Wanted 7600 Carbines

kthovis33

Reaction score
Can anyone help me out? I sold my first deer gun when I first was getting married, now with my kids that are getting into hunting I am after a 7600 factory carbine to have my son shoot his first deer with. My holy grail is a 35 Rem carbine. I prefer a 308 or 35 whelen factory carbine. Looking for something not on gunbroker. Thank you!

You should be able to find a 760 or 7600 in said caliber on GunsInternational.com in short order.

I am only looking for a 7600. I watch everyday with no luck. The only Carbines listed are already sold

There are currently 43 7600s on GunBroker. 7 are carbines (2 are Whelens). None are .35 Remington though.

as a lefty i have used rem pump rifles since the 60,s. i use a 7600 carbine in 3006 and a rem 760 rifle in 3006. i did put wood off of a model 6 rem pump on my 7600 carbine that has a higer comb for scope use.

DSCN0847 (2).JPG
DSCN0848 (2).JPG
DSCN0849 (2).JPG
DSCN9443 (2).JPG
DSCN1118 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Yes I watch gunsinternational, gunbroker all the time. I was hoping to find a member on here that would part with one!

Can anyone help me out? I sold my first deer gun when I first was getting married, now with my kids that are getting into hunting I am after a 7600 factory carbine to have my son shoot his first deer with. My holy grail is a 35 Rem carbine. I prefer a 308 or 35 whelen factory carbine. Looking for something not on gunbroker. Thank you!
Kthovis33, they are out there but you might need to search daily for weeks or months - that’s what I did and it took awhile…Plus: Be ready to “over Pay” because 760’s & 7600’s seem to have a collector following and especially the “carbines” will command a premium price ($1500-$2500 in very good/excellent condition) Any caliber other then .30-06 also adds a premium (80%+ of all 760s made were in .30-06). I bought my first 760 in 1981 (.30-06 regular barrel length) for $219 at KMart. I bought my last 4 years ago .308 (regular barrel length, Mint “as New” condition) for $750 Off GB. Good luck and enjoy your search.

I sold my carbine because they went from a handy rifle to overpriced.

Buy the regular model for a fraction of the cost and have the barrel shortened. And while at a competent gunsmith. Have the action worked so it feeds smoother. They are pretty rickety and crude feeding. But if you find one well used that feeds well, the barrel and action are usually not pristine.
Find a clean full length model and chop the barrel.

Thank you everyone, I have sent a few people messages, I will keep looking on the main stream sites. I am only looking for factory carbines. I understand they are more expensive, but Im willing to pay for the right gun and believe me a remington pump I know is not the best gun, its just the right gun with the nostalgia of me as a kid!!

I think I have some in the safe. I’m not sure the calibers. Will search around and see what I have.

Wish I had some pics of mine to upload. I have two 7600's. Both carbines, but cut down from rifle length. A 30-06 that has become a Frankenstein, with cut barrel, rear sight removed, 870 youth 20 gauge buttstock put on it, and an aimpoint red dot. The other is a dandy of a rifle that started off as a 30-06 that I had JES rebore to 35 Whelen, cut the barrel down, and it wears a fiber optic front sight and a peep rear. Really nice wood on it for its age.

Good luck in your search OP, I love my 7600's.

my 760 and 7600 rems in 3006 will shoot 1-1.25" three shot groups at 100 yards from a rest. my load it 56 grs imr 4350 with a 165 gr nosler BT, thats not a heavy load but will knock the snot out of any deer you shoot.

Thank you everyone, I have sent a few people messages, I will keep looking on the main stream sites. I am only looking for factory carbines. I understand they are more expensive, but Im willing to pay for the right gun and believe me a remington pump I know is not the best gun, its just the right gun with the nostalgia of me as a kid!!
Kthovis33, don’t sell the Rem 760-7600 short when you say “not the best gun” because they are a damn good hunting rifle and their reliability is outstanding (never hand one jam under any conditions) and accurate - 2” MOA is expected and 1”-1 1/2” common. You can also have the trigger “tuned” and several gunsmiths specialize in working on 760/7600 triggers (you mail out the trigger assembly and they will adjust it down to 2 1/2 to 3bs - crisp—and mail it back).
Enjoy your project…

I sold my carbine because they went from a handy rifle to overpriced.

Buy the regular model for a fraction of the cost and have the barrel shortened. And while at a competent gunsmith. Have the action worked so it feeds smoother. They are pretty rickety and crude feeding. But if you find one well used that feeds well, the barrel and action are usually not pristine.
Find a clean full length model and chop the barrel.
Altitude, I’m not sure what you mean by having “action worked so it feeds smoother”? I’ve never handled one that wasn’t Slick & Smooth right out of the box, even old, used and beat up 760s seem to remain “smooth”. I know what you mean by Their “Rickety” feel but I think it is because of their design (Free Floated barrel above the slide - unlike most pump actions). The cheap point on these rifles is their trigger - based on a Remington 870 shotgun design and usually have lots of “creep” similar to shotgun triggers. I don’t believe there is a better after market trigger available for them but several Gunsmiths specialize in adjusting 760/7600 triggers and do excellent work - friend had one done and the improvement was significant. About cutting down the barrel length - it is a cheaper alternative to buying original Carbine and you could select a better length ie: 20” vs. the 18” carbine. An 18” barrel fails to take advantage of a .308 or .30-06 performance (22”-24” is better for ballistics)…. But then again, who cares about ballistics ? in a 760/7600 —- it’s Not what they are being purchased for and won’t matter at all on a deer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrinidadOg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.