Which Elephant Rifle and cartridge?

wildwilderness

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
USA, Canada, Mexico, Australia, South Africa, Greenland, Cameroon, Zimbabwe, Argentina
With recent interest in hunting Elephants-
If you could have your ideal Rifle set up for Elephants what would it be?

Which rifle, sight/scope, and caliber/cartridge would you choose?

I have used a Blaser R8 in 375 H&H with a Nikon 1-4x20 scope to hunt tuskless elephant. It worked very well for the side brain shot. I used CEB 300gr solids at 2550 fps. I got complete penetration through the skull and out the neck on the far side.
I’m going back after a bull ele in 2025. Will probably use an R8 in either 416 Rem Mag or 458 Win Mag with the same scope or maybe a Trijicon RMR.

1910 WJ Jeffery 475 No 2 Jeffery

The caliber Ian Nyschens said would have been his choice if he could have had anything.

IMG_7621.jpeg

IMG_6083.png

Just like this for me. Model 70. 458 Lott. Irons.

I’ve successfully shot two bull elephants (so far) in Botswana & Zimbabwe with the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum.
IMG_1377.jpeg

IMG_1787.jpeg

IMG_1790.jpeg

IMG_1793.jpeg
IMG_1798.jpeg

I dropped one with a perfect side brain shot, but the other gave me some real difficulty after taking an entire magazine full of 300Gr Hornady round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solids (Remington factory loads) through the heart-lung region.

I unsuccessfully attempted to hunt another bull elephant in South Africa in 2006 with a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum, but that tusker was the only dangerous game animal in the last 53 years of my dangerous game hunting adventures which came the closest to killing me. I actually needed to be saved by my white hunter, Devon who shot the charging bull after my frontal brain shot didn’t do the trick. But to be fair, this wasn’t the fault of the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum. Rather, it was due to the poor construction of the 300Gr Prvi Partizan round nosed gilding metal jacketed FMJ solids which I was using. The bullets simply were not strongly constructed enough. And velocity left a great deal to be desired.

Based upon my field experiences, I’ve concluded that the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum is a pretty marginal choice for body shots on bull elephants (although excellent for brain shots at any angle).

My choice of rifle for elephant hunting would have to be:
DOUBLE RIFLES
A .600 Nitro Express Heym Jumbo (26” barrels, manual safety, wide V backsights & uncovered ivory bead foresight) loaded with the new Buffalo Bore factory ammunition (900Gr Cutting Edge Bullets flat nosed monolithic brass Safari Solids at 1950 FPS)
MAGAZINE RIFLES
A .505 Gibbs custom built by either Joe Smithson or Ryan Breeding or Armeria Concari on either a Granite Mountain Arms African Magnum Mauser action or an Armeria Concari detachable magazine Super Mauser Magnum action (26” barrel, flag style safety, wide V backsights & uncovered ivory bead foresight) loaded with hand loaded 600Gr DZOMBO MARK 6 flat nosed monolithic brass solids at 2150 FPS.

Last edited:
With recent interest in hunting Elephants-
If you could have your ideal Rifle set up for Elephants what would it be?

Which rifle, sight/scope, and caliber/cartridge would you choose?
DR of course given my love for classic Africa. 470 or 500 NE sorry wish I could still do iron sites but red dot it must be

I have used a Blaser R8 in 375 H&H with a Nikon 1-4x20 scope to hunt tuskless elephant. It worked very well for the side brain shot. I used CEB 300gr solids at 2550 fps. I got complete penetration through the skull and out the neck on the far side.
I’m going back after a bull ele in 2025. Will probably use an R8 in either 416 Rem Mag or 458 Win Mag with the same scope or maybe a Trijicon RMR.
Super excited for you @TOBY458!!! That is awesome news my good friend!!!!

I’ve successfully shot two bull elephants (so far) in Botswana & Zimbabwe with the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum.
View attachment 602643
View attachment 602646
View attachment 602644
View attachment 602647View attachment 602648
I killed one with a perfect side brain shot, but the other gave me some real difficulty after taking an entire magazine full of 300Gr Hornady round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solids (Remington factory loads) through the heart-lung region. In my field experiences, I’ve concluded that the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum is a pretty marginal choice for body shots on bull elephants (although excellent for brain shots at any angle).

My choice of rifle for elephant hunting would have to be:
DOUBLE RIFLES
A .600 Nitro Express Heym Jumbo (26” barrels, manual safety, wide V backsights & uncovered ivory bead foresight) loaded with the new Buffalo Bore factory ammunition (900Gr Cutting Edge Bullets flat nosed monolithic brass Safari Solids at 1950 FPS)
MAGAZINE RIFLES
A .505 Gibbs custom built by either Joe Smithson or Ryan Breeding or Armeria Concari on either a Granite Mountain Arms African Magnum Mauser action or an Armeria Concari detachable magazine Super Mauser Magnum action (26” barrel, flag style safety, wide V backsights & uncovered ivory bead foresight) loaded with hand loaded 600Gr DZOMBO MARK 6 flat nosed monolithic brass solids at 2150 FPS.
Not so fast my good friend!!! What did that second elephant have per tusk? He looks just awesome!!! Congratulations!!!!

It's doubtful I will ever have the chance to harvest an elephant considering the investment required to do so. However, if I did happen to win the lottery...I'd still be boring and take my Blaser R8 375H&H with a Trijicon RMR-HD (or maybe even the Blaser RD20) with 300 grain Woodliegh Hydros or CEB's.

For sure a 375H&H with a red dot and premium solids.

