Water buffalo caliber recommendation

I have never used a Whelen but Sambar Hunters swear by them in Victoria. Id say with decent projectiles it would suffice.
As always shot placement is much more important than Caliber alone, in my view....
Bob will be along soon to enlighten you.

Horses, camels, cattle, rabbits, pigs...etc. too many destroying the environment.....

Get Europe to collect as many as they want.....same for elephants in Botswana and SA.....
In the end, an absurd philosophy. Civilised man claims that animals are destroying his world.

In the end, an absurd philosophy. Civilised man claims that animals are destroying his world.
In Australia the estimated feral pigs population exceeds the human population.
Those are figures stated by the authorities and experts.

I worked in pest control and completed recognised training for a government role.

in Australia we have numerous introduced pest species that pose an environmental and economic impact.

They cannot be managed effectively or eradicated.

One of the most contentious issues are Wild Brumbies in National Parks. Horse lovers want them to roam, environmentalist s want them out. They are not native and our land was not host to any hard hoofed animal and the eco system did not evolve with them as the introduction was post white settlement.

Humans evolved and became civilised. A part of that has been making the world suit our requirements. Right or wrong it is what we evolved to be and while we need to make sustainable choices people can choose to go live with nature and decline to use the advances we have developed for our comfort as humans.

I am always very surprised with what light cartridges the buffalos are shot in Australia.

Something like that wouldn't work in Africa, where the often used cartridge 375 H&H Magnum is almost marginal and requires in all cases a better-armed PH to be nearby for backup.

Maybe the buffalos in Australia are a little tamer than one think.

I am always very surprised with what light cartridges the buffalos are shot in Australia.

Something like that wouldn't work in Africa, where the often used cartridge 375 H&H Magnum is almost marginal and requires in all cases a better-armed PH to be nearby for backup.

Maybe the buffalos in Australia are a little tamer than one think.

All is well until there’s a buff that decides to kill you

PS there are a lot of Hunting Guides in The NT, i'm pretty sure you have not spoken to all of them. There is no licence required or Professional Guiding Body. Anyone with a business and access to some property can do it.
Do you mean to be a guide?

I'm not a formal Guide, I have just taken friends from NZ and down south to get their first Buffalo..
You said anyone with a business and access can do it. Do what exactly?

I love the 45-70 lots of different loads, an grain weight to pick from. Its been a great caliber for a long long time. But I dont know much about the other to say anything good or bad about it.

WRT shot placement, you saw that the buff bull above was shot multiple times in the tummy and guts, once high in the shoulder, but never in a place to break bones or take out the central nervous system.
With the PH standing by and giving directions, the final shots with the .405 went into the heart and lungs and more and took the fight out of the buff.
I was at the lodge and did not the see the action, but the PH story matches the bullet holes in the buff.

Not 100% but I know several Guides that dont have any kind of Licence, they just have an ABN and Liability insurance etc..
I have since written to NT Tourism to get 100% confirmation.

Not 100% but I know several Guides that dont have any kind of Licence, they just have an ABN and Liability insurance etc..
I have since written to NT Tourism to get 100% confirmation.
A Corporate licence to conduct safari’s even on station property is required. I know some people aren’t doing it that way but it’s only a matter of time until authorities catch up with them.

A Corporate licence to conduct safari’s even on station property is required. I know some people aren’t doing it that way but it’s only a matter of time until authorities catch up with them.
I have a phrase I use regularly, "All well and good until it turns to crap". Better to be open and honest about the business practices you undertake than suffering the consequences...

When I hunted Australia, my guide said most people use a 30.06. I personally used a .375H&H.

In my opinion the answer to the question is "The biggest cartridge you can shoot accurately". I've taken all my bovine species, including a few water buffalo, with .375H&H and. 458WM. I own a 30/06 and it's a fine deer rifle. But it stays at home on dangerous game hunts, where it belongs.

When I hunted Australia, my guide said most people use a 30.06. I personally used a .375H&H.

Well I wouldn’t

Heard from a guide who had client use 338
Lost buff after some incredible number Of shots

30/06 is fine with heavy bullets but the margin of error is very small

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaquelFrym

Latest profile posts

dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !