Tuffpak 1050 Lock Style

Reg26

AH senior member
Reaction score
After a lot of reviewing opinions and options, I am leaning toward getting a Tuffpak 1050 for taking two scoped rifles on my first safari this year.

The question is what lock option to pick: padlock version or key lock version?

If you have the built-in key lock version have you had any issues traveling with it?

TP-1049KYB-01__92756.jpg
TP-1049TSA-01_xlarge2_1266__62786.jpg

I purchased mine with the padlock style so I could use a regular padlock or a tsa padlock.

Then I switched it out for the built in key lock version that I purchased from Tuffpak....

I only use it for a gun case and I believe the built in key lock is more secure just because the lock cant easily be cut off....

All that said, if I ever start using it for something other than guns, I will switch it back to the other style so I can use a TSA style lock....

I purchased mine with the padlock style so I could use a regular padlock or a tsa padlock.

Then I switched it out for the built in key lock version that I purchased from Tuffpak....

I only use it for a gun case and I believe the built in key lock is more secure just because the lock cant easily be cut off....

All that said, if I ever start using it for something other than guns, I will switch it back to the other style so I can use a TSA style lock....
+1
Mekaniks

I do not think that TSA locks are required or even recommended on cases containg firearms?

Thanks! So did you just buy a separate end cap to do the switch or are you having to switch entire cases when you go between the lock options?

I do not think that TSA locks are required or even recommended on cases containg firearms?
Thats correct. But with the "padlock style" lock you have the option to use either a personal style padlock (for guns) or a TSA lock for other stuff like golf clubs.
The Key lock version is more secure IMO, but will only work with guns....

Thanks! So did you just buy a separate end cap to do the switch or are you having to switch entire cases when you go between the lock options?
I just purchased the lock assembly direct from tuffpak and switched it out myself.

It's held on with a locking ring (nut) and washer on the back side. Easy to switch out with the top off...

I just purchased the lock assembly direct from tuffpak and switched it out myself.

It's held on with a locking ring (nut) and washer on the back side. Easy to switch out with the top off...
Thanks, this has been very helpful.

Any other feedback on using the case? I know there is room to put additional items/padding in the case along with your soft-cased rifles, but it seems like this would complicate the TSA inspection and repacking (not sure they will be as thoughtful putting my items back in the case).

I have the integral lock and have used it since 2016 to South Africa twice and numerous trips up north. No issues at all. After reading some posts here I put closed foam on the bottom and on parts of the interior to add additional padding. I do not know if it was necessary but made me feel better. I have taken two guns and then had a third soft gun case with tripod, cleaning stuff, and other rifle related pieces. I was told once by airline staff that putting clothing in is not permitted. I don't think that is correct but I avoid the hassle.

Padlock is the best way to go in my opinion and it works very well on the Tuffpak 1050. Never had a problem with the padlock version. I carry an extra lock just in case needed.

I also have their security locking system for my truck and have used in hotel rooms. I am a huge Tuffpak fan!

I also use the closed foam in the bottom and top.

Any other feedback on using the case? I know there is room to put additional items/padding in the case along with your soft-cased rifles, but it seems like this would complicate the TSA inspection and repacking (not sure they will be as thoughtful putting my items back in the case).
I usually put some small padding (rain gear) folded up in the bottom for the case and stuff my hunting coat on the side of the gun cases and top of the guns under the lid. They have to remove the coat and put it back after inspection but it works. I have had them look in the case with a flash light but I never had them get down to taking the rain gear out.....
That said, if you are concerned about having "other" items in the case, a couple pieces of foam from a traditional case (pelican foam) cut to the proper size is a good idea......

I purchased the stamped name / address plate for the side of the case from Tuffpak. It came with just some sticky strips to hold it on. I scrapped those off and used some good two part epoxy to glue the plate to the case so it cant get knocked off.....

I have also started using Nomar soft gun cases.... They are very durable, waterproof and take up more space in the case than most regular soft cases....

Attachments

• Waterproof Gun Cases - NOMAR.pdf
    587.3 KB · Views: 21
I just back from Namibia this summer with this one using the padlock version (personal lock, NOT TSA), and not issues. I did put the foam on both ends and also used the stuff sack as well so that everything slides out in one piece. I put the one scoped rifle in a soft case, and inside the stuff sack, with clothing around the soft rifle case.

Actually, you are correct, NO TSA locks for gun cases or ammo. They are not allowed to open these, only baggage.

I have owned two of these 1050's. I have the padlock style and I most definitely use TSA style padlocks on gun cases. TSA definitely opens them and puts their little paperwork inside saying they inspected it without me. Also, I bought the soft case insert and use it to put all kinds of things in the Tuffpak gun case with the guns...anything but ammo. I have clothes or soft items to take up some air space and I also make sure to have the guns in individual soft cases inside the Tuffpak. That little soft bag insert is super handy to keep everything in place but you can pull it out and open the zipper to show them something in the bottom if needed. I put boots in there, knives, whatever is needed to have a full but not overweight gun case.

mine has the built in key lock system... I got the case at an auction (incredible deal... $100 out the door... I dont think anyone else really knew what they were bidding on.. it was still brand new, unused, with the original factory paperwork zip tied to the handle)... so I didnt really have a choice in the matter...

if given the choice I would have likely gone for one that would accept a padlock.. I have all of my pad locks keyed to the same key.. whether its my boat trailer, gate to my fence, pelican cases, etc.. everything uses the same key.. It would be nice if the tuffpak was on the same key... but.. for $100 I really cant complain.... :)

I have used the key lock version on my last two trips over. No issues at all. I did cut foam and put in bottom and a piece for the top after guns are put in. I can put 3 rifles in soft cases with no issue. It will make another trip this June.

I have used the key lock version on my last two trips over. No issues at all. I did cut foam and put in bottom and a piece for the top after guns are put in. I can put 3 rifles in soft cases with no issue. It will make another trip this June.
Mark, I like your idea of a soft cushion to "bookend" the guns. That's smart.

I used large padlocks with combinations. Same combo for all. A 4 digit number that is very common to me, no not SSN. Numbers that are familiar to me ion the machine business. leaving Atlanta I had to prove my rifle was unloaded to the desk clerk. Locked it all again and walk to the TSA room. Told to unlock and stand back without touching anything. They verified the paper from the desk, and I am not sure if they gave me another paper or not. The man started talking about loads, scopes and favorite places to hunt, we both like hogs! Anyway I was informed no one is allowed to open the locked ammo box in your checked bag, or the rifle case. Just last August.

I've had mine for about 20 years. Four trips to Africa & numerous trips to Canada. Hunting in Montana i had an airport agent tell me it wasn't an authorized Gun case.(that didn't work well for him) I had him called his supervisor in Billings and got it straightened out. ( i now have a Tuffpak add taped inside the case) I've replaced a handle and just got off the phone with Tuffpak for a new set of wheels. FREE Under warranty after all this time. I have two other cases but this is my go too case. Tuffpak holds gun and all my Hunting clothing Gun and accessories. If it for having to segregation my ammunition I'd only use the Tuffpak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KingWillie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!