You guys with Ruger Africans in .275 Rigby take notice of this!!

I believe the issue is if you are taking the rifle to let's say Africa, and the rifle is stamped 275 Rigby, you can't bring 7x57 ammo with you.
Never caused me a problem. Having said that I’ve only hunted Namibia 1/2 a dozen times or so. The Namibian police at Hosea Katuko are totally cool. They let us leave our rifles with them while we hired a 4x4 from Namibia2Go for a few days touring.

IMG_2374.jpeg
IMG_2327.jpeg
a1a99dd4-27f6-4429-a8d0-fa76b80898ff.jpeg
IMG_1624.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
this ruger #1 in 45-70 must be the exception, it shoots like this with no out side work done on it. 100 yards from a lead sled with a 300 gr hornady and a healthy load of H-4198

View attachment 574346View attachment 574347View attachment 574348
My .280 No.1 African does pretty well at 1.25" at 100 yards with 175 grain rounds. I think they had a few lemons in the 90s, but they sorted out the pressure placed on the bottom of the barrel by the mechanism, and they seem to do pretty well now.

My dad had one in the late 90s that would put 4 rounds into an inch, then always threw a random flyer about 3 inches one way or another.

Attachments

• RUGER M77 HAWKEYE ARICAN .375 RUGER 23%22 - NEW - 37186 - Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com ...pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
  • RUGER M77 HAWKEYE ARICAN .375 RUGER 23%22 - NEW - 37186 - Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com ...pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
Looked up the buyer. One of his purchases, another Ruger African has been relisted. My nose says shill bidder. Give the .275 a week or so to see if it lists again.

Latest listing, same seller:

What is it that Lee Corso says on ESPN College Gameday............"Not so fast my friend!"

The sellers of both rifles purchased by "Ammotime" reported prompt payment from the buyer. "Ammotime" appears to be legit. The seller of the 375 Ruger, Lane Firearms, might have more than one rifle.

1702471945850.png

this ruger #1 in 45-70 must be the exception, it shoots like this with no out side work done on it. 100 yards from a lead sled with a 300 gr hornady and a healthy load of H-4198

View attachment 574346View attachment 574347View attachment 574348
Nice. Wish I could get my 404 to group like that (but I don't have a Lead Sled). Not wanting to risk appearing an unknowledgable fool (again), but let me ask what's the purpose of the groove cut into end of the fore end?

what's the purpose of the groove cut into end of the fore end?

I've seen many different answers to that question. Funniest was a bottle opener. One I think might be the most functional: The original purpose of the fore end notch on the old rifles was to create a place to securely tie a rifle to a vertical gun rack in a wagon. I like the feature for it suits a traditionally styled rifle like the 1A.

I've seen many different answers to that question. Funniest was a bottle opener. One I think might be the most functional: The original purpose of the fore end notch on the old rifles was to create a place to securely tie a rifle to a vertical gun rack in a wagon. I like the feature for it suits a traditionally styled rifle like the 1A.
Thanks. From reading the article, it appears the fore end groove may be decorative, an acknowledgement of Alexaner Henry's contribution to the Ruger No. 1.

Thanks. From reading the article, it appears the fore end groove may be decorative, an acknowledgement of Alexaner Henry's contribution to the Ruger No. 1.
@Ontario Hunter
I personally think that groove ruins what could be a beautiful forend that could be put on it.
To me it's as useful and pretty as an ashtray on on a custom Harley.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrinidadOg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.