UK Trophy Bill

MarkCZ

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Finland, Estonia, C.Z. Poland, Slovakia, Romania, Scotland , England, Namibia
The Lords have talked out the proposed legislation to ban bringing home trophies from hunts. This is great news for the animals of Africa but I suspect the next government will try to resurrect it.
MarkCZ

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...il-end-controversial-Trophy-Hunting-Bill.html

When I was at Mabalabala in July there was a copy of Wild & Jag magazine by the bedside. In it, it reported the PHASA (Professional Hunting Association of South Africa) AGM and listed the foreign nationals by numbers who hunt in SA. Over two years, the number was always just under 150 in respect of the British, although the Americans, of course, provided the larger number at over 3,000 hunters per year. Even adding in the other African countries which allow hunting, the total number cannot be more than 200 British hunters per year. Of which, how many repatriate sporting trophies? Perhaps 80 persons per year?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...il-end-controversial-Trophy-Hunting-Bill.html

When I was at Mabalabala in July there was a copy of Wild & Jag magazine by the bedside. In it, it reported the PHASA (Professional Hunting Association of South Africa) AGM and listed the foreign nationals by numbers who hunt in SA. Over two years, the number was always just under 150 in respect of the British, although the Americans, of course, provided the larger number at over 3,000 hunters per year. Even adding in the other African countries which allow hunting, the total number cannot be more than 200 British hunters per year. Of which, how many repatriate sporting trophies? Perhaps 80 persons per year?
i fear those number you mention are extremely swayed

those numbers are only hunts recorded in the system
the numbers are way higher than that, way way higher.

Researchers affiliated with the School of Wildlife Conservation at the African Leadership University, Kigali, Rwanda are conducting research on the quadruple bottom line (conservation, community, commerce and culture) impact of potential foreign government bans on trophy hunting imports.

We would really appreciate your inputs in this survey to gather as much local evidence as possible. All responses are voluntary and anonymous. The survey should take a maximum of 10 minutes.

Please feel free to share with your networks. The deadline for completing the survey is COB CAT Wednesday 27th September. Thanks in advance.

Survey link - https://docs.google.com/forms/...6kCI67Q9-A/viewform?usp=pp_url

Researchers affiliated with the School of Wildlife Conservation at the African Leadership University, Kigali, Rwanda are conducting research on the quadruple bottom line (conservation, community, commerce and culture) impact of potential foreign government bans on trophy hunting imports.

We would really appreciate your inputs in this survey to gather as much local evidence as possible. All responses are voluntary and anonymous. The survey should take a maximum of 10 minutes.

Please feel free to share with your networks. The deadline for completing the survey is COB CAT Wednesday 27th September. Thanks in advance.

Survey link - https://docs.google.com/forms/...6kCI67Q9-A/viewform?usp=pp_url
wont open

Here is from one research that I found.

The United States (US) accounts for 71 percent of the import demand, or about 15 times more than the next highest nations, Germany and Spain (both 5 percent).

These top 20 importing countries are killing and importing their trophies mainly from Canada (35 percent), South Africa (23 percent), and Namibia (11 percent). The most common trade of threatened taxa trophies come from Canada to the US, followed by trophy trade from African nations to the US.

end qoute
So all other nations, incuding UK will have less then 5% of global trophy imports.

We’re always one election away, all over the world. Good job in the UK for getting past one more.(y)

This link seems to work - Please do your part

The Lords have talked out the proposed legislation to ban bringing home trophies from hunts. This is great news for the animals of Africa but I suspect the next government will try to resurrect it.
MarkCZ
This is great news....BUT make no mistake, it is not over. They will try again and again and we will have to keep fighting. I've seen some here mention that not that many hunters come out of the UK. While that may or may not be true, it doesn't matter. An attack on them is an attack on all hunters. If we don't fight this, they will keep coming and erode hunting bit by bit.

I am in a WhatsApp group with some of the biologists (many non-hunters) fighting tooth and nail to stop the ban. Much of the technical jargon about the parliament process etc goes over my head...but it is clear that the fight is not over. It is just a reprieve. They feel that there has to be a huge overhaul of how hunting is portrayed and need the big organizations to get on board with this. Here is a quote from the group: "A huge collective effort over the past 12 months has at least sunk this Bill. But more will come..the arguments against them won't change but the political will to resist them might. What is needed is better PR from hunters and orgs. Photos of schools that hunting pays for - not dead lions. Piles of books - not piles of dead coyotes. Wells not wildebeests. Whether people like it or not, this is a PR and optics battle ultimately. Evidence, and i susoect Eduardo's use of misinformation emavrassing politicians, won this round but it won't win ultimately. More stories, better stories..."

