Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
Africa 6 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
Greetings each and every one,

PRE-HUNT:
Yours truly just returned from a family vacation, on the Hawaiian island of Kauai, AKA Kaua'i.
All told, there was my young trophy wife (still only in her 50's), both sons, (in their mid and late 30's) the older son's excellent wife and my wacky self, staying in two separate places.

My wife, younger son and myself rented a small 2 bedroom 1 & 1/2 bathroom place, across the street from a small beach, (Poi Pu area).
It included a propane outdoor grill on our very private lanai (patio), facing the water.
We grilled fish, pork, beef or chicken pretty much every day.
Our place was actually a duplex, landlord lived upstairs and downstairs unit is rented to vacationers.
We did plenty of scuba diving and snorkeling as well as, "boogie-boarding" (a boogie-board is essentially 1/3 of a very cheaply made surf board that, you hold to your chest while riding the incoming ocean waves, it's a real kick in the shorts) .
Older son and his wife opted for a package deal in one of the better hotels, also near Poi Pu.
Those two, almost still newly-weds, do not scuba dive but, they joined us for all the other activities mentioned plus, they did some side excursions by themselves, such as jungle hikes and one day of guided kayaking, on the only officially "navigable" river in the Hawaiian islands.

Both of the boys and myself all gave the local reef fish some good laughs as we tried and tried in vain to spear them.
I managed to bag one rather small one but that was it for our considerable time spent x3 with our spears and snorkel gear.
I've always considered spearfishing while scuba diving as un-sporting, (whether legal in some places or not).
IMO, it's about like taping a spotlight to your rifle barrel, for shooting deer at night, not very cool at all.
Great snorkeling fun anyway, in spite of having to buy our dinner from the local grocery store every time - LOL.
Our only defense is that, the surf was up the whole two weeks, due to the Trade Winds constant presence during our vacation.
This made water near shore rather murky, with the sand staying agitated by the large and constant waves.

Getting in and back out with scuba gear on was extremely sporting as well.
But at least with scuba equipment, once we made it through the surf itself, we could then casually swim on the surface, a good way from shore, prior to submerging and thereby avoiding at least part of the churned up sand / poor visibility conditions.
That is our fishless story and we are sticking to it.
This "Surf's Up" condition made for very fine boogie-boarding though, so there is that.

A LUAU:
One evening the entire family attended one of these Tourist Trap Luau supper buffet / outdoor floor show events (the show amounted to lots of singing and dancing, on a large wooden platform outdoors, that was located within a fancy hotel's property).
The show was geared for, I'm not sure what type of persons.
They shamed a few people with birthdays and a few people on their honeymoons, etc., to climb onto the stage for hula dancing lessons, etc., etc.
Glad I wasn't one of them.
However, the food was definitely outstanding plus, after a couple of the excellent local Longboard Lagers, I began to find entertainment value in their show, if perhaps only in my own dysfunctional kind of way.

HUNTING HAWAIIAN BOARS:
My younger son decided he would save his money for more scuba diving and so did not hunt pigs this time.
My older son and I hunted with Patrick Fisher's "Hawaii Safaris".
I rented a rifle for this and my boy brought his favorite compound bow (Mathews brand?) for spot and stalk of piggy wiggy.
And, he bagged a very fine old boar with a heavy arrow / two edged broadhead.
He is a member of this forum ("DoubleLunger") and I was off somewhere else for my bacon when he scored, so I will not attempt to tell his story.
He will do that and he will post our photos as well.

RENTED RIFLE:
It was a Ruger "American" model, bolt action, green plastic stock, caliber 6.5 Creedmoor, Hornady
140 grain A-Max factory ammunition.
The trigger was very Glock-like, looooong squishy pull, ending with a very hard "speed bump" that took a determined lurch of my trigger finger to make it "go bang".
This rifle was equipped with newer Redfield 3 to 9x scope, that had more hash marks in it than on the sleeve of any evil dictator's uniform.
There was a folding bi-pod attached to the forend.
This futuristic looking rifle proved very accurate, in spite of the sad trigger design and maybe 20 or more graduated / busy looking aiming points or reticules in it to choose from.
My PH said no need to actually fire this thing as it was "already dialed in".
But thankfully he did instruct me to dry fire it a few times and I did.

