Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
DSC Life Member, International Member PHASA
Hunted
Several of the lower 48, Alaska, South Africa, Ireland, Argentina, Peru
Im in the market for a new(ish?) truck...

To be honest, I have zero knowledge of what is "good" or not so good these days..

I typically buy something 1-2 years old (let someone else take the depreciation) and then drive it until the wheels fall off of it...

I bought my last truck in 2013.. Someone else had bought it new in late 2012 (its a 2013 model) and then turned around and traded it in 4 months later with 6000 miles on it.. Its now at the "wheels fall off of it" stage (215K fairly hard use miles and starting to fall apart)..

My priorities are must be full size, must have 4WD, must be able to tow a reasonable load long distances (I own an 18' center console boat that gets towed up to 300 miles at a time.. a 10' trailer and mid sized UTV that gets towed all over the place, regularly.. a "typical" trip is about 150 miles each direction.. but it will also get pulled from N TX to N ID later this year).. and the truck must be durable (again, my intent is to drive it a minimum of 8, up to 12 years.. until its falling apart.. only then would I buy another truck)..

Fancy options are cool and all.. but honestly arent a huge motivator.. pretty much any base level package on a 2022-2024 truck is going to have tons of stuff that my 2013 doesnt have (I have a CD player in my current truck lol..).. So neat stuff like oversized screens, sunroofs, etc arent really a big deal to me.. thats just something else to pay for that sooner or later will break, that I likely wont use much in the first place..

As long as it will last a long time, stand up to a pretty regular beating, can get me onto and off of our snow covered property in Colorado and our gumbo mud covered deer lease in E TX, can haul up to about 4000lbs without struggling to pull said load over the rocky mountains, etc... the biggest purchase motivator will be price (I really hate the idea of spending $60K - $80K on a freaking pick up truck... but it appears thats about where the market is right now)..

Currently Im looking at the Toyota Tundra, Dodge Ram 1500, and Ford F150.. My current truck is a Chevy Silverado.. and I have to admit.. while it has taken a beating and kept on running, I have pretty much hated the truck since the day I drove it off the lot.. I just dont like the handling, and its really struggled when pulling loads..

I test drove a tundra last night.. will probably go test drive a dodge tonight..

Does anyone have any insight or preferences I should know about? Any particular truck out there I should consider that isnt on "the list"?

Im not a car/truck guy.. I just put a key in the ignition and go.. this really isnt an area of expertise for me in any way..

2020 Ford F-150. Why... it's a basic XLT 4-wheel drive and checked all my boxes and was the cheapest I could find across the brands with similar features. Had a firend drive me 200 miles up to Oklahoma to pick it up. I'm like you in that I usually keep one 10 years or more. I do tend to buy new, pay cash, and drive it till it starts to have significant issues then repeat.

I am on my 3rd ram, the interior, price point, and performance are tough to beat in my opinion, if you test drive one it's over. I tow by 21 foot whaler outrage with no problems, the split tailgate, heads up display, and adaptive cruise control are features that are worth the extra $- and the same build in any other make of car is 25K more

I drive a 3/4 ton chevy diesel because I have to pull a 24 foot stock trailer regularly. If I didn't have to do that I would buy a toyota. Those trucks just last!

The last time I was shopping for a truck the salesman wanted me to take a test drive (chevy diesel). As we stepped out of the dealership he leaned over and said to me in a hushed tone like he was talking about his mistress, "I noticed on your insurance card that your other car is a toyota."
Me: "yes my wife drives a 4 runner and loves it."
him: " I sold toyotas for 14 years. Fantastic Cars!"
Me: "Buddy, if toyota made a 3//4 ton diesel you and I would not be talking."

I drive a 2016 Ram 2500 diesel which I bought new because I tow a 10K lbs. trailer.
No major problems and intended to keep it.
Also diesel does not depreciate a lot and always in demand in the second hand market

I drive a 2020 GMC Denali 6.6 Turbo Diesel. It is a beast. 10 speed Allison transmission. I bought it to tow my RV. I LOVE this truck.
casper.jpg

Toyota tundra gets the worst fuel mileage of them all-especially pulling a trailer! I drive a half ton Chevy and love it. I bought it after two bad experiences with ford half tons in a row. Remote start is a life saver, especially when coming in from the lake or going out early morning hunting camp.
My trail boss has been my favorite truck I’ve ever had. . .but that Denali would be easy to fall in love with!
The built in tow system is easy to use, you will love that feature on the new trucks. Backup camera is cool too
IMG_8428.jpeg
IMG_8543.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a ram 2020 that will do all those things. It has the hemi v8. It likes every gas station. I also have a 2022 Chevy 1500 with the 3 liter diesel. Great fuel mileage and tows my 23 foot CC well.

