Graham Hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Alaska Canada US New Zealand Scotland South Africa Zimbabwe
One more. Post 64 model 70 in 30-06. Comes with the old Redfield 4x scope. Gun is in fair condition. Rifling is clean and sharp. Gun has been packed and shows wear on both bluing and wood. Nothing major just lots of hunting trips. $450.00 shipped.

Win061.jpg
Win062.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were CRF (pre- or post-64) I'd grab it for my son!

Agreed, I have one like this in 338 Win Mag and it’s a good rifle, shoots well.

Wow, not bad to have for a project or a loaner for those out of town family members. :) Good luck on the sale, too bad I'm safari poor at this time. :(

That'd be nice for a PH loaner gun. Perhaps one of the ones that resides in the US in our Winter? 450,000 Rand! lol

at work now, but I can think of many...I have found that ALL CRF guns I've ever owned are generally more accurate than typ push-feeds. Likely something having to do with tolerances and repeatability. So you're stalking the <enter fav> trophy of a lifetime....It's looking right at you, you're lying sideways on a cliff-the only shot you have is w/ the rifle sideways (bolt-down.) You may have blown the first shot, or no round in the chamber...you go to place a round in the chamber-and it falls out! And, that opportunity is gone! Feed issues more likely to occur than with CRFs. lol Least accurate guns owned/fired: Non-CRF Rem, Win (I have made most of 'em shoot w/ accurization, handloading-but not all!) Most accurate guns owned: CRF Mausers, Enfields, M70s, Montana 1999s, Ruger 77s. Also fully custom 700s (push feed), but even they become tempermental after a time. Factory ones generally make me cringe. I know there are (sometimes marketing puff) articles written re: the pros/cons of both, but this has been my personal experience for the last 45 yrs. My machine shop buddies are fond of saying the CRF actions cost more to produce...and there, you have it! Why the Granite Mtn action alone is N. of $3K!

PM headed your way

Also, my interest in purchasing the above gun, if CRF, was to simply take the action and make a fully custom new gun.

at work now, but I can think of many...I have found that ALL CRF guns I've ever owned are generally more accurate than typ push-feeds. Likely something having to do with tolerances and repeatability. So you're stalking the <enter fav> trophy of a lifetime....It's looking right at you, you're lying sideways on a cliff-the only shot you have is w/ the rifle sideways (bolt-down.) You may have blown the first shot, or no round in the chamber...you go to place a round in the chamber-and it falls out! And, that opportunity is gone! Feed issues more likely to occur than with CRFs. lol Least accurate guns owned/fired: Non-CRF Rem, Win (I have made most of 'em shoot w/ accurization, handloading-but not all!) Most accurate guns owned: CRF Mausers, Enfields, M70s, Montana 1999s, Ruger 77s. Also fully custom 700s (push feed), but even they become tempermental after a time. Factory ones generally make me cringe. I know there are (sometimes marketing puff) articles written re: the pros/cons of both, but this has been my personal experience for the last 45 yrs. My machine shop buddies are fond of saying the CRF actions cost more to produce...and there, you have it! Why the Granite Mtn action alone is N. of $3K!

I'm definitely not an expert in action types and have no dog in this fight (I use both types regularly), but I thought push feeds were considered inherently more accurate than CRFs? I've always heard that's why the majority of long range/benchrest rifles are PF. Not that a tiny advantage either way in accuracy would make a ton of difference for practical shooting and/or hunting purposes, but I'm sure it does if you're trying to win shooting competitions with targets a couple thousand yards away.

I thought the allure of CRF was the feeding/ejection reliability and ability to prevent short-stroke double feeds. Never heard that they were also more accurate.

I'm definitely not an expert in action types and have no dog in this fight (I use both types regularly), but I thought push feeds were considered inherently more accurate than CRFs? I've always heard that's why the majority of long range/benchrest rifles are PF. Not that a tiny advantage either way in accuracy would make a ton of difference for practical shooting and/or hunting purposes, but I'm sure it does if you're trying to win shooting competitions with targets a couple thousand yards away.