THE SHOT:
Mid afternoon, my PH drove us to a place where we could see perhaps about 500 meters or yards, looking slightly downhill, on a track / sendero / game trail, that went more or less in a straight line through some of the thickest true jungle I have ever seen (and I've been in more than one or two jungles).

We exited the 4x4 truck quietly and made the long and difficult hike of about 5 or 6 steps beyond the front of the truck - exhausting, I thought walking those half dozen paces would never end, good thing they were slightly down hill.
Anyway, then we made ready behind a slight rise in the earth.
He whispered for me to chamber a round and stay close to the rifle.
I just left the scope on 9x, as instructed to do.
Within 10 minutes, and to my delight, a pig here and a pig there began to walk back and forth across the trail, constantly sniffing and feeding as they went, beginning around 150 yards and clear out 500 yards.
Most were sows and piglets.
Soon (sun was still up) when a mature boar appeared at about 275 yards (according to certain down range land marks the PH used for distance markers).
Piggy was constantly moving about, busy eating grass that was growing beside the trail and rooting in the wet earth, presumably for bulbs, bugs and worms.

I was on him and aiming according to how the PH had instructed me to use the multiple-reticule scope (I sort of almost followed his instructions for using this scope - LOL).
In other words, I could not actually see the specific hash mark he said to use in that "tacticool" scope, against the black haired target, in the considerable shade, down range.
So, when piggy suddenly stopped rooting around, his head snapped upward, as if to listen to something in the forest, which we could not hear so far away.
He was positioned somewhat quartering toward us.
I quickly settled the main / center cross wires, just a tic above the juncture of his neck and shoulder, to allow for what I understood the bullet's trajectory would be and I torched one off.

"Whack" came back the faint but satisfying music of a kugel schlag (bullet impacting in this case - pork and bone).
My boar rolled down hill a few yards.
The 6.5 Creedmoor has so little recoil that, I was able to watch him through the scope as he tumbled, until stopping in a shallow washed out depression.
Straight away, we hot-footed over the 275 yards to him and discovered he was stone dead.

The little 140 gr A-Max spitzer impacted farther back than I was aiming but, good enough for the kind of girls I go with.
The entrance wound was immediately behind the left shoulder, and a little higher than I would have liked (damage to the pork chops, AKA: back strap).
The exit wound was about the size of an American or Canadian quarter, and located on his right side, high on the last rib.
The PH graciously declared that piggy had suddenly moved forward at the moment of ignition however, I'm not so sure about that.
When the planets don't line up just exactly right, I have been known to muff a shot now and then.

CONCLUSION:
I'm unable to post photos, because computers dislike me personally and they just won't cooperate beyond simply typing words for me.
However, my previously mentioned archer son will post our photos when he either adds to this thread or posts his own separate thread on this Boar Hunt.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

PS:
I realized half way through typing this that, I should have done so in another spot within the forum (Hunting Reports USA & Canada).
So with my apology and appropriate embarrassment, hopefully one of our excellent Moderators might be willing to move this whole crashbangeroo over to the appropriate section ?
If not, you guys are still the best.

dadspig.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings each and every one,

PRE-HUNT:
Yours truly just returned from a family vacation, on the Hawaiian island of Kauai, AKA Kaua'i.
All told, there was my young trophy wife (still only in her 50's), both sons, (in their mid and late 30's) the older son's excellent wife and my wacky self, staying in two separate places.

My wife, younger son and myself rented a small 2 bedroom 1 & 1/2 bathroom place, across the street from a small beach, (Poi Pu area).
It included a propane outdoor grill on our very private lanai (patio), facing the water.
We grilled fish, pork, beef or chicken pretty much every day.
Our place was actually a duplex, landlord lived upstairs and downstairs unit is rented to vacationers.
We did plenty of scuba diving and snorkeling as well as, "boogie-boarding" (a boogie-board is essentially 1/3 of a very cheaply made surf board that, you hold to your chest while riding the incoming ocean waves, it's a real kick in the shorts) .
Older son and his wife opted for a package deal in one of the better hotels, also near Poi Pu.
Those two, almost still newly-weds, do not scuba dive but, they joined us for all the other activities mentioned plus, they did some side excursions by themselves, such as jungle hikes and one day of guided kayaking, on the only officially "navigable" river in the Hawaiian islands.