I know this tactic is controversial to many hunters because it infringes on their rights. But it makes so much sense. Africahunting.com is the perfect place to post pictures of "trophies" but some photos that are posted on social media for all to see are really distasteful. A respectful shot that explains the benefits of hunting etc etc. ....or like Adam says...Posting the wells or schools built by hunters etc. would go much further.

Just my opinion. Have a great day everyone.

Hi All, here is the latest from the BBC on this,

BBC News - Call for ministers to make sure hunting trophy ban goes ahead

I wouldn't assume this has gone away just yet, the current government have only approximately 14 months before the next election, so virtue signalling on this could be perceived as getting some votes?

Obviously the current cost of living crisis etc is less of a priority.

Sadly the attacks on hunting, fishing, shooting etc just don't stop in the UK, we have the likes of Chris Packham who wish to bring in a form of green communism for us all, getting this legislation through is a priority for them.

This is a lesson to everyone about your respective hunting / shooting organisation to stand firm against the lies that have been peddled in the UK by poorly informed media and ARA groups.

Hopefully this will be delayed by at least 18 months.

There is a copy of a recent Telegraph article on one of the other threads on AH, it is a shame it doesn't get more coverage!

I note the wording of the The Animals (Low-Welfare Activities Abroad) Act includes "animals are kept in captivity or confinement, subjected to cruel and brutal training methods, forced to take selfies or are ridden......" On the face of it, this would include horse riding tours. A PETA wacko would argue that horse "breaking" fits their view of cruel and brutal training methods. Try prosecuting a member of the UK public who went on a horse riding tour or for that matter a donkey ride at a fair.

The next thing would be for one of the elected lunatics to make the same rules apply inside the UK. No more trooping of the colours, racing or other like activities. These people are nuts and will not stop.

Look at the activities they already brag about stoping, even includes sticky rodent traps.

Quo vadis Great Britain?

What is needed is better PR from hunters and orgs. Photos of schools that hunting pays for - not dead lions. Piles of books - not piles of dead coyotes. Wells not wildebeests. Whether people like it or not, this is a PR and optics battle ultimately.
This is what I have been saying for some time now.
Each anti hunting campaign started with photos of dead animals, and smiling hunters.
With photos on internet we are shooting ourselves in a foot.

We now live in a moment when hunting ethics must be revised, with focus on photography in public media and social networks.

Quo vadis Great Britain?

This is what I have been saying for some time now.
Each anti hunting campaign started with photos of dead animals, and smiling hunters.
With photos on internet we are shooting ourselves in a foot.

We now live in a moment when hunting ethics must be revised, with focus on photography in public media and social networks.
It is a shame that it has come to this but I 100 percent agree. The fight will never be over until these issues are addressed (in my opinion). It took me 420 pages to explain the complexities of Wildlife conservation in Africa and convey the "heart of a hunter"...and why "trophies" are much more than "bragging rights". They are memories...and showing deep respect for an animal. But the antis only need one picture.

It is a shame that it has come to this but I 100 percent agree. The fight will never be over until these issues are addressed (in my opinion). It took me 420 pages to explain the complexities of Wildlife conservation in Africa and convey the "heart of a hunter"...and why "trophies" are much more than "bragging rights". They are memories...and showing deep respect for an animal. But the antis only need one picture.

The “antis” will always come up with something.

If it does go forward all I see are loopholes to it.
Can’t bring a gun? No problem just rent one
Can’t bring back the skins and horns? No problem reproduction taxidermy is getting really Good now.
Realistically there is no way the government can stop you from hunting in Africa. They can’t control what other countries do with there wildlife. And they can’t control what you do when you’re in those countries without becoming a dictatorship themselves. All in all yeah It’s bad news but they can’t really stop you.

Hi All,

Well here we are just a few days into a new year and lo and behold,

This is an interesting read, I'm sure it is written by a a member of AH, sadly the stupidity in the UK about pushing this legislation continues.

I suppose I could say there are some serious issues that need to be addressed in the UK, but hey let's waste time on virtue signalling!!!!!

Unfortunately this is a reminder to everyone that your hunting and shooting associations you belong to have to look out for their members, sadly the UK is just getting worse.

Don't let this happen in your own countries!!!

Hopefully it may time out before our election this year but the AR movements are fighting hard for this and are well funded!!!! Especially when facts don't matter!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanielDalz

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.