What problems have you encountered with your Blaser R8?

I have two R8's (Professional stock and GRS Norwegian made birch laminate) and four barrels, .223, 22-250, 30-06 and 375 H&H. I have never had a problem with factory rounds. The 22-250 would occasionally misfire using reloaded ammunition. I would hear a click but no dent on the primer. I am assuming this is a case sizing problem. Likely need to full length resize rather than neck sizing but I haven't taken the time to investigate further. Anyone else run into this problem?
I have found you have to cycle the round firmly every time. My guess is with smaller round you aren forcibly closing the bolt like you do in some of the larger calibers.

Even if you cycle gently, you can give bolt handle a firm push forward after closing and it should solve the issue.

Hello All, I have a nephew that has an R93 in 300 Win Mag and the damn thing is incredibly picky about which ammo it shoots ok. The only bullet it seems to like is the 150gr Hornady Interlock. It shoots monolithic bullets, Partitions, and A-Frames all over 1 1/2” @ 100 yards. He is very capable of shooting well under an inch with magnum rifles. Any advice? Has anyone else had this problem? TIA
Sent you a PM as to not derail this thread into a tangent on r93’s……

Dispassionately understanding the "Blaser click" and the difference between R93 and R8

I have two R8's (Professional stock and GRS Norwegian made birch laminate) and four barrels, .223, 22-250, 30-06 and 375 H&H. I have never had a problem with factory rounds. The 22-250 would occasionally misfire using reloaded ammunition. I would hear a click but no dent on the primer. I am assuming this is a case sizing problem. Likely need to full length resize rather than neck sizing but I haven't taken the time to investigate further. Anyone else run into this problem?

Operating words: "using reloaded ammunition".

Here is what happens, in as concise a form as possible:

The R8 bolt locks when the collet (green) is expanded outward by a steel sleeve (Orange) that is pushed forward by the in-line forward rotation of the bolt handle.
1714245489768.png

THIS IS DONE IN THE LAST HALF INCH OF BOLT HANDLE FORWARD ROTATION, when the bolt head advances forward about 1/128th of an inch.

If the last half inch of bolt handle forward rotation is not done, the action LOOKS closed, but it is not:

1714247150829.png

If the trigger is depressed at this stage, this is the dreaded "Blaser click". The firing pin is released (just as it can be released with a turn bolt by depressing the trigger while closing the bolt), but it is blocked by its safety block and stops short of striking the primer.

1714247182923.png

The two most classic ways for the "click" to happen are:

1) The use of reloaded ammo either not fully re-sized, or incompletely fully-resized. The case does not penetrate completely in the chamber, the bolt head does not penetrate the last ~1/128th, the collet does not line up with its barrel recess, and the action does not close although it looks closed at a glance. The action is not in battery, therefore the safety block stops the firing pin.​
2) Hunters loading a round in the chamber in close proximity of a game they have stalked and trying to do it ever so delicately in complete silence. Because there is marked mechanical stage after the bolt is partially closed, before it is locked by the bolt handle rotating forward the last half inch, some new Blaser users have failed to actually close the bolt fully. The action is not in battery, therefore the safety block stops the firing pin.​

The infamous "Blaser click" likely annoys reloaders, and probably cost a few R8 novices an easy shot after a successful stalk, but it is the result of operator error and - most importantly - it mechanically cannot result in a detonation out of battery on the R8.

The big difference with the R93 is that the locking mechanism was different in three significant ways:
  1. There was no sleeve pushing the collet outward. The collet itself (red) was pushed forward by the rotation of the bolt handle and slid upward on the ~50⁰ ramp of the bolt.
  2. The locking surface of the collet, and the locking surface of the barrel were also slanted at ~50⁰ which made both locking AND UNLOCKING easier.
  3. The firing pin was slightly indenting the primer of the cartridge when the trigger was depressed while the action was not locked.
1714248334703.png

While I have no direct personal knowledge of any of the accidents, it is factual that some R93 fired out of battery, and it seems factual based on the various reports that the R93 accidents were caused by the use of reloaded ammunition.

I am speculating that it was possible with the R93 to get to the exactly wrong combination of events:

i) to push the bolt forward enough on an oversized case so that the collet could partially slide in the barrel locking recess along the ~50⁰ ramp;​
ii) that a primer not deeply seated could be indented deeply enough by the firing pin to detonate;​
iii) that the absence of the steel sleeve under the collet could allow the collet to flex under the pressure of the out of battery firing, slid back on the ~50⁰ ramp, and disengage from the partial lock.​

It is my personal analysis that the addition of the steel sleeve under the collet, and the near ~90⁰ locking edge of the collet make the R8 as different from the R93 as a Mauser (18)98 is from a Mauser 1871, in as much as they prevent a partial lock. The collet is either expended outward in the barrel recess and cannot flex back inward due to the presence of the sleeve, or it is not. There is no in between.

I hope this was of interest.