Both of the boys and myself all gave the local reef fish some good laughs as we tried and tried in vain to spear them.
I managed to bag one rather small one but that was it for our considerable time spent x3 with our spears and snorkel gear.
I've always considered spearfishing while scuba diving as un-sporting, (whether legal in some places or not).
IMO, it's about like taping a spotlight to your rifle barrel, for shooting deer at night, not very cool at all.
Great snorkeling fun anyway, in spite of having to buy our dinner from the local grocery store every time - LOL.
Our only defense is that, the surf was up the whole two weeks, due to the Trade Winds constant presence during our vacation.
This made water near shore rather murky, with the sand staying agitated by the large and constant waves.

Getting in and back out with scuba gear on was extremely sporting as well.
But at least with scuba equipment, once we made it through the surf itself, we could then casually swim on the surface, a good way from shore, prior to submerging and thereby avoiding at least part of the churned up sand / poor visibility conditions.
That is our fishless story and we are sticking to it.
This "Surf's Up" condition made for very fine boogie-boarding though, so there is that.

A LUAU:
One evening the entire family attended one of these Tourist Trap Luau supper buffet / outdoor floor show events (the show amounted to lots of singing and dancing, on a large wooden platform outdoors, that was located within a fancy hotel's property).
The show was geared for, I'm not sure what type of persons.
They shamed a few people with birthdays and a few people on their honeymoons, etc., to climb onto the stage for hula dancing lessons, etc., etc.
Glad I wasn't one of them.
However, the food was definitely outstanding plus, after a couple of the excellent local Longboard Lagers, I began to find entertainment value in their show, if perhaps only in my own dysfunctional kind of way.

HUNTING HAWAIIAN BOARS:
My younger son decided he would save his money for more scuba diving and so did not hunt pigs this time.
My older son and I hunted with Patrick Fisher's "Hawaii Safaris".
I rented a rifle for this and my boy brought his favorite compound bow (Mathews brand?) for spot and stalk of piggy wiggy.
And, he bagged a very fine old boar with a heavy arrow / two edged broadhead.
He is a member of this forum ("DoubleLunger") and I was off somewhere else for my bacon when he scored, so I will not attempt to tell his story.
He will do that and he will post our photos as well.

RENTED RIFLE:
It was a Ruger "American" model, bolt action, green plastic stock, caliber 6.5 Creedmoor, Hornady
140 grain A-Max factory ammunition.
The trigger was very Glock-like, looooong squishy pull, ending with a very hard "speed bump" that took a determined lurch of my trigger finger to make it "go bang".
This rifle was equipped with newer Redfield 3 to 9x scope, that had more hash marks in it than on the sleeve of any evil dictator's uniform.
There was a folding bi-pod attached to the forend.
This futuristic looking rifle proved very accurate, in spite of the sad trigger design and maybe 20 or more graduated / busy looking aiming points or reticules in it to choose from.
My PH said no need to actually fire this thing as it was "already dialed in".
But thankfully he did instruct me to dry fire it a few times and I did.

THE SHOT:
Mid afternoon, my PH drove us to a place where we could see perhaps about 500 meters or yards, looking slightly downhill, on a track / sendero / game trail, that went more or less in a straight line through some of the thickest true jungle I have ever seen (and I've been in more than one or two jungles).

We exited the 4x4 truck quietly and made ready behind a slight rise in the earth.
He had me chamber a round and stay close to the rifle.
I just left the scope on 9x, as instructed to do.
Within 10 minutes, and to my delight, a pig here and a pig there began to walk back and forth across the trail, constantly sniffing and feeding as they went, beginning around 150 yards and clear out 500 yards.
Most were sows and piglets.
Soon (sun was still up) when a mature boar appeared at about 275 yards (according to certain down range land marks the PH used for distance markers).
Piggy was constantly moving about, busy eating grass that was growing beside the trail and rooting in the wet earth, presumably for bulbs, bugs and worms.

I was on him and aiming according to how the PH had instructed me to use the multiple-reticule scope (I sort of almost followed his instructions for using this scope - LOL).
In other words, I could not actually see the specific hash mark he said to use in that "tacticool" scope, against the black haired target, in the considerable shade, down range.
So, when piggy suddenly stopped rooting around, his head snapped upward, as if to listen to something in the forest, which we could not hear so far away.
He was positioned somewhat quartering toward us.
I quickly settled the main / center cross wires, just a tic above the juncture of his neck and shoulder, to allow for what I understood the bullet's trajectory would be and I torched one off.

