Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Black Sheep Bowmen Archery Club.
Hunted
Namibia and South Africa
Alaska's summer lasy year wasn't all that great for me, I was up to my eyeballs in OT and weather was just kinda crummy. So a couple months ago I decided I needed a little time in the sun in January. It turns out Alaska Air has cheap fares to Fort Lauderdale in January, so I started planning.

Fishing was a big part of the trip, when I'm not hunting I was fishing. Without going into a day by day I hit canals in the Fort Lauderdale area for peacock bass and other cichlids, then Lake Okeechonee for largemouth bass, I-75 Alligator Alley for peacocks and such again and finally an afternoon near my hotel in Fort lauderdale for peacock bass. That said, the weather didn't work in my favor and fish were not biting well. Peacock bass and other cichlids like it warmer than it has been lately ao until my last day I was getting nowhere with them. Here's my monster largemouth from lake Okeechobee and a couple peacocks I caught on my last extra day I gained when Alaska Air cancelled my oroginal return flight for reasons we've all seen in the news.
45838.jpg
IMG_20240120_100550.jpg
IMG_20240120_101455.jpg
IMG_20240120_110259.jpg

After Lake Okeechobee I headed to the Brady Ranch near Indiantown for blackbuck. They have a great reputation for great axis deer and blackbuck along with some smaller herds of other exotics on an active cattle ranch. And to be honest, they have better prices than much of Texas. They run a very personal hunt, never more than one smaller group at a time. I was it on the ranch when I arrived on my first day in the afternoon. The ranch manager and guide, Ken Robertson had me check my rifle, the group was tight but it was a bit high and to the left, which I could easily compensate for I thought. Then we went off all over the ranch ckecking out various herds and groups of blackbuck until the sun set. The weather didn't cooperate and we got poured down on off and on. The side by side ATVs roof helped, but by the evening I was soaked. It was mid 70s f rain so it didn't phase me much. I had a great dinner at the lodge that evening, served up by Ken's wife Taffy and let my hunting clothes dry overnight on the porch.

Day two had us up bright and early. Rain had stopped and now it was clear to light fog. We checked out a couple herds I'd seen driving in. A couple bucks caught our eyes. Ken looked them over and none were under 20 inches (straight length) measurement by his estimations. At this point it was more a question of which one interested me more. We went back and forth between a couple hanging out in a bachelor herd and I decided to focus on one. Before making that decisions we were within 100 yards for a little bit on him. But we worked around and after deciding to focus on him he met up with a few others in a bachelor group and became tough to close in on. We had him at almost 300 yards and I wanted a closer shot so we worked diagonally in on him and he let his guard down a bit. At 100-130 yards we set up on sticks. He looked at us, giving me a quartering towards, brisket shot but another buck hung around just behind him. We waited and the other moved away and finally he offered a shot. I forgot to adjust and my 7mm-08 with 120 grain barnes TTSX went a little high and left, hitting the side of his neck. He dropped like a brick but when we got to him he was still breathing and needed a quick shot to dispatch him humanely. No one to blame there but myself, next time I'll correct anything like that at the range.

He's everything anyone could ask for in a mature blackbuck. For those curious in numbers, both horns are just shy of 21 inches straight length and close to 31 around the curls. Bases are 5 1/2 inches. Even with a little shrinkage he easily makes Rowland Ward and SCI gold medal I want to put him in a book.
IMG_20240120_110835.jpg
20240116_085356.jpg

Beautiful blackbuck. One day I'd like to hunt one.... Congrats
Bruce

Very nice! Gotta love Florida :cool:

Congrats. Interesting combo hunt and location. Glad you got out into some warm January weather.

Ok, I finally hit home base after 15+ hours. I know, you're envious...