What I WANT to choose and would choose are differe different. The real question boils down to your budget, and the number of elephants you plan to hunt. Do you value chance to hunt an elephant or the entire experience?

1) Whatever 375 or other DG rifle you currently have with irons or lower (sub 3) power scope is currently on it. Shoot a quality solid (Woodleigh, Swift, Barnes, Hornady, Norma). This plus a Tuskless is the most economical way for anyone to experience an Elephant Hunt. Since your costs are the hunt and whatever ammo you might need to buy or load.

2) For someone who might want to hunt a couple Elephants or wants an excuse for a new rifle; a Bolt Action in 458WM, 458 Lot with irons and/or a 1-4 or 1-6 type optic. As @Philip Glass mentioned in another thread LOTS of PH’s use this set-up (mostly with just irons) including a lot of the well known DG PH’s in Southern Africa. An iron sighted Mauser or Mauser variant (M70c CZ, BRNO, Whitworth, etc) has been the workhorse of Africa for awhile. A 416 Rigby, or 416 Remington wouldn’t be a bad option here caliber wise. Again shooting quality Solids (Woodleigh, Swift, Barnes, Hornady, Norma). I think you could have your complete set-up with plenty of ammo for $1,500 - $4,000 if you shopped around and went with a Leupold, Eotech or Trijicon scope over a more expensive Swaro, S&B type optic.

3) For the hunter who wants to chase multiple Elephants, and Dangerous Game or values the nostalgia & experience a Double Rifle in one of big bores. Proper fit is more important than caliber if you’re looking used. I’d pick Iron sights and same quality solid options (Woodleigh, Swift, Barnes, Hornady, Norma). There are some who would pick a RMR type red dot. Once you get to this option (even with the most economical DR options) you’ve likely invested almost as much in your gun/ammo/practice as you will for a Tuskless or Management Bull Hunt. Had you picked Option 1 you could’ve done 2 separate Tuskless Hunts, or a Trophy Bull. Once you start stepping up in manufacturer name you’re into similar pricing as an exportable Trophy Bull pricing for the all-in cost of the hunt.

What I WANT is an old Pre-War British Double in any of the old nitro express calibers 450, 470, 475, 500/460, 500, 577. All rifles would solely have irons and shooting something like Woodleigh or CEB Solids with a hand worked load. I’ve debated selling one of my doubles to fund an Elephant Hunt. I’ve also debated selling both doubles to fund part of an old British Double. Again the question is what matters more to you, doing the hunt, or how/what you hunt with?

Read Kevin Robertson's books. .416 and up, although a .375 will get it done as well (ALL solids, 350 gr solid best for 375s, the newer 450 gr 416s are something to look at, 550 .458s and even 600 .470s). More is better if set up properly and you can handle it! All that said, many more were brained by old-timers using 6.5, 7s, 318 using FMJs. :) BIG difference in requirements (head vs. body.)

What I WANT to choose and would choose are differe different. The real question boils down to your budget, and the number of elephants you plan to hunt. Do you value chance to hunt an elephant or the entire experience?

1) Whatever 375 or other DG rifle you currently have with irons or lower (sub 3) power scope is currently on it. Shoot a quality solid (Woodleigh, Swift, Barnes, Hornady, Norma). This plus a Tuskless is the most economical way for anyone to experience an Elephant Hunt. Since your costs are the hunt and whatever ammo you might need to buy or load.

2) For someone who might want to hunt a couple Elephants or wants an excuse for a new rifle; a Bolt Action in 458WM, 458 Lot with irons and/or a 1-4 or 1-6 type optic. As @Philip Glass mentioned in another thread LOTS of PH’s use this set-up (mostly with just irons) including a lot of the well known DG PH’s in Southern Africa. An iron sighted Mauser or Mauser variant (M70c CZ, BRNO, Whitworth, etc) has been the workhorse of Africa for awhile. A 416 Rigby, or 416 Remington wouldn’t be a bad option here caliber wise. Again shooting quality Solids (Woodleigh, Swift, Barnes, Hornady, Norma). I think you could have your complete set-up with plenty of ammo for $1,500 - $4,000 if you shopped around and went with a Leupold, Eotech or Trijicon scope over a more expensive Swaro, S&B type optic.

3) For the hunter who wants to chase multiple Elephants, and Dangerous Game or values the nostalgia & experience a Double Rifle in one of big bores. Proper fit is more important than caliber if you’re looking used. I’d pick Iron sights and same quality solid options (Woodleigh, Swift, Barnes, Hornady, Norma). There are some who would pick a RMR type red dot. Once you get to this option (even with the most economical DR options) you’ve likely invested almost as much in your gun/ammo/practice as you will for a Tuskless or Management Bull Hunt. Had you picked Option 1 you could’ve done 2 separate Tuskless Hunts, or a Trophy Bull. Once you start stepping up in manufacturer name you’re into similar pricing as an exportable Trophy Bull pricing for the all-in cost of the hunt.

What I WANT is an old Pre-War British Double in any of the old nitro express calibers 450, 470, 475, 500/460, 500, 577. All rifles would solely have irons and shooting something like Woodleigh or CEB Solids with a hand worked load. I’ve debated selling one of my doubles to fund an Elephant Hunt. I’ve also debated selling both doubles to fund part of an old British Double. Again the question is what matters more to you, doing the hunt, or how/what you hunt with?
Very nicely said sir!!!

My 460 Wby worked extremely well. I've written recently that I would opt for a red dot over a magnified optics now after my Cow hunt.

Load wise, I am planning to work with the CEB solids for my next Ele encounter.

20230814_093145.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelisaWech

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?