Who is chasing the spiral horn slam?

Not sure that I am "chasing" a Spiral Slam, but @Scott CWO and @JES Adventures are inspiring me to at least think about it (or they are just bad influences).

I've taken quite a few of the spirals already, and I'm looking forward to hunting Harnessed Bush buck in Cameroon in March. I love the various species, and I love the hunt, but the value preposition for a few of them, particularly the LDE and the Mtn Nyala, are getting tough to justify. You can hunt Cameroon at something approaching reasonable cost until its an LDE hunt, and then you are in for $40K USD. You can hunt the same area, for most of the same species, for easily 1/3rd of the cost. Mountain Nyala is not much better.

I'm also a big fan of the ringed horns, and would more than likely pursue the Ringed-Horn Slam over the spirals. If you aren't familiar, the Gerenuk is a very interesting critter. Of course, if you are hunting Gerenuk you are in Lesser Kudu country, so what not try and take them both. That and I personally think the various Roan are incredibly majestic.

I'm currently thinking about/working my way through all the huntable countries in Africa, and really felt like I was making progress, until I read something from @JES Adventures about Chad. Now have to rethink my plans. The C.A.R. and Chad do require some planning well beyond just species selection, though if I memory serves, Chad is home to the Western Greater kudu, and that is on the Spiral Horn slam list. And there is that bad influence again.

I never focused on all spiral horns. However enjoyed adventuring after the four subspecies of sitatunga. Also, all legal to hunt subspecies of bushbuck. Along the way I guess i collected the spiral horned animals. I have been a lucky man
All 4 sub-species of sitatunga AND bushbuck...wow! Any highlights/photos you can share? How many sub-species of bushbuck are available today...6?

Not sure that I am "chasing" a Spiral Slam, but @Scott CWO and @JES Adventures are inspiring me to at least think about it (or they are just bad influences).

I've taken quite a few of the spirals already, and I'm looking forward to hunting Harnessed Bush buck in Cameroon in March. I love the various species, and I love the hunt, but the value preposition for a few of them, particularly the LDE and the Mtn Nyala, are getting tough to justify. You can hunt Cameroon at something approaching reasonable cost until its an LDE hunt, and then you are in for $40K USD. You can hunt the same area, for most of the same species, for easily 1/3rd of the cost. Mountain Nyala is not much better.

I'm also a big fan of the ringed horns, and would more than likely pursue the Ringed-Horn Slam over the spirals. If you aren't familiar, the Gerenuk is a very interesting critter. Of course, if you are hunting Gerenuk you are in Lesser Kudu country, so what not try and take them both. That and I personally think the various Roan are incredibly majestic.

I'm currently thinking about/working my way through all the huntable countries in Africa, and really felt like I was making progress, until I read something from @JES Adventures about Chad. Now have to rethink my plans. The C.A.R. and Chad do require some planning well beyond just species selection, though if I memory serves, Chad is home to the Western Greater kudu, and that is on the Spiral Horn slam list. And there is that bad influence again.
Chad and Benin! I was also looking at some offerings by Diana group for Burkina Faso buffalo that seemed surprisingly reasonable in cost.

Clearthorn, with all of your experiences and only 2 hunt reports...can we talk you into posting more about them? I would love to hear about some of these other locations that are reported on less frequently here.

I will try. I am 85 and not good at photo transfers, if i can find photos

IMG_0329.jpeg
P1000296.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want help posting photos, I'm happy to assist you.

The East African Sitatunga on the grass is a real dandy. I killed it near Lake Burigi, Tanzania. Unfortunately, Burigi is now closed to public hunting. It is one of Africa most beautiful areas located east of Lake Victoria. I made a nice long shot dropping it cleanly and the boys waded out to it excitedly dragging it back through the beautiful swamp water. You would have thought we had taken a black maned lion by their thrilled reactions.

Last edited:
I have to admire anyone chasing or accomplishing the spiral slam, especially those going for all the sub species. I dont have a burning desire to do it, but do have a strong desire to get all of the bushbucks. Mostly because of all the different places it will take you. And I love hunting them, by far my favorite African species to hunt.

I would like to hunt lesser kudu one more time. And could see myself going for a Sitatunga at some point but would probably try to combine that with a black lechwe. Can't imagine going after all 4, those would be some cool hunts.

I admire Eland but never had a desire to shoot one, except one time, I believe it was a Patterson's eland that was so old and so thin, when I watched it bed I was almost sure it wasn't going to get back up, felt bad for the old guy. I understand why people want to hunt them, and to see a big one is an amazing experience, I was with a friend when he got a huge Livingston and I think I was more excited than if I had shot it. I can still vividly remember watching it drop.

Bongo I think are the most beautiful animal in the world, but I'm on the fence in if I will ever do it. My Irish ass was not meant for the jungle, and it is a dream hunt but not sure I will ever go after one.

I still need to go after a Greater Kudu, and plan to someday hunt them for 2 weeks in the rut. But don't feel a ton of pressure to do that hunt. Actually here is a fun fact about me, 5 trips to Africa, haven't killed a Greater Kudu, Southern Impala, Gemsbuck, Wildebeest, Warthog or Zebra! So still plenty to do! In fact this whole thread is making me realize how much I miss Africa and how much there is still to see.

I’ve only taken four spiral horned species - Greater Kudu, Chobe Bushbuck, Nyala and Livingstone Eland. I leave in a couple weeks for a Lord Derby Eland hunt, so that’d be my fifth spiral horn species if I’m successful. I’m hoping to also take a Harnessed Bushbuck on this hunt.