To be honest, I have zero knowledge of what is "good" or not so good these days..

I typically buy something 1-2 years old (let someone else take the depreciation) and then drive it until the wheels fall off of it...

I bought my last truck in 2013.. Someone else had bought it new in late 2012 (its a 2013 model) and then turned around and traded it in 4 months later with 6000 miles on it.. Its now at the "wheels fall off of it" stage (215K fairly hard use miles and starting to fall apart)..

My priorities are must be full size, must have 4WD, must be able to tow a reasonable load long distances (I own an 18' center console boat that gets towed up to 300 miles at a time.. a 10' trailer and mid sized UTV that gets towed all over the place, regularly.. a "typical" trip is about 150 miles each direction.. but it will also get pulled from N TX to N ID later this year).. and the truck must be durable (again, my intent is to drive it a minimum of 8, up to 12 years.. until its falling apart.. only then would I buy another truck)..

Fancy options are cool and all.. but honestly arent a huge motivator.. pretty much any base level package on a 2022-2024 truck is going to have tons of stuff that my 2013 doesnt have (I have a CD player in my current truck lol..).. So neat stuff like oversized screens, sunroofs, etc arent really a big deal to me.. thats just something else to pay for that sooner or later will break, that I likely wont use much in the first place..

As long as it will last a long time, stand up to a pretty regular beating, can get me onto and off of our snow covered property in Colorado and our gumbo mud covered deer lease in E TX, can haul up to about 4000lbs without struggling to pull said load over the rocky mountains, etc... the biggest purchase motivator will be price (I really hate the idea of spending $60K - $80K on a freaking pick up truck... but it appears thats about where the market is right now)..

Currently Im looking at the Toyota Tundra, Dodge Ram 1500, and Ford F150.. My current truck is a Chevy Silverado.. and I have to admit.. while it has taken a beating and kept on running, I have pretty much hated the truck since the day I drove it off the lot.. I just dont like the handling, and its really struggled when pulling loads..

I test drove a tundra last night.. will probably go test drive a dodge tonight..

Does anyone have any insight or preferences I should know about? Any particular truck out there I should consider that isnt on "the list"?

Im not a car/truck guy.. I just put a key in the ignition and go.. this really isnt an area of expertise for me in any way..

I'll be following your post on this as I am also looking for a new truck.
Preferably a mid size crew cab with 5 speed manual transmission, one for drive gears and one for engaging/ disengaging the 4x4 drive.

Seems we have the same taste and purpose in trucks. Like you I also have a truck on it's last leg and an 18 1/2 feet center console boat that gets towed up and down Tennessee mountains.

Reason for a mid size is for convenience of routine driving in Nashville traffic, negotiating parking garages and firebreak roads.

2022 Ram 1500 Limited eco-diesel. It’s my daily driver and when I use for a trip I get 700 miles on a tank.

2020 Ram 3500 Diesel for pulling my Big Tex 40 ft gooseneck trailer. Serious towing machine.

HH

Toyota Tundra 2016 model...... Cuz 330,000 miles so far. That's coming off of a 2008 Tundra with 363,000 miles when I let it go to my trim carpenter, who has it at 425,000 miles right now. Both on caliche oil field roads every day

Oh, i had to replace alternator on 2016.

The engineering and manufacturing improvements since 2013 make the '22-'24 trucks a significant upgrade. Assuming your '13 is 5.3 powered, you would experience noticeable towing improvements in the modern engines and transmissions.

Basically, they all are pretty good.

While I drive a diesel 2500HD for heavier towing, given your needs, I would go with a 6.2 in a GM. Hard to beat the towing ability to fuel mileage ratio. Dodge, Toyota, and Ford are making good trucks, too.

Be sure it has a towing package. Another factor is your local dealer support.

I am not the guy you want to ask. :p I just want something that starts reliably, in the cold, navigates snow, and trailers my boat to the launch to go to my cabin. At this time that's a 2005 F-150 I got a great deal on a bunch of years ago.