Last edited:
no emotional damage then, just go and buy some more barrels

l don't actually care, l do not trust Blaser period and for very good reasons shown in the link l posted
there are no lies in anything l have said that are repeated by others in the link
l conveyed a story about something l was witness to and my opinions because of what l witnessed
its funny how the company lawyers wanted me to take the stand as a witness for them till we had a chat
l have witnessed many different blow ups but no other rifle blew the bolt back into the shooters face

but l would still like to know how do you close a straight pull bolt at 90%?
is that just too ridiculous to answer?

I’m not asking you to trust any rifle. I was asking for feedback from owner/shooters of R8’s. Your feedback relates to the R93. That’s like asking for feedback on a Mauser 98 and getting replies regarding the model 93. Same, same but different.

As to your question on the engineering aspect. I’ll leave that to the engineers to explain. I’m a shooter and definitely not a technical expert. In short I don’t know.

Finally, I don’t own a R93 and have never used one. But I would happily if the opportunity presented.

Enjoy your Mauser 98’s, I love mine too.

Last edited:
Dispassionately understanding the "Blaser click" and the difference between R93 and R8

Operating words: "using reloaded ammunition".

Here is what happens, in as concise a form as possible:

The R8 bolt locks when the collet (green) is expanded outward by a steel sleeve (Orange) that is pushed forward by the in-line forward rotation of the bolt handle.
View attachment 601875
THIS IS DONE IN THE LAST HALF INCH OF BOLT HANDLE FORWARD ROTATION, when the bolt head advances forward about 1/128th of an inch.

If the last half inch of bolt handle forward rotation is not done, the action LOOKS closed, but it is not:

View attachment 601880

If the trigger is depressed at this stage, this is the dreaded "Blaser click". The firing pin is released (just as it can be released with a turn bolt by depressing the trigger while closing the bolt), but it is blocked by its safety block and stops short of striking the primer.

View attachment 601881

The two most classic ways for the "click" to happen are:

1) The use of reloaded ammo either not fully re-sized, or incompletely fully-resized. The case does not penetrate completely in the chamber, the bolt head does not penetrate the last ~1/128th, the collet does not line up with its barrel recess, and the action does not close although it looks closed at a glance. The action is not in battery, therefore the safety block stops the firing pin.​
2) Hunters loading a round in the chamber in close proximity of a game they have stalked and trying to do it ever so delicately in complete silence. Because there is marked mechanical stage after the bolt is partially closed, before it is locked by the bolt handle rotating forward the last half inch, some new Blaser users have failed to actually close the bolt fully. The action is not in battery, therefore the safety block stops the firing pin.​

The infamous "Blaser click" likely annoys reloaders, and probably cost a few R8 novices an easy shot after a successful stalk, but it is the result of operator error and - most importantly - it mechanically cannot result in a detonation out of battery on the R8.

The big difference with the R93 is that the locking mechanism was different in three significant ways:
  1. There was no sleeve pushing the collet outward. The collet itself (red) was pushed forward by the rotation of the bolt handle and slid upward on the ~50⁰ ramp of the bolt.
  2. The locking surface of the collet, and the locking surface of the barrel were also slanted at ~50⁰ which made both locking AND UNLOCKING easier.
  3. The firing pin was slightly indenting the primer of the cartridge when the trigger was depressed while the action was not locked.
View attachment 601883

While I have no direct personal knowledge of any of the accidents, it is factual that some R93 fired out of battery, and it seems factual based on the various reports that the R93 accidents were caused by the use of reloaded ammunition.

I am speculating that it was possible with the R93 to get to the exactly wrong combination of events:

i) to push the bolt forward enough on an oversized case so that the collet could partially slide in the barrel locking recess along the ~50⁰ ramp;​
ii) that a primer not deeply seated could be indented deeply enough by the firing pin to detonate;​
iii) that the absence of the steel sleeve under the collet could allow the collet to flex under the pressure of the out of battery firing, slid back on the ~50⁰ ramp, and disengage from the partial lock.​

It is my personal analysis that the addition of the steel sleeve under the collet, and the near ~90⁰ locking edge of the collet make the R8 as different from the R93 as a Mauser (18)98 is from a Mauser 1871, in as much as they prevent a partial lock. The collet is either expended outward in the barrel recess and cannot flex back inward due to the presence of the sleeve, or it is not. There is no in between.

I hope this was of interest.

That is very informative. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Having Blaser’s for more then 20 years now. Started with five R93’s and changed these when the R8 came in the market.
Six stocks left; only one with beautiful walnut (I almost don’t use it) four professional Success and a GRS laminated stock. Five barrels 243/30-06/8x68s/9.3x62/416rem.mag.; I’ve fired thousend’s of shots in al kind of weather and all over the world and never had a problem.

One Day... Thank you for that very informative and in depth explanation. I will henceforth be full length resizing my ammunition.

Love my r8 and yes, barrel buying is addictive. The brilliance of One Day has been 100% responsible for my obsession with it. :):) It's like I'm inspiring to be a mini me or something.

My biggest problem is that it makes it too easy to justify buying another barrel to add on another caliber. Thought I'd only want 3 barrels, I'm up to 6 now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vanzierho

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.