What TV hunting personality?

Larry Csonka. Watched some of his North to Alaska shows years ago. Loved watching him as a full back- back in the days when you made a touchdown and just dropped the ball in the end zone cause that was what you were paid to do, not act like a clown.

I didn’t hunt with them but I got to meet Ralph and Vikki from Archer’s Choice in Alaska. I was coming into hunt brown bear and they had just finished a brown bear hunt. We went and ate supper together at the little diner in town and they were generous enough to pick up the tab. This was in 2008. Very nice folks and were just as down to earth as could be. We had a good time fellowshipping over supper and then we went our separate ways the next day. I would share a hunt camp with them anytime.
I have watched their shows and they seen like genuine people. I was just telling my wife the other day that if I had a choice to hunt with somebody it would be them.

I think that TV hunting is a double edge sword (or broadhead if you like) On one hand they may be a help to recruit new hunters to our sport but they also furnish and abundance of ammunition to our enemies. The best of the hunting experience is sometimes portrayed by folks like Cameron Hanes, Guy Eastman, Will Primos, and Jim Shockey to name a few. I think TV hunters shine most when they do it the hard way, show respect the game, and emphasize skill over gadgets. There are however some real ego driven bozos with a camera that exhibit none of this behavior and do our sport a real disservice. The high fives, thumbs up, silly giggles and chest pounding as an animal dies doesn't show any originality or more importantly class.

I admit I enjoy watching a close encounter culminated with a well executed shot. Good photography of trophy game is cool too. But then I have been a hunter for many years, not some city voter that has never had the drive to go afield and bring their own meat home. I understand the reality of hunting and what it takes to be successful. The city guy doesn't know the difficulty of getting to the point of a shot. The reality is that you don't kill a giant bull or buck everytime out or every year or sometimes every decade.

When these "experts" give their tips and seminars I want to puke. Hunting with expensive outfitters, and prime properties does nothing to make one an expert. Surely something rubs off in the process, but I would rather hear from a good public land hunter anyday. In fact I suspect that these shows have spurred an interest in outfitted hunts that is unprecedented. There are enough well heeled "hunters with lots of cash and little time that are perfecly happy keeping the best lands out of reach of the average guy.

I know some of the more common names here and a few others from You Tube,

I would not pass up an offer to hunt with a celebrity hunter but I doubt I would seek it out especially if there was a premium price tag.

I guess there is a lot of staging going on to make a show and the you tube guys editing their own or simply filming themselves have to do it unscripted with no support or retakes.

Someone said it’s better to not meet your heroes. I’m sure that’s true for some. I don’t think I would fit in with the fakes and the retakes but hey it’s another industry and if could be a professional hunter I would.

If it meant going out hunting more I wouldn’t be too picky about which celebrity. I actually like some of the YouTube channels too.

Are there any AH members that you would want to hunt with if you got an invite?

I think that TV hunting is a double edge sword (or broadhead if you like) On one hand they may be a help to recruit new hunters to our sport but they also furnish and abundance of ammunition to our enemies. The best of the hunting experience is sometimes portrayed by folks like Cameron Hanes, Guy Eastman, Will Primos, and Jim Shockey to name a few. I think TV hunters shine most when they do it the hard way, show respect the game, and emphasize skill over gadgets. There are however some real ego driven bozos with a camera that exhibit none of this behavior and do our sport a real disservice. The high fives, thumbs up, silly giggles and chest pounding as an animal dies doesn't show any originality or more importantly class.

I admit I enjoy watching a close encounter culminated with a well executed shot. Good photography of trophy game is cool too. But then I have been a hunter for many years, not some city voter that has never had the drive to go afield and bring their own meat home. I understand the reality of hunting and what it takes to be successful. The city guy doesn't know the difficulty of getting to the point of a shot. The reality is that you don't kill a giant bull or buck everytime out or every year or sometimes every decade.

When these "experts" give their tips and seminars I want to puke. Hunting with expensive outfitters, and prime properties does nothing to make one an expert. Surely something rubs off in the process, but I would rather hear from a good public land hunter anyday. In fact I suspect that these shows have spurred an interest in outfitted hunts that is unprecedented. There are enough well heeled "hunters with lots of cash and little time that are perfecly happy keeping the best lands out of reach of the average guy.
Meritman - completely agree most TV Hunters & Hosts are fake and constantly pushing products for their sponsors - everything they wear & use is Free and has a Logo on it the size of car door, then there’s the camo-face-paint-Halloween-look, contrasted with a hat with big bright colored Logo. Immediately at the shot they turn to the camera with the stupid “fist pumps” and “I smoked him….put the Smack Down on him” comments….then keep “whispering” a recap of the shot and what just happened (like we didn’t see it). It reminds me of NFL or NBA Players mugging for the camera after every play ——Look at ME !! Shows that are Exceptions to this trend (in my opinion): Dean Partraige/Canadian Whitetail, Meateater, and a guy from West Virginia….Those guys seem a little better and those are the shows I will watch and usually enjoy. When I am fortunate enough to take a nice trophy - I feel adrenaline, joy, happiness, and satisfaction - even more so if my Son gets one….but never fist pump, yelling, or throwing my arms up in the air like I just knocked out the heavy weight champ!!

A few years back I met Colorado Buck in the Alaskan bush when he was hunting caribou. I was surprised at the logistics required to film a hunt.

As to which celebrity I’d like to hunt with? that German bloke who wacks those driven boar with monotonous regulatory would do.

Billy Molls hunting brown bear.

The best ambassadors for hunting on tv are not even hunting personalities. I know several nonhunters who support hunting because of watching Anthony Bourdain and Gordon Ramsay hunt on their shows.
While our outlooks on life and viewpoints differed greatly, I always loved watching Anthony Bourdain. He was quite the character. No Reservations was an excellent show that was excellently produced. It’s a shame he chose to end it all. That was a sad day

You mean Buck Ward aka Colorado Buck?…. Now there’s a shlick talker with the look ;) black hat, buckskins, moccasins and gaiters. Last I heard he was in Texas peddling gourmet meats online. I don’t think the new owners of Montana Rifle Company continued his signature model rifle…. but none of my business :)

You mean Buck Ward aka Colorado Buck?…. Now there’s a shlick talker with the look ;) black hat, buckskins, moccasins and gaiters. Last I heard he was in Texas peddling gourmet meats online. I don’t think the new owners of Montana Rifle Company continued his signature model rifle…. but none of my business :)

That’s the bloke. And he was carrying his Montana Signature model rifle.

+1 on Marlin Perkins, but Jim Fowler would have to be along for the hunt. From the same era - Grits Gresham would be high on my list.

I did a few episodes hunting exotics in Texas with Keith Warren back in the 90's. He was always a gentleman and enjoyable to hunt with. One memorable episode was with Bela Karolyi, the world renowned gymnastics coach hunting Scimitar Horned Oryx. Here is a photo I found on the web from the episode. Thats a much younger me in the background as Bela was about to shoot. Dave Fulson was the videographer, another fine gentleman hunter. It was an all-around great experience.

John Ed

View attachment 600227
Gresham for sure. Curt Gowdy as well.

Any of the guys from Mountain Monsters of the Travel Channel would be high priority

And right after that I'd enjoy sitting in a tub full of scissors!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.