums. You just hit where the ear joins the head. Never had one move. But you can also use it for squirrel and turkey. I have an Anshutz 164 that's older than I am that my dad bought way back and gave it to me forty years ago. It's got the schnabel forend and "wundheim" grip swell. It's a nice piece. I later bought a Weatherby Mk XXII which is the same action in a Weatherby stock in .17 Hornady Magnum. The clips are interchangable between them (don't ever lose one...they're hard to find). Anshutz always made good stuff. Apparently they only made that bolt action "Weatherby" for a few years.... Always wanted a .257 Weatherby but never got one. I do have a .270 Weatherby in an Accumark and that thing is a laser beam. It was my go to deer rifle for twenty years...until I got the .264. They're nearly identical in what they do. With the .270 Roy, I've only ever had one deer take one step after being hit by it...and it was my fault and the shot was through brush and wasn't the perfect hit I like to make. Usually they're dead before they hit the ground. I know...small game compared to what's on here....but I really like those calibers. Would like a 7x57 sometime but do have a nice M70 Featherweight in 7mm-08 so it's close :)

I later bought a Weatherby Mk XXII which is the same action in a Weatherby stock in .17 Hornady Magnum.

I had one of these rifles. I was dumb and sold it. Great little rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Louisehox

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}