Versatile Scope 375 Ruger?

wildwilderness

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
USA, Canada, Mexico, Australia, South Africa, Greenland, Cameroon, Zimbabwe, Argentina
I need to scope my 375 Ruger for a 1 gun Safari- everything from Duiker to Elephant! I would like to be able to shoot out to 250yds on plains game.

I’m looking at the Trijicon 1-6x24 accupoint or the Trijicon 2-10x36 Credo.

My preference is more magnification but I have not hunted Big 5 with a rifle yet.

On the low end does 1 power Vs 2 power make a real difference?

3056E021-C185-464D-9C96-EE1EBB88AA74.jpeg

I have the Alaskan version. Mine sports a 1-5x24 VX5HD with firedot.

Since you are chasing elephant, you should go with the 1-6x24. I have not hunted elephant, however, Woods, Robertson, and Boddington indicate that shots may be at 20 yards - you would be harmed by magnification in this case. I also have the 1-6x24 Trijicon (on an AR-10) and it should reach to 250 for you easily. I took a Blesbock at a lazered 253 with my 1-5x24, and it was quite adequate.

Make sure you get a cheekiest on the comb that you can hook your cheekbone onto in order to get consistent alignment of your ocular cavity to the bore of the scope.

1x5 or 1x6 prefer Swarovski 30mm scopes

I also have a Ruger Alaskan in 375R.
I'm using a Leupold 1.5x5 VXIII.
Its all that's needed and fits the rifle well.
Get some good QD rings for it!!!!

I took an Accupoint 1-6 to S. Africa, and hunted DG & PG. Some of the PG were far and I pushed the limit of the 375, and the scope worked perfectly. It’s a great scope and it doesn’t brake the bank either.

Boy, those newer scopes with multiples of 8 could solve your problem on everything from close in charges to reaching out there. Zeiss makes a great one...cry once

I had a 1.5-5 Leupold on my 375 for several big hunts. I took buffalo, hippo, and a lot of plains game with it including a warthog at 330 yards. I made decision to upgrade to a 2-10 Leupold this year and think it’s the better scope for rifle. On the low end of these two scopes the 30 mm 2x has a larger field of view than the 1” 1.5x. What really made me change was trying to shoot a hyena in near dark conditions. I needed better glass. 5x is great for Zimbabwe, but 375 is a very versatile rifle and I can’t see a reason to limit yourself at high end when I had no intention of setting scope at 1.5x anyway.

I also have a Ruger Alaskan in 375R.
I'm using a Leupold 1.5x5 VXIII.
Its all that's needed and fits the rifle well.
Get some good QD rings for it!!!!
That was my set up too on my 23 inch barreled version. Awhile back, I found a good deal on a Leica Magnus 1-6.3 x24 illuminated reticle scope and swapped out the Leupold. Went with Alaska Arms quick release rings.

Leica no longer makes the Magnus series, but I wouldn't hesitate to try the Amplus series.

As to illumination- how does accupoint compare to battery operated one?

Also field of view mentioned on a 2x with 30mm tube vs 1.5x on 1” tube… will have to see what an Elephants head looks like at 20 yards. Anyone have an estimate with and length of an average Ele head?

Similar rifle, I went with a Leupold VX6 2-12x and never felt under or overpowered with optics from 50-200 yard shots. I really like the Z8i 1-8x for my 416, but wish I could zoom in a bit more shooting past 100 yards sometimes. All personal choice for the task at hand.

922858E7-430A-49F4-B074-F307FCF6D47E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agenttinah

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….