Franco

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC, SCI
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia
I have decided to build a trophy room and am in the basic layout/size calculation phase. Are there some basic numbers to calculate space requirements for typical mounts.

Here's a list of what I have or have coming:
Elephant - shoulder mount
Rhino - 1/2 body mount
Lion - full body
Leopard - full body
Cape Buffalo - shoulder mount - we donated my 4 head mount to DSC
Hyena - full body
Sable - shoulder
Kudu - shoulder
Lesser Kudo - shoulder
Gemsbok - shoulder
Eland - shoulder
Bison - shoulder
Roan - shoulder
Waterbuck X 2 - shoulder
Bush buck - full body
Alligator - full body
Crocodile - full body

Euro mounts/skulls - elephant, rhino, hippo, warthog, sable, kudu, wildebeest, hartebeest, impalla, bison

I was planning a 40' by 60' room - might need to be bigger.

I have decided to build a trophy room and am in the basic layout/size calculation phase. Are there some basic numbers to calculate space requirements for typical mounts.

Rhino - 1/2 body mount
Lion - full body
Leopard - full body
Hyena - full body
Sable - shoulder
Kudu - shoulder
Lesser Kudo - shoulder
Gemsbok - shoulder
Eland - shoulder
Bison - shoulder
Roan - shoulder
Waterbuck X 2 - shoulder
Bush buck - full body
Alligator - full body
Crocodile - full body

Euro mounts/skulls - elephant, rhino, hippo, warthog, sable, kudu, wildebeest, hartebeest, impalla, bison

I like the size and recommend 20 ft high walls.

HH

The size sounds great! (The 4 buffalo mount looks good)

I suspect the answer is something like 'to each his own' as available space and other resources are the first consideration. Lots of photos online for ideas. One observation I would share is that almost every trophy room I know of wound up being added on to in a few years. Might want allow for that in the design.

Be sure and post pictures!

Height will be important and also the least expensive space to add. Build the biggest one you have space and money for. I have never heard anyone say “I built my trophy room too big”. Also include space for a wet bar and bathroom. Good luck and keep us posted.

Height will be important and also the least expensive space to add. Build the biggest one you have space and money for. I have never heard anyone say “I built my trophy room too big”. Also include space for a wet bar and bathroom. Good luck and keep us posted.
Wet bar and walk in humidor are in the plans. Initial drawing has the 40' center section with 20' wings on each side. Basically a big barn.

Rhino - 1/2 body mount
Lion - full body
Leopard - full body
Hyena - full body
Sable - shoulder
Kudu - shoulder
Lesser Kudo - shoulder
Gemsbok - shoulder
Eland - shoulder
Bison - shoulder
Roan - shoulder
Waterbuck X 2 - shoulder
Bush buck - full body
Alligator - full body
Crocodile - full body

First may I say congratulations on obtaining both the big 5 and dangerous 7 both incredible accomplishments few of us obtain!!!! Truly well done!!!
Second, while I cannot recommend the space you will need I can tell you for my new trophy room the key is to use 1 to 1 1/2 inch plywood under your drywall. This will give you the greatest flexibility to hang your mounts versus having to find a stud

First may I say congratulations on obtaining both the big 5 and dangerous 7 both incredible accomplishments few of us obtain!!!! Truly well done!!!
Second, while I cannot recommend the space you will need I can tell you for my new trophy room the key is to use 1 to 1 1/2 inch plywood under your drywall. This will give you the greatest flexibility to hang your mounts versus having to find a stud
I must clarify - I am missing the leopard. I have the rest, the leopard is the last on my list - I just need to plan a spot for it to occupy.

I had a leopard hunt scheduled for this year but had to cancel because of shoulder surgery. Looking ahead to 2025 and 2026, whatever it takes - I will complete the Big 5.

Rare Breed, I will personally notify you when I finally get a leopard.

I must clarify - I am missing the leopard. I have the rest, the leopard is the last on my list - I just need to plan a spot for it to occupy.

I had a leopard hunt scheduled for this year but had to cancel because of shoulder surgery. Looking ahead to 2025 and 2026, whatever it takes - I will complete the Big 5.

Rare Breed, I will personally notify you when I finally get a leopard.
Please do! I am hoping to add both Rhino and Elephant this April to my big 5 quest. I already have my leopard hunt scheduled for 2025. It is called hunting which is why this will be my second elephant hunt given unsuccessful in 2023. I have read of so many of our AH members have taken several hunts to get their leopard. It seems this may be the hardest of the big 5 to obtain at least over bait which will be my choice for hunting him

Please do! I am hoping to add both Rhino and Elephant this April to my big 5 quest. I already have my leopard hunt scheduled for 2025. It is called hunting which is why this will be my second elephant hunt given unsuccessful in 2023. I have read of so many of our AH members have taken several hunts to get their leopard. It seems this may be the hardest of the big 5 to obtain at least over bait which will be my choice for hunting him
Best of luck on the rhino and elephant. I have been lucky with both of those. The rhino was 3 days of tracking, my elephants have come from long days of tracking to practically being run over.