"Whack" came back the faint but satisfying music of a kugel schlag (bullet impacting in this case - pork and bone).
My boar rolled down hill a few yards.
The 6.5 Creedmoor has so little recoil that, I was able to watch him through the scope as he tumbled, until stopping in a shallow washed out depression.
Straight away, we hot-footed over the 275 yards to him and discovered he was stone dead.

The little 140 gr A-Max spitzer impacted farther back than I was aiming but, good enough for the kind of girls I go with.
The entrance wound was immediately behind the left shoulder, and a little higher than I would have liked (damage to the pork chops, AKA: back strap).
The exit wound was about the size of an American or Canadian quarter, and located on his right side, high on the last rib.
The PH graciously declared that piggy had suddenly moved forward at the moment of ignition however, I'm not so sure about that.
When the planets don't line up just exactly right, I have been known to muff a shot now and then.

CONCLUSION:
I'm unable to post photos, because computers dislike me personally and they just won't cooperate beyond simply typing words for me.
However, my previously mentioned archer son will post our photos when he either adds to this thread or posts his own separate thread on this Boar Hunt.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

PS:
I realized half way through typing this that, I should have done so in another spot within the forum (Hunting Reports USA & Canada).
So with my apology and appropriate embarrassment, hopefully one of our excellent Moderators might be willing to move this whole crashbangeroo over to the appropriate section ?
If not, you guys are still the best.

Excellent and Thank You Velo. You have reminded me that I still owe a report from Hawaii this year...

Thanks for sharing the adventure.

Thank you Velo Dog for a great report and congrats on squeezing in some hunt time on what sounds like a wonderful family vacation! I am just a tiny bit jealous :)
Kauai is absolutely my favorite Hawaiian island. Went there last year and stayed at Poi Pu beach. Marvelous!
Also congrats to @DoubleLunger on his success with the bow. Looking forward to hearing about that as well.
Quality time with family like you've just enjoyed is one of life's treasures.
My best

I to plan to write a report on this exciting vacation and journey yet my writing does not compare to the high level of my father's so I apologize in advance. Yet to make up for the fact that I skipped school during 3rd period writing class I have attached pics from this exciting hunt.....

IMG_1991.JPG

IMG_1868.JPG

May I mind you that my paps has always(and probably always will be) one of the best marksmen I will ever know.....regardless of any type of rifle he is handed

Love Kauai!! Great to combine a hunt with that vacation. Someday when the nest is down to just me and Donna we will return and hopefully do a pig hunt. Are these pigs worth eating?

Kauai is awesome.... been 2x. Love it there. We saw free range wild goats on mountainsides in Waimea Canyon..... sheer cliffs, directly under us. #reddirt

Sounds like a great time and thankz for sharing!

Kauai is awesome.... been 2x. Love it there. We saw free range wild goats on mountainsides in Waimea Canyon..... sheer cliffs, directly under us. #reddirt

My wife and I also hiked Waimea Canyon and did not see the goats but heard plenty all around us. The canyon was quite a sight

Thanks for sharing!

Awesome story as always @Velo Dog !

And great job for you too @DoubleLunger !

The only additional comment I have is to point out the disturbing trend I see around using those fancy non 4x scopes... I'm starting to think that you're starting to secretly like them Paul... 9x???

;)

Sounds like you Guys had a great time, thanks for posting

Hi PHOENIX PHIL,

In response to your question: "Are these pigs worth eating?" ...... Not sure yet.
They do not smell bad like the feral hogs I have shot in central / northern California did.
Their odor slightly more resembled deer or goat than swine.
We have a comparatively small amount of sausages and smoked meat given to us, in exchange for the whole carcasses of our pigs.
This agreement was more to our liking, since having our animals processed, frozen and shipped to both Virginia and Alaska would have been very expensive.
Instead, we just bought a couple of small cooler boxes from a local store and then packed paper, etc. around what frozen meats they had given to us and brought each back to our respective homes, as checked luggage.
Sometime in the next few weeks or less, I plan to thaw out a bit of this protein and cook it up.
I will let you know what I think of it.

I'm glad you were able to make the long hike! I LOL'ed at your description of that!

Awesome story as always @Velo Dog !

And great job for you too @DoubleLunger !

The only additional comment I have is to point out the disturbing trend I see around using those fancy non 4x scopes... I'm starting to think that you're starting to secretly like them Paul... 9x???

