Mac13

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
USA, Mexico, South Africa
With the difficulty in locating a new reasonably priced Winchester Safari, what calibers have the magnum action and bolt face to be converted to 375 H&H by re-barrelling?

Mac13, what do you consider a reasonable price for a Mod 70 Safari Express? My local gun store has a used one New Haven built CRF right now in 96% new condition for $1899 which is essentially what you would pay for a new one. I will send you my phone number on a PM

Mac13, what do you consider a reasonable price for a Mod 70 Safari Express? My local gun store has a used one New Haven built CRF right now in 96% new condition for $1899 which is essentially what you would pay for a new one. I will send you my phone number on a PM
That would be a reasonable price and exactly what I am looking for. I will call you in a few.

Much better value to buy a factory rifle.

A vintage Interarms Mark X or Whitworth Express is about on par with a Model 70 Safari Express, and can be had regularly for $1,000-1,500. And that's for a factory sorted big game rifle.

A standard action Mauser can be converted to 375. Last year I built a 404 Jeffery on a military surplus Czech Mauser. It wasn't cheap but a lot of fun. Just over $2K and I did most of the work myself. To modify a Model 70 would require new barrel and mounting. That was $1K for my gun. Then the bolt face has to be opened, feeding rails modified, rear ring trimmed, and loading ramp extended. I did that work myself. I'm guessing a good gunsmith could do it for $400-$500. Bottom metal can either be modified by a gunsmith or replacement purchased. Replacement custom new bottom metal runs $400 to $700 in the white ( = needs to be blued). Should be able to use the same stock ... unless it has crossbolts. If the forward crossbolt is situated too far back, it may not be possible to extend the magazine forward for longer 375 OAL. If the stock has no crossbolts then good to go. A gunsmith can add internal crossbolts once he's fit the new bottom metal on the receiver and into the stock. Not very complicated so I don't see that part being terribly costly.

Anyway, you can see that your project may not be as simple as screwing on another barrel. Two years ago while hunting in Montana I saw a lightly used Sako Finbear 375 on the shelf at a local gun store for $900. It was on consignment and the guy behind the counter said the owner would deal. What a bargain. However, no regrets passing on it. They are a fine rifle with extremely smooth action but I felt it would be more fun building my own. And it was.

A standard action Mauser can be converted to 375. Last year I built a 404 Jeffery on a military surplus Czech Mauser. It wasn't cheap but a lot of fun. Just over $2K and I did most of the work myself. To modify a Model 70 would require new barrel and mounting. That was $1K for my gun. Then the bolt face has to be opened, feeding rails modified, rear ring trimmed, and loading ramp extended. I did that work myself. I'm guessing a good gunsmith could do it for $400-$500. Bottom metal can either be modified by a gunsmith or replacement purchased. Replacement custom new bottom metal runs $400 to $700 in the white ( = needs to be blued). Should be able to use the same stock ... unless it has crossbolts. If the forward crossbolt is situated too far back, it may not be possible to extend the magazine forward for longer 375 OAL. If the stock has no crossbolts then good to go. A gunsmith can add internal crossbolts once he's fit the new bottom metal on the receiver and into the stock. Not very complicated so I don't see that part being terribly costly.

Anyway, you can see that your project may not be as simple as screwing on another barrel. Two years ago while hunting in Montana I saw a lightly used Sako Finbear 375 on the shelf at a local gun store for $900. It was on consignment and the guy behind the counter said the owner would deal. What a bargain. However, no regrets passing on it. They are a fine rifle with extremely smooth action but I felt it would be more fun building my own. And it was.
I did not know you two years ago, but I kind of feel like if I had, I'd have been mad at you for not telling me that there was a Sako Finnbear 375 on the shelf at a LGS for $900 with an owner willing to deal.

;)

Thank You to @MontanaPat, he steered me in the right direction and I have just acquired a Winchester Safari 375 H&H. Pat it was a pleasure speaking with you.

On another note, I spoke to Matt at HCR yesterday regarding a conversion and he mentioned 2 calibers that could be converted to 375 H&H on a Model 70 which is 7 STW and 300 Weatherby. He said these two calibers are built on the same Magnum Receiver as the 375 H&H.

All Winchester 70 classics in a magnum caliber built in the 90's are on a 375 length action. You just need to remove the spacer in the mag box and find a 375 follower.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jruby

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?