Why do Europeans add greenery to trophy photos?

Justbryan

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
South Africa, New Zealand, USA, Canada,
I was wondering and tried to Google why some people add greenery to antler horns or in the animals mouth during trophy photos? I see it in some African and European hunts.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is indeed a sign of respect. One twig as a last meal for the animal you have hunted, in its mouth. One twig on the wound to acknowledge the mortal wound that the hunter caused and one twig in the hat of the hunter to bring the connection between nature, animal and hunter full circle. Often this last one will also have a few drops of blood of the animal on it. This to show the connection between animal and hunter.

Thanks for asking that Bryan; I had wondered the same and never thought to ask. Thanks to those who answered.

If your quarry is a carnivore, is there an alternative?

Well this is mostly a Germanic tradition. The only carnivores that are hunted here would be fox, which is more seen as a pest. But surprisingly, if we would perform this ritual, we would still take the three twigs. It symbolises a meal without actually being a meal. Which is why I spoke of a twig, a small branch, not a fistful of berries or grass.

For deer, wild boar and roedeer, we would still use a twig, not acorns, grass, or other.

Letzebissen or Last Bite.
84323F5D-2804-48AC-B0F2-B8938CD76530.jpeg

Well this is mostly a Germanic tradition. The only carnivores that are hunted here would be fox, which is more seen as a pest. But surprisingly, if we would perform this ritual, we would still take the three twigs. It symbolises a meal without actually being a meal. Which is why I spoke of a twig, a small branch, not a fistful of berries or grass.

For deer, wild boar and roedeer, we would still use a twig, not acorns, grass, or other.
Makes sense.

I read once there were preferred plant types to use for this. If I am remembering correctly oak or evergreen was most often used. Is there any truth to this? I really like this tradition and am looking to incorporate it into my hunting and photography.

Apparently my ancestors killed for food and none of the above ceremonial stuff was ever passed on to me.
Though on one hunt, my guide did perform a symbolic feeding of the dead deer, but it made no impression on me and I considered it a waste of time.

Apparently my ancestors killed for food and none of the above ceremonial stuff was ever passed on to me.
Though on one hunt, my guide did perform a symbolic feeding of the dead deer, but it made no impression on me and I considered it a waste of time.

Although I have participated and performed myself very often this ritual, I must admit that at times some hunters put a bit too much weight on this symbolism, while having just done a driven hunt where six shots were taken on every animal that passed and many injured animals escaped… I have my own thoughts about those hunters…

Compare it to the very pious catholic making big gestures in church, but in day to day life will not lift a finger for another.

But admittedly, the full ceremony in the evening with torches and for each specie it’s own horn song, that’s something very special.

"But admittedly, the full ceremony in the evening with torches and for each specie it’s own horn song, that’s something very special."
Also new to me. Just blame it on my Commoner roots! In Texas, we would be eating steaks from the dear departed game rather than singing a horn song.
Oh well, to each his own.

Like the old saying…when in Rome….

One of the reasons I like hunting in other countries is learning about their traditions and culture. My first trip to Namibia my PH took the time to explain the traditions and I enthusiastically took part. I don’t carry the tradition on in Missouri when I kill a deer, because it’s not the place for it. Although I might start this season come to think of it.

One of the reasons I like hunting in other countries is learning about their traditions and culture. My first trip to Namibia my PH took the time to explain the traditions and I enthusiastically took part. I don’t carry the tradition on in Missouri when I kill a deer, because it’s not the place for it. Although I might start this season come to think of it.
I give my animals a respectful pat on the head and say a silent thank you.

I read once there were preferred plant types to use for this. If I am remembering correctly oak or evergreen was most often used. Is there any truth to this? I really like this tradition and am looking to incorporate it into my hunting and photography.
One should use a native tree. For example, there's a lot of Douglas Fir here that was planted to replace trees that were chopped down "artillery high". Don't use Doug Fir.

Yip, history has placed generations of German culture in Namibia & why you see these old traditions practiced more commonly there vs. RSA, Bots, or Zim as example.

I secured my European Hunting License or Jagdschein in Germany, 6-month course, 2-nights aweek & 1/2 day on Saturday, so you must commit to the course time & phases: the first 8-weeks was History & Traditions. Boring to some & most dropped out in academics or couldn’t pass the shooting phases. Jagdschein is for life … I share that, being a Hunter & owning Weapons is a higher act of Citizen Responsibility, some say status, I don’t say status but this can be Lost if you Fail to display responsibility.

Example: DWI/DUI, poor choice & failure to display citizen responsibility meaning you could make poor choices w/ your weapon - in most of these cases, you lose your Jagdschein for life & w/ it your Weapons Card or Waffenbesitzkarte (WBK). No WBK = no weapons @ the house & your collection Sold or Stored @ a Club for range shooting - for life. Serious Biz over here …

Traditions date back many centuries to Saint Hubertus, patron Saint of Hunters afew other tradesI included a stain glass picture for reference, any Jagermeister sippers in the audience: hence the history to the Logo.

266DDB9B-98F5-471E-852A-0E3C74BB2A7B.jpeg

If your quarry is a carnivore, is there an alternative?
As @VertigoBE shared, mostly sourced from old German traditions & Letzebissen/Last Bite was originally only intended for: Male Cloven Hoofed trophies.

The branch must be broke not cut & from a tree native to the Country … hence, why you see allot of spruce or pine used here in Germany.

A shoutout to BE: Saint Hubertus origins are from the area of Leige, Belgium or 1.5hrs from where I live In Germany.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dreamer44

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?