Dillingham is somewhat strange. We are cut off from the road system, so any driving is just local, plus a 20 mile paved road to the village of Aleknagik. And yet, every year when the barges come in, people buy brand spanking new jacked up pick-ups, like they're going to be able to take them anywhere. Me? I see their trucks and think about how that'd get me to Africa another time or two. Revised priorities since making it over in 2021.

A funny about my truck... It came with a couple of really large round fog lights already attached. I find them useful, but they look kinda silly. My hunting buddy, when he first saw my truck, started laughing uncontrollably. When I asked why, he said I had boob lights. Then he reminded me of the fantasy scene Jim Carrey has with Lauren Holly in Dumb and Dumber. Since then, all of my friends and family call them the boob lights. Yes, my fog lights look like this. Honest.

Dave, if you're looking for a very basic 2005 F-150, I'll give it a thumbs up. However, I suspect your aspirations are for something newer. Good luck in your searches sir.

1707323673544.png

I have a new model Toyota Tundra. I bought it because all my previous Toyotas were essentially problem free.
I would NOT buy a new Toyota Tundras, fuel line recall with only temporary fix available now, brake campaign, multiple broken seat side panels and the lists goes on.
I don't know what I would buy if doing it again.

79 series Land Cruisers & Mahindra.

Sorry Kevin no Land Rovers. One of our PHs Land-rover is out for the count now using Liesl’ 2021 Land Cruiser.

The only problems I have with getting a diesel truck:

Lack of knowledge on repairing one if/when something breaks at the worst possible time in the worst possible places.

Costs associated with repairs and regular maintenance.

Waking up on a frosty cold morning in the deep woods and the engine doesn't start because the glow plug wasn't plugged in or is burnt out. Previous experience (circa 1980's) with a girlfriend's car during a Michigan winter.

I drive a 2017 F350 XLT CCSB 4x4 with the 6.2 gas engine. 69,000 miles and it has been a great truck.

My wife drives a 2021 F150 Lariat CCSB 4x4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. 16,000 miles and she loves it.

If I were buying another truck today based on what the OP tows, I would look hard at the F150 with the Tremor package.

Something to think about is: on 1/2 ton - Ranch Hand does not have a Winch Front Bumper, you have to move up to a 3/4 ton or higher.

My Father has a 2016 Ram 1500, smooth ride, Hemi engine to pull with, but recall after recall. I have a 1955 Ford F100, ruff riding, will pull a boat easy, but Insurance Carrier forbids pulling anything. As a plus it's EMP proof.

Last edited:

I hate to recommend anything right now because the prices are absolutely astronomical. But here goes.

What I drive, and have driven 3x in a row, are Dodge Ram 1500s. I had one hemi, and two ecodiesels. The best of the bunch was the middle-top tier trim package Laramie model. Nice leather, but it did not have the air suspension that the Laramie Longhorn and Limited have. The air suspension sucks sucks sucks and you will pay $4000 at a crack to replace/repair it. Ecodiesels are now discontinued, but the 2023 models still are around with pretty sizable discounts and rebates. I think you can find one new for the same price as a 2 year old Ram at present. They worked the bugs out of the ecodiesel and you will get 27mpg.

What I have been looking at closely is the Toyota Tacoma because it seems the super majority of guides have them. They are bulletproof and they don't get stuck. This year they just relaunched them with 4-cylinder engines and gigantic pricepoints equal to the Ram. A 1-2 year old Tacoma with the six cylinder is an excellent truck that is easy to repair and has limitless upgrade options if you want to use it offroad or as a hunting rig too.

Fords. As much as I was a Ford guy growing up, the Ford trucks have some annoying problems. First it was engine issues in their diesels from 10-15 years ago, then it was the stupid aluminum hood and tailgate they used to lighten the weight. The aluminum had a positive charge and absorbed corrosives during manufacturing. They aluminum corrosion causes paint peeling on late model Fords that is annoying. They won't cover it as a factory defect, and a lot of nice Fords look like crap thanks to the paint issue over the aluminum. The six cylinder with the turbo has NO balls and is as bad on MPG is it is a struggler getting up a hill.

Chevy. I know nothing about Chevy. Never owned one. The cool kids seem to prefer GMC which do look nicer and have better trim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColetteJ48

Latest profile posts

BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.