;)

Aloha Royal,

Even a fleeting glance into my toy box will tell you that, I don't waste my paychecks on scopes that are possessed of over-abundant options or with very many moving parts.

But when one rents the rifle from some other person, one is stuck with whatever said other person's ideas of what a proper rifle is, including the sighting equipment.
I liked the cartridge I shot the pig with, but for us Hand Loaders, I do not see how it is superior to the 6.5 Swede in any way.

Factory ammunition for the Creedmoor round is however loaded to higher velocity than factory ammunition is for the Swede, so there is that.
Probably needless to say that the rifle itself and the scope were definitely nothing that I would ever want.
But great times on that island, including the pig hunt so, I am grateful to have experienced it, no matter what the rented rifle turned out to be.

Cheerio,
Paul.

Love Kauai!! Great to combine a hunt with that vacation. Someday when the nest is down to just me and Donna we will return and hopefully do a pig hunt. Are these pigs worth eating?

Just the other day my wife and I had the sausages we were sent home with. They were great

Glad you and your son had a good hunt.

I always enjoy your writing style. Great report.

We need to see a photo of your reef fish. Did you take your own spearo equipment or rent it? Sorry you didn't have better visibility.

Good report guys!

Glad you and your son had a good hunt.

I always enjoy your writing style. Great report.

We need to see a photo of your reef fish. Did you take your own spearo equipment or rent it? Sorry you didn't have better visibility.

Hi Wheels,

Thanks, and likewise I always enjoy your writing style as well.

The only fish skewered was perhaps the length of my hand, from heel to finger tips.
If we had been fishing for crappie, we'd have thrown that one back, so he could grow a bit.
And since we had no magnifying lens, no photo was taken, LOL.

We used our own gear.
My sons both have pole spears (about 7', including the spring steel 3 fingered point) that thread apart for travel.
They fit easily into any typical checked luggage.
I also have one but, I brought my speargun for this trip.
It is the smallest one that Riffe makes (27") and it fits corner to corner into my rolling, checked luggage / bag.
However, the place where we tried our luck prohibited spear guns.
Only pole spears are legal at that stretch of shoreline.
So the 3 of us took turns with 2 pole spears.
My speargun (that stayed dry the entire two weeks - oye vey) is made primarily of Teak and is powered by two very stout rubber bands (they're also tubular bands but, much thicker and stouter than "surgical tubing" is).
The singular point steel spear will pass through large-ish reef fish (5 or so pounds) every time at all of 3 feet from the point, if not a few inches further.
Its velocity is noticeably faster than a pole spear, making it almost impossible for even the most acrobatic fish to "jump the spear" (directly comparable to warthogs, impala, deer, etc "jumping the string" in bow hunting).

I know you are very familiar with all this "spear fishing 101" trivia but, I post the boring details here for those who are not familiar with spear fishing.
A pole spear is to spearfishing what a flintlock is to deer hunting.
It is powered by a loop of "surgical tubing" at the tail end, through which you slip your hand, with the rubber tubing resting in the web of the hand.
When a target fish is seen, you "cock" this spear by gripping with your other hand, the spear shank well ahead of your shooting hand and pressing the spear backward, causing considerable tension on the tubing against the web of your shooting hand.
You hold tightly to the spear shaft now with your shooting hand, then you take a breath and submerge to try for a shot.

The idea is to not appear like you're trying to spear the fish, because they are precisely like pretty much any animal species that's been hunted before.
IE: If you stare at Mr. Fishy, and / or swim directly toward him, he gets very nervous and will dart away before you get close enough.
And, a pole spear has only about 2 feet range.
Getting a spear point within two feet of a nervous fish is indeed tricky.
When talking about his childhood experiences in spearfishing, the famous Hawaiian Chef and celebrated Author, Sam Choy said it best: "You have to move with the rhythms of nature".

So anyway, that's my spearfishing story this time and I'm stuck with it.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Thanks for the extra bit of information.

I enjoy/appreciate the pole spear part of your story as much or more as the hog hunt!

Spearfishing has gotten more difficult as I age vs. hunting with a rifle. Downtime's are shorter. Depth is much shallower. All the time is spent going down and coming up instead of spending time on the bottom hunting. Plus with the extra lard I am carrying, I tend to be more like a bobber than a diver.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wovoka

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?