So, next up was pig hunting, with a bow this time. I have hunted a few throughout the years (how did I get old enough to say that?), and not one on the wall. So I found Big Boar Hunts out of Naples and chatted with the owner, Eric. In a nutshell he's got a chunk of land just outside of the city, right next to plenty of thick Florida pine and palm woods. He feeds out corn on a regular basis and has some resident wild hogs he doesn't touch to draw in plenty of transients from the local area he does hunt that come and go. With regular food, they show up more than leave. Pretty savvy, IMO.
I was after a mature boar. Not mind blowing, but good old boar with nice teeth. I showed up for an afternoon hunt. We checked my bow on the target and all was good. Eric went over shot placement and the hunt. He's wary, obviously he's seen plenty of people who've shown up talking the talk and then not walking the walk. He knows what works and what doesn't. He liked my setup, PSE Affliction at 70 pounds with Easton FMJ arrows and Slicktrick broadheads. He's got no issues with mechanicals for whitetails, he uses them, but not for pigs. He works the hunt similar to a PH. You follow, he directs and points out the target animal and ranges if needed.

So out we go on his electric side by side checking bait areas nice and quiet. We worked a few sites and almost lined up a shot when a pig spotted him move. Off to the next, small pigs, etc. finally we move into one site pigs are feeding and he sees a couple prospective pigs in a herd of maybe 10-12 of various sizes. One sticks out to him. It's obviously old, teeth showing but the body is past prime. An old warrior. I'm game. He directs me to a good shooting opening in the trees. It gives a broadside shot and another pigs moves out from behind it. Draw, aim, release. WHACK. Not a good sound. I hit a little too far over and nailed the humerus bone joint. The arrow penetrates, but not far. I'm worried but Eric is actually not too panicked. We back off, give it 20 and get his tracker/skinner. We work our way around the area and within 10 minutes find the hog, it stumbles out of hiding and drops. It's done. We walk up and check, it's dead. The right humerus is busted and a lot of dark heart blood pours out when we roll it. Upon skinning it reveal the arrow hit the leg bone on the other side too. So it got the penetration and damage in between even with breaking one of the toughest bone joints. I caped and cleaned off the skull that night, the molars are warn down old.

IMG_20240120_091318.jpg
IMG_20240120_145826.jpg

And last but not least, dragons.

So, I worked my way out of Naples, checking fishing spots along 75/Alligator alley without luck as I mentioned. The following day, the day before I was supposed to leave, I lined up a four-8hour iguana and Egyptian goose hunt with Florida Adventure Outfitters LLC. Iguanas being prime target but if we saw invasive Egyptian geese, they were fair game too.
I showed up for a 1130-1530 hunt at their home base, packed up into their truck and let Jack, my captain and guide do the driving to a newer area they'd scouted recently in the heart of old school Miami full of iguanas. He went over the ins and out, dos and don't of hunting iguanas with a 22 caliber pellet gun and possibly noose on a long saltwater fishing pole in an urban setting. We dropped the boat in the water and within a couple minutes were cruising along prime habitat. After spotting a few we focused on one and I head shot it perfect. They're tough as nails and another shot assured it was down, we had one in the boat. Jack and I worked very well. He drove, spotted and directed and I worked off him. Occasionally I'd beat him to the punch with a spot. I understood that in this urban environment we had to consider the background for a shot and the local audience, some of who are supportive, some who may be known as a Karen. Hard embankment, concrete wall was OK, someones open yard or a chain link fence may be a no go, we worked angles to get good background too. Jack liked my skills with the pellet gun, claiming most clients averaged a kill every 10-15 shots to his frustration and I was doing more like ever 3-5. In my defense, I'm not taking awards home but I go to the range every week or two with 100-200 rounds through my Ruger 10/22 at small targets like broken clay pigeons to keep fluid. So this was up my alley. Now if you think every 3-5 shots is poor realize it's offhand shots while on a boat and more importantly, iguanas are tough as nails. Hell, tough as nails, nuts, and bolts.No joke, body shots are useless. I made head shots I had to back up with more head shots. They can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.
Anyway, we covered some ground and hit em hard. The most memorable shot was a classic dragon, a big orange male, lounging on a tree limb 20 feet up. Two good shot then a third to drop it in the water where we had to gaff if because it was still going. I hit one, then tackled it on the bank to keep it from diving into the canal and losing it. Add on some noosing, which is a physical feat as you lie low on the bow holding the noose pole out and slowly ease up and noose a big one and I had a crazy day.

