What do you think of the new Rigby Shikari?

Kevin Peacocke

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
The new Shikari is up on Rigbys web site. I saw the prototype in the white when it was touring South Africa early last year and I had mixed feelings. It is certainly looking more the piece now, very well finished. A few of my friends have opted for it and have orders in.
What do you think so far?

I was able to pick one up while at DSC last week...

it is truly stunning..

Im not in the market for a double (Im pretty sure I'll remain a bolt action and/or single shot guy the rest of my life).. but if I were, and had the sort of cash on hand required for a shikari.. I would certainly entertain the idea..

hard to beat having the name "Rigby" on the side of your rifle.. and again, in execution, it is absolutely stunning..

I think it looks really nice, but I feel it does not have anything except for the forend release key and of course the Rigby-name that truly sets it apart from other boxlock double rifles. But I guess it is just how the "cheaper" Rigby double rifles looked back in the day.

The rising bite on the other hand, it feels very much Rigby compared to other double rifles in the same price class.

I will probably never afford either, but the rising bite is still in my opinion the one that feels most Rigby-esque :giggle:

Still it is nice to see that Rigby introduced another double rifle.

Last edited:
I'd happily buy one in .600 Nitro Express. I sadly concede that they are rather costly (for a boxlock), but the finer things in life usually are.

Just curious, but how many English gun makers still build boxlock double rifles anymore ? Aside from John Rigby & Co., I can only think of Westley Richards (who only offer them in .470, .500 & .577 Nitro Express).

Prices start at L38,000. :oops:

For most of us, spending 1/10 that much would get us a swift kick from the Mrs.
Pretty remarkable price for a Rigby double rifle. Obviously their target audience is not the typical Sabatti or even Heym owner. But it does seem to have targeted their regular client base very well. Was speaking with Marc Newton at DSC last week. Last year during the show circuit, they had only the prototype rifle in the white, and still took orders for 78 of them (more than 20 in Dallas alone). For a company that builds a few over a hundred guns of all their ranges a year, that is a remarkable achievement.

A few of my friends have opted for it and have orders in.
I think my friends will certainly agree that you have a way better class of friends than I have. ;)

A beautiful rifle for sure, though likely not on the menu at the places I feed. :E Shrug::D Cheers:

The new Shikari is up on Rigbys web site. I saw the prototype in the white when it was touring South Africa early last year and I had mixed feelings. It is certainly looking more the piece now, very well finished. A few of my friends have opted for it and have orders in.

At first look only good things, but such rifles always look very nice on pictures of high quality.

One have to hold the rifle in the hands to see what was made by master craftsmen and what are industrial mechanical series parts on it. One can then decide if it is a real master piece and if the price is appropriate.

PCC600-----I don't know you, but I'm sure I don't like you-
LMAO---Kidding, if that's true, does she have a sister?

It is a really nice rifle. On the prototype they had at DSC the top lever was a little stiff to start the opening. But other than that it was everything you would expect from a Rigby. It balanced really well too. The rifle I slobbered on was in 500 NE. And it does have a dolls head extension. Overall it is a very nice double.

They are fine rifles, but Rigby would not even acknowledge my presence at their DSC booth (both years I went). They must know I am poor haha. If I should ever strike it rich, I will stick with Heym and Parkwest. They were very happy to chat with me, even though I was not a buyer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanielDalz

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.