rbros

Gold supporter
AH member
Reaction score
Member of
Life Member SCI, MDF, NRA Life
Hunted
USA, Canada, Spain, South Africa
Considering ordering a tuffpak for my upcoming trip. I know you cannot put clothes in with guns to RSA anymore but can a guy put a daypack and boots in with the rifles? Just trying to figure out how to pack some stuff around the two rifles in their soft cases

I don’t know who keeps saying you can’t put anything in your tuffpak but guns, we are leaving Monday for our 8th trip to Africa and we always pack our coats and vests in the bottom of ours, then 2 rifles on top in soft
case and have never had a problem. Also have our slings, knife, multi tools Weighs 48lbs

Considering ordering a tuffpak for my upcoming trip. I know you cannot put clothes in with guns to RSA anymore but can a guy put a daypack and boots in with the rifles? Just trying to figure out how to pack some stuff around the two rifles in their soft cases

I can't comment about packing clothes in the TuffPak or not. I've read it's both okay and not okay. I had one but only used it once. It was packed with 3 rifles, so no extra room for anything else.

What I would comment about is having some packing at the bottom of the case. You don't want those muzzles, even with the rifles being in soft cases, banging against that hard bottom A piece of foam like you see in other gun cases cut to fit the shape and size of the interior of the TuffPak should be the trick there.

The biggest problem with stuffing too much stuff in a Tuffpak is having to unpack and pack while the agents are standing over you My first adventure traveling with a Tuffpak I used one of their long duffels that you put the guns in and clothes put it was a pain to get everything back in after the guns were inspected ... Now a jacket or fleece on the bottom to act as a cushion maybe a pair of boots on top with stuff inside the boots and a cleaning rod that's about it

I quit using the TuffPack as I would use clothes etc. to secure the soft cases with the rifles in the pack.

Last time I used it TSA guy removed everything, checked the rifles and then shoved everything in without letting me pack it.

I said no more.

Now, I use TuffPack for hotel trips. Got Golf stickers on it.

I have used TuffPac last two trips no issue.
I cut 1in thick foam places at bottom. Only clothing is maybe a heavy jacket if going in winter. I usually pack 3 rifles so not much room for clothes. Cut another foam for top lid also. Takes a little longer to unpack for TSA. They have always let me pack it back. But I am departing out of Texas too, more gun friendly.

Thanks guys. I’m departing out of Texas also so probably won’t be an issue. I may just use one of my pelican cases and put the rifles inside it with soft cases rather than the cut foam.

I don’t know who keeps saying you can’t put anything in your tuffpak but guns, we are leaving Monday for our 8th trip to Africa and we always pack our coats and vests in the bottom of ours, then 2 rifles on top in soft
case and have never had a problem. Also have our slings, knife, multi tools Weighs 48lbs
It is a rule in JNB now. This started in Europe years ago and is a trend. My TA advised us last year and sure enough one of my clients was stopped by Delta and had to repack. Sorry guys for Africa the value of the super cool Tuffpak has been dimished by this rule.

Thanks guys. I’m departing out of Texas also so probably won’t be an issue. I may just use one of my pelican cases and put the rifles inside it with soft cases rather than the cut foam.
This is what I advise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyrtisChun

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,