By the end of the day I had 19 in the boat, at least 7 by noose. The single I'm holding is my beast from the tree.

IMG_20240120_111529.jpg
View attachment 581947View attachment 581948
View attachment 581952View attachment 581953

Last edited by a moderator:
For those wondering about meat and trophies. I filled a cooler with boned out blackbuck and boar and I have three one-gallon bags of iguana legs and tail sections to make into 'chicken of the tree' wings. They are quite edible, check out some kill and cook videos on Youtube if curious. I caped out the blackbuck at the ranch, and pig, well let's say its better my motel doesn't know, and salted them down. Everything was iced and chilled continually because hotels/motels have ice machines and mini fridges and ziplock makes good storage bags, use 'em. I bought a cooler at Wally-world on the trip for storage and transportation. Easier to buy it than pay for it as baggage from the start. Before the flight home I ditched the ice. Airlines don't like bagged ice or dry ice. Everything stays cold under a plane. I have had no issues in the past doing this, I expect none now. It doesn't hurt the cooler is on my back porch and it's single digits as I write. The pig skull and capes went in the cooler, blackbuck horns in my suitcase. No issues.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Fun way to get away from the Alaska winter. Since I live in Florida I need to get my arse down south for an Iguana hunt. As a kid I roamed our farm with my trusty 22 Crossman most every day. Rats at the dump, pigeons and starlings but the best were ground hogs. Walking along the ground hogs go quick to the hole. Very carefully stalk to the backside of the opening and wait. Most of the time within 10 minutes he would start to poke his head out and bang. One summer as a 12 year old my record was 42.

Awesome trip please post pictures and review of the cooked Iguana!

To have pigs that are not nocturnal he is doing something right. He must not pressure them
Too much. What a Florida safari. Thanks for the write up.

Heck of a trip! I'm sure that was a nice retreat from your home Winter for a short while. My wife wants to go shoot some Iguanas in Florida next summer.... thanks for the lead!

Very interesting combo! Thanks for posting. How did you hear about the outfits you went with? An outdoor show, friend, or just research online? I didn’t realize Florida had exotics to hunt. The outfits i see at shows are usually pigs, gators and more recently the iguanas.

Ok, I finally hit home base after 15+ hours. I know, you're envious...

So, next up was pig hunting, with a bow this time. I have hunted a few throughout the years (how did I get old enough to say that?), and not one on the wall. So I found Big Boar Hunts out of Naples and chatted with the owner, Eric. In a nutshell he's got a chunk of land just outside of the city, right next to plenty of thick Florida pine and palm woods. He feeds out corn on a regular basis and has some resident wild hogs he doesn't touch to draw in plenty of transients from the local area he does hunt that come and go. With regular food, they show up more than leave. Pretty savvy, IMO.
I was after a mature boar. Not mind blowing, but good old boar with nice teeth. I showed up for an afternoon hunt. We checked my bow on the target and all was good. Eric went over shot placement and the hunt. He's wary, obviously he's seen plenty of people who've shown up talking the talk and then not walking the walk. He knows what works and what doesn't. He liked my setup, PSE Affliction at 70 pounds with Easton FMJ arrows and Slicktrick broadheads. He's got no issues with mechanicals for whitetails, he uses them, but not for pigs. He works the hunt similar to a PH. You follow, he directs and points out the target animal and ranges if needed.

