Daktari

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
US: FL, ME
I just got back from my first ever Sora Rail hunt. I first learned about Soras after seeing them in the regulations for migratory birds and then began researching how to hunt them. I learned it was traditionally done hunting in a canoe being push poled by another person in the tall grass usually consisting of spartina grass down South or in the wild rice flats up North. John J. Audubon called rail bird shooting: "The sport of kings" and the fact that it is so esoteric made me want to experience it even more. There are four huntable rail species which are the Sora, Virginia, Clapper, and King Rails. The Sora Rail is the smallest of the four, most common in New England, and can fly at speeds of 40 miles per hour, which I soon found out which makes them difficult quarry for a novice wingshooter such as myself. I found a guide in Maine who is experienced in hunting Soras the traditional way and I quickly jumped at the opportunity to hunt a game bird that many don't know even exists.
71536898446__58BA8C7B-4CFE-4060-8D13-B656F6130F6A.jpg

IMG_6967.jpg

IMG_6968.jpg

As I was push poled through the wild rice we bumped hundreds of ducks - Mallards, Blacks, and Wood ducks. The scenery itself made the hunt worth it. About an hour into the hunt we flushed the first Sora rail of the day and it was a clean miss! After a few more shots and perseverance I connected on my first Sora and it was retrieved successfully. I was incredibly proud to be part of a tradition that dates back centuries. Unfortunately the number of rails was much lower than in years past in this particular area and I finished with two birds. On an ideal day a limit of 25 can be had. However, I had an amazing time and got to see beautiful country and got humbled by a little bird the size of my hand with a shotgun. I look forward to rail hunting again!
image000000.jpg

image000000 (1).jpg

Regrettably I did not get a picture of myself with the birds I harvested. One was sent away for mounting and the other was destined for the plate. The finished products of each will be posted in time.

Looks like quite an experience! I'm happy you have got to live a "dream"!

I enjoy rail hunting, I haven’t experienced a proper rail hunt “push polling“ through the salt marsh but walking the edge and jump shooting, normally pass on the soras but my old Chesapeake would catch them. I would take the Virginia and clapper rails. I’ve found them pretty good as table fair especially the clappers Virginia rails need a little creative cooking in my humble opinion. Congratulations on a new experience.

Neat hunt!

Rail hunting is a lot of fun! We just did traditional walk up in the Marsh. I thought they tasted great but this was in the marshes of Virginia. Would love to try to hunt Sora rails!

I can’t say I’ve actually hunted king rails but have shot a few in Louisiana and here in Alabama while duck hunting. They tend to be a little bigger than clapper rail and are almost exclusively in freshwater marshes as the clappers are found in the salt marsh.

Thanks for sharing your adventure.

I would love to see how a mounted Sora rail turns out. Years ago I had a clapper, Virginia a common Moore hen and a purple gallinule in the freezer for mounting but we had a hurricane that knocked out our power so they ruined. Not really ruined but when they thawed out I grilled and ate them.

Hunted them a couple of times in Kansas, had a blast and the family enjoyed eating them.

Tasting notes for Sora Rails: They are a red meat bird with breasts that taste similar to dove and legs that reminded me of chicken. Unfortunately one bird yields about 4 bites

Where in Maine were you hunting? This sounds like a great hunt.

About an hour north of Portland

That looks great, think of a rail hunt this weekend, was going last Saturday but the wind was blowing the bay into a frothy mess and didn’t feel like dealing with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColetteJ48

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?