I thought the allure of CRF was the feeding/ejection reliability and ability to prevent short-stroke double feeds. Never heard that they were also more accurate.
I am totally on-board with push-feed Customs (not factory POS.) Wby is a good example of what i consider factory semi-custom (there are many other new kids on the block that are fine as well. That 9-lug short throw Mk V Wby action is very nice and beefy, indeed.) I like Bansner, Borden actions. The custom push-feeds have no factory (Rem) parts whatsoever. Excepting the custom push-feeds, the most accurate (and repeatably accurate under any conditions-temp changes come to mind) guns I own are all CRF. Perhaps it's just good luck? Things the factories would never, ever say (or pay someone to advertise) today. ;) There could be more to it-the quality craftsmanship of many of those CRF guns....Montana's were a lower-volume, semi-custom, the Win was completely done over by Shaw (only a factory action remains,) the A-Square's were somewhere between semi-custom and custom (bedded action and barrel, cross-bolted, proper tolerances,) but I've had the very same one-hole groups or all shots touching using factory Whitworth and Interarms M98s with proper ammo. I guess I'm anti-factory push feeds these days based upon relatively poor accuracy. I'll listen when it comes to customs and that newer, half-breed CRF action that LAW developed in conjunction with others wonderful (though too many orders to process became an issue). I've overheard many convos to the effect of "this gun was made on Monday or Friday...this one was made at the beginning and this one the end of the tooling, etc. etc.-so some people get really lucky and others don't care or notice for their purposes. I remember very well discussing my ideas with Dr. Lou Palmisano (PPC) he letting me shoot at his long range w/ my .264 WSM (after an exchange w/ Jim Borden and Mark Bansner that made the gun to go with my ammo) and yes, it was a one-of-a-kind (at the time) push feed. Super accurate to extreme distances, but now finicky in low temps after some mileage....Not my CRFs. Never. All have been subjected to many hot handloads over the years. Dropping off my formerly tied for most accurate gun (w/ 5 other CRFs of every Mfr) to be checked out by the gunsmith who built it, as it seems to have developed some issues. Factory pfs are simply cheaper to make and more profitable. Nearly all need a fair amount of hot-rodding to shoot really well (which can be fun if you have the time.) I own 'em too (sold all plain jane factory) but my lifetime stats show the CRF guns being perfect every time and the push-feeds all having their issues (either everytime or sometimes-which can be very disturbing on once-in-a-lifetime shots or hunts.)

Last edited:
It's too late to be in on this, but I'm wondering if the rifle was made after the 1968 improvements.

... So you're stalking the <enter fav> trophy of a lifetime....It's looking right at you, you're lying sideways on a cliff-the only shot you have is w/ the rifle sideways (bolt-down.) You may have blown the first shot, or no round in the chamber...you go to place a round in the chamber-and it falls out! And, that opportunity is gone! ...

What are the real-life possibility of the above "what if" happening though? If one has to take a 4-500+ yard shot at a target all contorted and unstable then one probably never had a good shot anyway and needed to reposition oneself. I am assuming a sheep hunt scenario with cliffs and all.

Sometimes the best shot is one not taken.

What are the real-life possibility of the above "what if" happening though? If one has to take a 4-500+ yard shot at a target all contorted and unstable then one probably never had a good shot anyway and needed to reposition oneself. I am assuming a sheep hunt scenario with cliffs and all.

Sometimes the best shot is one not taken.
i was thinking the more close-up mtn goat variety where you come upon them very close (beneath you, just across a gorge, behind rocks-but you are pinned down.) yes, you can keep hunting and there will always be another shot. i used to make a point of stalking 3 or more different areas per day hunting deer and bear...and of course, i'd unload the M98 CRF between drives to each place. well, at day's end, arriving at the last place, i was tired, but walked in to see 5 bucks walking down a mountain to feed in a clearing...i forgot to put one in the chamber...i scoped each buck, picked out the largest and he "was in the bag," until i pulled the trigger (loud CLICK,) then cycled the action (even LOUDER) to load a round-and they were instantly 35 MPH targets that quickly ran into dark, thick mtn laurels. in that instance, i think the PF would've been more quiet! LOL i drive past that place all the time and still kicking myself in the pants after decades! i'm def not clinically insane, as i learned from that experience (never again.) LOL

Last edited:
and yeah, i'd never be taking a canted (any degree) long shot with any gun. has to be the right setup for long shots or no shot at all. i see an awful lot of wounded and missed argali/ibex/sheep shots and i smh. you really need the proper equipment (not untouched factory pos guns.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UrsulaWilh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,