When hunting species like zebra or gemsbuck does the sex of the animal matter to hunters?

btheis13

AH senior member
Reaction score
When hunting species like zebra or gemsbuck does the sex of the animal matter to hunters?

Gemsbuck females have longer horns than the males, but is it custom to only shoot the males?

Female zebras are larger and have the nicer hides, but should the stallions be target?

Are there any other species that the females are commonly harvested?

Yes absolutely!!! I for one cannot imagine life without sex;)

Tuskless elephants are mostly cows.
Buffalo cows often hunted.
In both cases, because of much better pricing.

Personally I dont prefer shooting females, unless for some reason, and more economic pricing would certainly be a reason for me.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Most hunters can’t tell the difference anyhow on the animals you listed. The ph might have management goals they want to fill as well, which is partly why cull hunts are so interesting. I just watched a YouTube video where they shot an OLD gemsbuck cow. She was probably tough eating but she checked all the boxes for “trophy” status. If the numbers exist, it isn’t a problem for me at all!
Also-happy Mother’s Day

The North American hunter in me is struggling to consider harvesting a zebra mare. Is it because I'm used to all the N.A. species and the "trophy" animals are all males? Even if the mares are larger and have better (less damaged) hides, do most hunters still prefer to harvest stallions?

It depends not only on the desires of the hunter, but also the environment. On a fenced game farm, unless it is a put and take operation, a certain number of female animals will have to be culled to maintain proper herd balance. As noted, the longest Oryx tend to be female. In a true unfenced concession, unless one is hunting a specialty female target like a tuskless elephant or lioness, your PH will be working very hard to find the best representative bull of a given species he can in the time allotted. Oryx might very well be an exception if the client is focused on length. All the zebra I have taken were stallions and we worked very hard to insure that they were. I think the fighting scars give the rug or pedestal mount additional character.

Yes absolutely!!! I for one cannot imagine life without sex;)

Up at 5am this morning working the brisket on the Traeger. It's now 6:20am and I just sat down to my coffee and have to read this first thing......thanks Bob for that visual to start the day.

Last edited:

Gemsbuck females have longer horns than the males, but is it custom to only shoot the males?

Female zebras are larger and have the nicer hides, but should the stallions be target?

@btheis13: What a misleading and horrible “Title” to your Post — Now, everything you write is a “boring disappointment” !! (No Sex for YOU)

They changed my title! I hope I didn't offend someone....Lord knows everyone gets their undies in a bunch over stupid shit these days.

You didn't offend me. @ActionBob gave my stomach a turn however.

You will likely have to make that decision on the fly. My Gemsbok was in a small group and they were steadily on the move. Had to make a choice quickly. This female was taken August of 23 with horns a bit over 40".
IMG_20230812_124204720_HDR.jpg

Wait... what? I missed the original title! Darn it all! :Bored:

Females of the species... I had no qualms filling deer doe tags, back in the day. For a good hide of good color I have no issue with mature sows (brown bears) being hunted. I have shot a lot of cow caribou in my years up here. I will happily take a nanny on my goat hunt this fall. Our hunting unit has a cow moose winter hunt; harvesting one some year is a goal.

Africa? I have killed 2 cow buffalo (cost was the factor) and they were incredibly fun hunts. Both of my zebras were stallions, at the guidance of my PH. And my gemsbok? I requested an old bull. Horn length be damned, I wanted mass - and got it. ;)

Where legal, female or male? Personal choice, IMHO. Oh, and DEFINITELY another vote for "sex is good."

I find an Americans tend to shoot female oryx more. Want longer horn for a shoulder mount to look impressive on the wall.

While Europeans enjoy shooting old bulls with big pearling bases and don’t care about length as much. The trophy tends to be the mass and secondary growth of an old male.

When I was in Namibia we saw lots of big herds daily. But took almost the whole week to find an old lone male.
IMG_0666.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudyDunfor

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani