Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
I'll be fortunate once again to fly in Qatar's QSuite business class for our Zimbabwe Safari this July. My youngest son Jasper is graduating HS so the hunt and the plane ride are a bit of a graduation present. After seeing sky high prices for Delta and Qatar I was becoming discouraged about the prospect of us getting a decent seat for this adventure. Delta PS was $6000 and Qatar Business was showing $8000. Patrick Wright was able to do some digging for me and offered a $4300 R/T on Qatar if we were willing to transit JNB and overnight in departure. What a pain but I said ok. Due to schedule changes we will stay at Africa Sky on arrival before boarding the Airlink flight to HRE. JNB ground staff have become totally unreliable in the early AM hours so Qatar had to change their normal schedule to a much later arrival. This made it impossible to get to HRE and on the charter plane and to camp by dark. Bummer, TIA already! I'll report more as we get closer to our safari to the Omay with Dalton and York. I look forward to not only hunting with my son but new friends as well on this group hunt.

1712233407487.jpeg

1712233444096.jpeg

Me and my wife will be flying Qatar BC out of JFK to JNB late June for a 45 day trip to RSA and ZIM hunting and visiting family.
When you stay as long as we do, long connections and layovers does not matter.
I always look for the best value for my money and Delta and United is not where it is.
Good Luck.

We’ll be on Qatar from DFW to Doha to Joberg on July 19th… then headed back to the US on the 28th..

Qatar Qsuite is an awesome way to fly over to Africa. Was in Qsuite last August and was a great experience.

I just went to Uganda last month on Qatar, first time I had flown with them. I loved their food service, and the Qsuites are quite nice. I enjoyed this airline so much I have booked with them to return to South Africa this September. My flight will be from Dulles to Doha then to JNB. For my last flight, and this upcoming flight, I was in Qsuite for the long flight, then the shorter flight had a different seat, it was very nice, but no door like the Qsuite.

Headed to JNB leaving BOS 4/12 return on 4/23. We are in cattle class
My wife and I are flying Qatar arrive JNB on 23rd, We'll wave at you

I'll be fortunate once again to fly in Qatar's QSuite business class for our Zimbabwe Safari this July. My youngest son Jasper is graduating HS so the hunt and the plane ride are a bit of a graduation present. After seeing sky high prices for Delta and Qatar I was becoming discouraged about the prospect of us getting a decent seat for this adventure. Delta PS was $6000 and Qatar Business was showing $8000. Patrick Wright was able to do some digging for me and offered a $4300 R/T on Qatar if we were willing to transit JNB and overnight in departure. What a pain but I said ok. Due to schedule changes we will stay at Africa Sky on arrival before boarding the Airlink flight to HRE. JNB ground staff have become totally unreliable in the early AM hours so Qatar had to change their normal schedule to a much later arrival. This made it impossible to get to HRE and on the charter plane and to camp by dark. Bummer, TIA already! I'll report more as we get closer to our safari to the Omay with Dalton and York. I look forward to not only hunting with my son but new friends as well on this group hunt.

View attachment 597329

View attachment 597330
We know how great those seats are!

Not flying Qatar this year. Flying BA twice this year. Once for vacation ( B class) and once for hunting in Croatia & Slovenia (Premium Eco). Next year most likely Qatar to JRO.

Headed to Botswana via Johannesburg on May 23rd flying Qatar via Dallas. Only a little over 30 days away and getting really excited. Hunting with NKWE with eland and kudu the main targets this trip

Phil - how have you found Airlink to transit with firearms? Starting to think about travel options to the Save next year. My wife is likely making the trip with me (her first trip). I usually take two rifles, but heard Airlink had an issue with that when I booked my 2023 trip with TWG (post-Patrick.....never again).

Phil - how have you found Airlink to transit with firearms? Starting to think about travel options to the Save next year. My wife is likely making the trip with me (her first trip). I usually take two rifles, but heard Airlink had an issue with that when I booked my 2023 trip with TWG (post-Patrick.....never again).
Last May there were 2 guys from Canada flying to The Eastern Cape on same Airlink flight as me, I met the night before at Africa Sky both of them had 2 Rifles no problem that I could see.

I flew Airlink in Sept 2022, JNB to PE and back, I had 2 rifles in my case, they are only concerned with the weight of the gun case as that is how they determine the fee to fly your firearm. If I recall correctly it cost around 85.00US both ways to fly my rifle and ammo case.

Big fan of Qatar. First trip to S. Africa was using BA and only benefit to that was that it was ridiculously low $3400 roundtrip from US to JNB for First Class (and then received something like $800 back for being downgraded to Biz on one leg and a second leg having a >6 hours delay). On return flight they had to remove a flight attendant who was ill and then unsurprisingly I had COVID a day or so after returning home. Not a fan of BA at all. And though I didn't end up taking a rifle with me, they had noted my ticket as travelling with a rifle so it was a hassle each time through London. Would have been even worse if I actually had a rifle.

Flew Qatar last year and it was 1000% better. Easy travel with a rifle. Great onboard service. Q Suite only from US to DOH though, had older biz class from DOH-JNB. Still, looking forward to two hunts this year both flying on Qatar. One in June and one in September.

Ni
Me and my wife will be flying Qatar BC out of JFK to JNB late June for a 45 day trip to RSA and ZIM hunting and visiting family.
When you stay as long as we do, long connections and layovers does not matter.
I always look for the best value for my money and Delta and United is not where it is.
Good Luck.
Nice!

I just went to Uganda last month on Qatar, first time I had flown with them. I loved their food service, and the Qsuites are quite nice. I enjoyed this airline so much I have booked with them to return to South Africa this September. My flight will be from Dulles to Doha then to JNB. For my last flight, and this upcoming flight, I was in Qsuite for the long flight, then the shorter flight had a different seat, it was very nice, but no door like the Qsuite.
Same for me when I went to Tanzania after Zim 2 years ago. Qsuite will spoil you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KayleighMe

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.