So out we go on his electric side by side checking bait areas nice and quiet. We worked a few sites and almost lined up a shot when a pig spotted him move. Off to the next, small pigs, etc. finally we move into one site pigs are feeding and he sees a couple prospective pigs in a herd of maybe 10-12 of various sizes. One sticks out to him. It's obviously old, teeth showing but the body is past prime. An old warrior. I'm game. He directs me to a good shooting opening in the trees. It gives a broadside shot and another pigs moves out from behind it. Draw, aim, release. WHACK. Not a good sound. I hit a little too far over and nailed the humerus bone joint. The arrow penetrates, but not far. I'm worried but Eric is actually not too panicked. We back off, give it 20 and get his tracker/skinner. We work our way around the area and within 10 minutes find the hog, it stumbles out of hiding and drops. It's done. We walk up and check, it's dead. The right humerus is busted and a lot of dark heart blood pours out when we roll it. Upon skinning it reveal the arrow hit the leg bone on the other side too. So it got the penetration and damage in between even with breaking one of the toughest bone joints. I caped and cleaned off the skull that night, the molars are warn down old.

View attachment 581945View attachment 581946
Have to add that I love Slick trick broadheads

Very interesting combo! Thanks for posting. How did you hear about the outfits you went with? An outdoor show, friend, or just research online? I didn’t realize Florida had exotics to hunt. The outfits i see at shows are usually pigs, gators and more recently the iguanas.
I'd heard about the Brady ranch in the past, don't rcall exactly how. So tracking them down again was easy. Web searches for everything else. Though there's plenty of choices there for meat hogs and I would have gone elsewhere for that, I was after something big this go around. Iguana was also a web search and honestly they were the ones available for my day I wanted. I am very glad they were available, they know there stuff and Jack and I worked well together.Okeechobee bass fishing just kind of popped in my head while researching my other fishing plans. It's there and known for big largemouth bass, so why not try. I actually used a guide for peacock bass on a work assignment down there in 2020, which was very effective since they have the knowledge and a boat. But this time I wanted to try for all the cichlids and I had the time so I got a lot of web research knowledge and looked over Google maps of every area I could get access too to learn the canals. My success rate was lower, but the weather was hitting everyone hard, my iguana guide said they weren't catching them either.

Thanks for a great idea to get out of the Alaska winter!

How did you coordinate the fishing? Was it DIY? Boat rental?

Thanks for any tips

Thanks for a great idea to get out of the Alaska winter!

How did you coordinate the fishing? Was it DIY? Boat rental?

Thanks for any tips
Lake Okeechobee largemouth bass was a guide since a boat is the way to go for that. I can't say one service looked any better than the other. As for cichlids (peacock bass, Mayan, jaguar and midas cichlids) I decided to go DIY this time since I had a few days and a car. I watched a lot of YouTube videos on the different species in Miami canals and learned a lot of both how and where. Then I researched Google Earth maps of the areas I would be near and areas some of the fishing guide services mention they fish near. Some places are accesible by foot, some not. Plus you gotta find places to park, which may be a challenge. There's a canal along the I-75 Alligator alley, but access is kind of tough for most of it. My first day I parked in Markham Park on the west side of Fort Lauderdale area and walked canals near it. It cost a couple bucks to park there but it's a pretty safe place and offers a lot of access to canals outside the park if you're willing to walk. If you only have a day or two I'd say get a guide. They have a boat, which opens up access and they have the knowledge. If you have the time and want to go DIY I will say most fishing is better when it's warmer, especially all the cichlids. They're transplants from the tropics and need warm water. So, IMO, early spring or fall would work out better for a time to be there with active fish, but not be sweating to death in the summer heat. Late October/early November before the holidays and late February into March would probably be good, before college spring break.

As for saltwater, I know very little. Though the one trip I tried in 2020 I learned it's more of a summer thing due to fish migration patterns. Talk to charter boats and ask lots of questions.

Awesome trip please post pictures and review of the cooked Iguana!
In the beginning. The trial run.
Cleaning up the smaller bag out of three from this trip. Will be breading and frying up these tomorrow and trying a chili sauce and jerk seasoning on them all.
20240125_174820.jpg
20240125_181810.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LatoyaNowa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,