For me, the leopard has certainly proven difficult and elusive. Three days into my very first safari, driving through thick brush, standing in the back of the shooting truck with the PH, a huge leopard sprang out of a bush on our right - soared over the hood - and landed in the brush to our left.

All I could do was stand there with my mouth open and say, "Holy shit".

The PH said that was the biggest leopard he had ever seen and asked if I had a shot. The leopard was laying flat against the ground, concealed behind heavy brush and thick branches.

I searched desperately through the scope for an opportunity but none presented itself. I could see spots and a mouth full of fangs. The PH was whispering in my ear, "If you wound him - he will be in the car with us".

I lacked the skill, experience, and confidence to attempt a shot in those conditions. I told the PH I didn't have a shot and he had the driver back us away from the leopard. I truly believe that was the best decision.

Since that encounter, I've made three more attempts - all unsuccessful.

I think I may try a hunt with hounds instead of bait - all I know is, I'm not quitting until I get one.

Where are you going for leopard and elephant?

Not a comment on size, but in materials. I am in the process of designing my house and trophy room and will be putting 3/4" plywood on all the walls of the trophy room. This will allow you to place a mount anywhere, not just a stud.
Yes, the plan is for all walls to be sheeted with 3/4 ply, raised panel wainscoting, with sheetrock on the upper walls and ceiling.

Agree with the plywood behind the sheet rock and the 20 foot ceilings. That what I have and am very pleased with the results. Looking forward to seeing yours when it is done.

When I built my trophy room in 2022 I had planned to put plywood under the sheet rock as well and discussed with my builder. Surprisingly for me with the price of plywood it was actually less expensive to use 2x10’s as blocking between the 2x6 studs from about five feet above floor height to the 10’ ceiling along the walls and then we used OSB above that height on the gabled wall ends with the cathedral ceiling. You usually have quite a few shorter pieces of 2x’s left from some of the framing anyway so it was a good way to use them without having to buy a lot of plywood. I can hang a mount anywhere without looking for a stud or using some type of toggle bolt or wall anchor

Sounds like a good plan, the only thing is when you get to the 20’ walls, if you start putting even exceptional animals up towards the top they can be over looked , I have a friend with a room about that size and the animals towards the top tend to get somewhat lost.

Best of luck on the rhino and elephant. I have been lucky with both of those. The rhino was 3 days of tracking, my elephants have come from long days of tracking to practically being run over.

For me, the leopard has certainly proven difficult and elusive. Three days into my very first safari, driving through thick brush, standing in the back of the shooting truck with the PH, a huge leopard sprang out of a bush on our right - soared over the hood - and landed in the brush to our left.

All I could do was stand there with my mouth open and say, "Holy shit".

The PH said that was the biggest leopard he had ever seen and asked if I had a shot. The leopard was laying flat against the ground, concealed behind heavy brush and thick branches.

I searched desperately through the scope for an opportunity but none presented itself. I could see spots and a mouth full of fangs. The PH was whispering in my ear, "If you wound him - he will be in the car with us".

I lacked the skill, experience, and confidence to attempt a shot in those conditions. I told the PH I didn't have a shot and he had the driver back us away from the leopard. I truly believe that was the best decision.

Since that encounter, I've made three more attempts - all unsuccessful.

I think I may try a hunt with hounds instead of bait - all I know is, I'm not quitting until I get one.

Where are you going for leopard and elephant?
leopard Moz. elephant Zim

Congratulations on your accomplishments and enjoy the design, planning and building. I have nothing in quantity of trophies that you have. But, what I always thought would be nice if I had a trophy room would be to put a sitting area on a second floor opposite the end with the elephant and other large trophies. Then along each side on that second floor have a 'cat walk' maybe 6 - 8 feet wide that would stop 10 - 15 feet short of the wall with the elephant. Along the cat walk memorabilia, books, prints/paintings, or even some of the trophies could be placed. And when you are standing on the end of it you get a different perspective of the trophies by being up higher. Underneath each catwalk could be sections for different categories like spiral horned, etc. or the wet bar, bath room and humidor.

Please post photos as you build it so we can join you on the journey and enjoy it with you.

Agree with the plywood behind the sheet rock and the 20 foot ceilings. That what I have and am very pleased with the results. Looking forward to seeing yours when it is done.
Are your ceilings 20' at the plate or ridge? I am planning 15' at the plates and about 20' at the ridge/peak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.