Sitatunga have been my nemesis, as I failed to take one in 1989 in Botswana, despite two opportunities. I was just about to shoot a great bull when a tracker stood up right in front of my rifle muzzle. By the time I knocked the guy out of the way, the Sitatunga was gone. Later on that hunt, I missed one at about 350 yards while laying on a tree branch about 15’ off the ground. In 2018 I hunted them along the Kafue River in Zambia. We were hunting a very large specific bull, so I passed up a 40 yard shot at a 25” bull on dry ground, then got injured badly while trying to run down a poacher so again failed to take one. My next Sitatunga hunt will be in October of 2025 when I hunt Tondwa in Zambia. After that I’ll give Forest Sitatunga a go in May of 2026 in the Congo where I’ll also be hunting Bongo.

If I’m successful in taking a Sitatunga and Bongo, that’ll leave Lesser Kudu and Mountain Nyala. I’ve been talking with Alan Vincent about a Masailand hunt, so will probably hunt Lesser Kudu there in 2027 or 2028.

That’d leave only Mountain Nyala. I have no idea whether I’ll ever end up hunting them. I do hope so, but five or six years out, who knows if there’ll even be any Mtn. Nyala hunts to be had.

Lesser kudu is an interesting subject. I've had mixed feelings on it but for years I've thought what's the big deal about lesser kudu? It's a boat load of $ for a literally lesser kudu. A huge kudu can be found for a fraction of the price of the lesser. My problem is I haven't seen one in the flesh, alive on the hoof. Those who have tell me it's one of the most beautiful antelope species in Africa.

What say those of you who have hunted the lesser kudu? How does it compare for you?

This all started as a thank you from my son David for living with him while he went through a below knee amputation from cancer. He was a captain in the army and single at the time.
During his recover and relearning to walk he was invited to DU dinner and won an auction for a seven day six night PG Safari. David, my Best hunting buddy Steve (Rest in Peace my friend) and I along with our wives/girlfriend made a plan and off we went to SA.
The Ladies all did a photo Safari through the Kruger as only Fran (David's Mom hunts).
All of us had an absolute wonderful time.
When we returned home Fran said we have to go again as she wanted to at the very least get the springbok Slam. As I am certain you've guessed, this did not hurt my feelings any. Fran and I went back in August of 23 and she got her Slam and many more PG.
The plan this year is Tanzania for leopard and another buffalo for me and a first buffalo for Fran. We will see what else we find while there.
I'm certain Steve will be with us and bring us good luck.
A big Thank You to Theron Safari's for taking such great care of us.

IMG_6057.jpeg
IMG_4551.jpeg
IMG_4497.jpeg
8bb5db2d-fdc3-4012-ad89-ef7c322421a5.JPG

Obviously I enjoy pursuing the spiral horns. I have been fortunate to take all nine since my first safari in 1994. Never thought I would pull it off but through planning and some luck I made it happen. And I am still hunting them every chance I get...
IMG_0357.jpeg
IMG_0382.jpeg
IMG_0628.JPG
IMG_0644.JPG
IMG_0680.jpeg
IMG_3663.jpeg
IMG_4907.jpeg
IMG_0040.JPG

Last edited:
Yea, you're one of the guys I know finished the slam. Very nice. That's a lot of work and a lot of miles.

Obviously I enjoy pursuing the spiral horns. I have been fortunate to take all nine since my first safari in 1994. Never thought I would pull it off but through planning and some luck I made it happen. And I am still hunting them every chance I get...
View attachment 583191View attachment 583192View attachment 583193View attachment 583194View attachment 583195View attachment 583196View attachment 583197View attachment 583190
Excellent, Russel, Congratulations! If memory serves me, didn’t you take that Sitatunga with Johnny on Tondwa around 2017?

Lesser kudu is an interesting subject. I've had mixed feelings on it but for years I've thought what's the big deal about lesser kudu? It's a boat load of $ for a literally lesser kudu. A huge kudu can be found for a fraction of the price of the lesser. My problem is I haven't seen one in the flesh, alive on the hoof. Those who have tell me it's one of the most beautiful antelope species in Africa.

What say those of you who have hunted the lesser kudu? How does it compare for you?
Lesser kudu can be very challenging. It took me several days to get one. They live in thick bush and the opportunities are fleeting. I think they are very beautiful and tricky to hunt. From what I’ve seen and heard, there’s an area in Ethiopia where they are densely populated but I got mine in Massailand in Tanzania.

When you think about it, all the spiral horns are challenging to hunt in their free range native habitats. They live in thick bush a lot of the time.

They are lesser in name only…. Really cool hunt, in likely a very special area….

I’ve read Peter Flack’s book. I’m contemplating finishing my spiral horn slam. Would still need a LDE and Mountain Nyala. I love the spiral horned species and most plains game. I try to hunt areas with one or two spiral species available when planning dangerous game hunts. I went to Zambia specifically for a sitatunga, as well as the three lechwe species and giant sable. Didn’t even seriously hunt buffalo when there. I am of the opinion that dangerous game doesn’t always have to take precedence for me. Good luck to you and hope you get the spiral horn slam!
View attachment 582108View attachment 582109
View attachment 582110View attachment 582111View attachment 582112View attachment 582113View attachment 582114View attachment 582115View attachment 582117
I believe Jason Stone was just advertising a discounted Mtn Nyala in Ethiopia.

Any particular reading you would recommend? I like these 2 books plus Peter Flack's excellent book series on the spiral horns.

Inspired by your recommendation of those two books, I went looking and found one of them locally second hand.

So far it looks promising.

spiral_1.jpg
spiral_2.jpg
spiral_0.jpg

That one was kind of hard for me to locate a copy. It’s good but I really like the Flack series that addresses one or two spirals per book. Wieland’s book has very few photographs and Flack’s is a MUCH higher production quality…almost like a coffee table book. I hope you enjoy the book!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ASBending

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….