We are back from our first safari and we took our 5 month old!

drq24

Reaction score
Media
We hunted with Lategan Safaris - Bennie and Carien in South Africa along the Orange River. Good hunting, diverse terrain and exceptional trophy quality. We ended up taking 20 animals and look forward to another trip as soon as we can work it in the schedule. A cape buffalo and some more plains game will be on the docket.

My wife and I got pregnant between booking and the time of hunting so we decided to take our 5 month old little girl, Ella. Although it presented challenges you other parents can imagine it was also very rewarding and some great memories. Lategan Safaris markets as a family friendly outfit and upon bringing this up with them (about bringing Ella) the were welcoming and accommodating.

There are to many hunting stories to mention in the post but something I will never forget is the fact that I was changing our daughters diaper when my wife shot her Nyala bull. I never imagined my first safari to be like this but I would never change it. It was great having the whole family together. Maybe our next safari we will bring the dog too. smh.

Lategan Safaris with Bennie as a PH was everything we could have wanted. The operation looks like it'll be generational too with his boys who are both PH's as well. I only hope our Taxidermy business will be a generational operation, too.

Don't be afraid to take your kids -

Regards,

Tejay - Trapline Taxidermy

Ella Land Cruiser.jpg
Nyala.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We hunted with Lategan Safaris - Bennie and Carien in South Africa along the Orange River. Good hunting, diverse terrain and exceptional trophy quality. We ended up taking 20 animals and look forward to another trip as soon as we can work it in the schedule. A cape buffalo and some more plains game will be on the docket.

My wife and I got pregnant between booking and the time of hunting so we decided to take our 5 month old little girl, Ella. Although it presented challenges you other parents can imagine it was also very rewarding and some great memories. Lategan Safaris markets as a family friendly outfit and upon bringing this up with them (about bringing Ella) the were welcoming and accommodating.

There are to many hunting stories to mention in the post but something I will never forget is the fact that I was changing our daughters diaper when my wife shot her Nyala bull. I never imagined my first safari to be like this but I would never change it. It was great having the whole family together. Maybe our next safari we will bring the dog too. smh.

Lategan Safaris with Bennie as a PH was everything we could have wanted. The operation looks like it'll be generational too with his boys who are both PH's as well. I only hope our Taxidermy business will be a generational operation, too.

Don't be afraid to take your kids -

Regards,

Tejay - Trapline Taxidermy
The photos of your family and young Ella on Safari are a truly special post.

Ella has that "look in her eyes" in the bakkie. I look forward, in the future, of your posts of Ella taking her first game on safari. Bring the dog!

Thank you for sharing your experiences. You have brightened my day.

:S Welcome:

That is starting them young. Good job on making it work. Love to see more pictures and read about some of your stalks.
Bruce

Welcome to AH and thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

Congratulation to all three of you! Now, please don't leave us hanging with just a couple of pictures. So, I'm sure I speak for the rest of the forum, please post more pictures of the hunt, animals taken, and of course your baby. :ROFLMAO:

Perfect inspiration for the day. My daughter and lifelong hunting buddy plans to take her daughter with us to Africa next summer. Planning a 1 year birthday party in Namibia.

Well done, congratulations on making it work. I think for me, taking a 5 month old on a safari to South Africa would be more daunting than trying to reload in front of an enraged cape buffalo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bafoyo4859

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.