Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA-CRSO, Pistol Inst., SCI,GOA
Hunted
USA: Florida, Ohio, Nebraska, RSA, Limpopo
I had thought about a Bison meat hunt for quite some time. Decided not to hold back when my Safari Times arrived and I saw an ad for Comstock Lodge, in Sargent , Nebraska. The drive time from NE Ohio was shorter than my trips to south Florida. Spent time updating some gear and hand loading for my M70 in .300 Win Mag. The Lodge is really beautiful and conducive to a relaxing stay. Many trophies on the walls, plus the view of the rolling hills is a delight.
A 3 year old bull had been selected as my target. The day of the hunt was windy, blowing 20-25 mph. And chilly at 20 degrees. After a few hours of slipping in and out of the herd, I was finally able to get set up for the shot. Using sticks, that were provided, I made the shot at 50 yards. Right into the ear cavity, which Mitch assured would do the job quickly. No running bull, no tainted meat. The Bison went down while I was under recoil and loading the next round, in case it was needed. Not needed!
Then the work began. Loading, hanging, skinning. The whole process, so familiar to anyone that has hunted large animals. I had decided to get the Bison processed at the Lodge. They have a nice facility nearby. A professional butcher asks how you would like your cuts. You call the shots, again. You are invited to help in the process also. All the cuts were made, vacuum packed. labelled and frozen, ready for your trip home.
My hide and skull were left at a local taxidermist, getting a rug and a Euro mount for the Man Cave.
I focused on mostly prime cuts, yet have ample ground meat. We had sirloin and rib steaks for Christmas.
I had such a wonderful time I hated to leave, but my shop will not run itself. Rox and Mitch seemed like friends that I had not visited in awhile. I will go back, because a freezer of Bison does not last forever! If you ever wanted to do a Bison meat hunt, what are you waiting for? I wasted a few years thinking about it. Check out the website for Comstock Lodge, in Sargent , Nebraska. Give Rox or Mitch a call, don't waste time thinking about it.
IMG_0715(1).jpg

Ive kicked around the idea of doing a bison meat hunt for the last several years.. but never committed to it.. I'd love to fill the freezer with bison.. and the cost seems reasonable at the different ranches I've talked to about it.. but for whatever reason I haven't pulled the proverbial trigger on doing it yet..

I typically buy either 1/4 or a 1/2 steer every year (much cheaper, and much better quality meat than buying from the grocery), put a deer or two in the freezer, etc.. and then supplement with some store bought chicken, fish, etc.. which easily gets us through the entire year (just 3 people in the house these days).. If I threw a young bison in there, I should be able to get away with just a 1/4 steer, and still be set for more than a year..

Ive kicked around the idea of doing a bison meat hunt for the last several years.. but never committed to it.. I'd love to fill the freezer with bison.. and the cost seems reasonable at the different ranches I've talked to about it.. but for whatever reason I haven't pulled the proverbial trigger on doing it yet..

I typically buy either 1/4 or a 1/2 steer every year (much cheaper, and much better quality meat than buying from the grocery), put a deer or two in the freezer, etc.. and then supplement with some store bought chicken, fish, etc.. which easily gets us through the entire year (just 3 people in the house these days).. If I threw a young bison in there, I should be able to get away with just a 1/4 steer, and still be set for more than a year..
Yes, you are on the right track. Young bulls or cows are far more tender. I am moving away from store bought meats. I do not know what is in the meat. A lot of sicknesses today may be traceable to the chemicals in our food. I also am passionate about hog hunting. Had several in the freezer the last few years. I mean, this is the kind of guy I am, I kill some hogs and then bring them home and teach them to swim in gravy with mashed potatoes. Used to catch my own lobster when I lived in Florida, bring the lobster home and teach them to swim in butter. How much nicer could I be?

Nice! Glad you found a hunt that worked for you! If I may ask, about how much finished meat weight did you take home?

I filled a 7 cu ft freezer by laying flat and stacking the vacuum packed cuts. The ground was pumped into round tubes. I have 55 lbs of ground. That is a result of trimming. Not that I do not want ground, I just wanted as much as choice as possible. Estimate is 275. I am going to weigh as I use the meat. I did not keep any of the organs. Big liver, but I would not eat liver if Raquel Welch hand feed me while... you figure the rest. Cheers!

Bison liver isn't bad, but the heart is better.

Tried a few times to enjoy liver, never got a taste for it though. Used to eat sandwiches of jellied veal tongue, made by Dubuque meats. Quite good. A sweet tasting meat.

Did the Buffalo hunt this past fall, was an ok hunt, took mine with the right behind the ear as well, then a follow up shooter on a second and shot one for a friend who was having shoulder problems. We went with a cow, and when beside them, they don't look "massive" as per the picture
Resized-20220930-083105.jpeg

But when hanging to skin and butcher, gives a real sense of how big they are
IMG-3157.jpg

Would suggest anyone with a freezer to do this hunt

You are correct. When on the ground they do not appear so big. Walking around they appear to be quite docile. This gets people into trouble. Enough articles about Yellowstone to not approach. They have a personal space issue. Seems about 50 yards. When they see you and are concerned the tail goes up half way ( unless doing their business) if it goes straight up, the decision is made and you may get steamrollered or gored. Even an immature bull or cow is going to hurt more than you want it to. On another note, the lodge I hunted has white bison. They look off white because they roll around. I would imagine once the hide is cleaned at the taxidermist it would be gorgeous. Their white bison hunts are most affordable compared to other locations. This was my first, and I am enjoying re living thru the photos and videos. next hunt will be for meat and a nice trophy hide! Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikelRason

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?