Tipping Guide

lol!!! They are the best. They have three hearing levels, no shrill noise and cut off muzzle blast instantly. My PH had lost most of his hearing so he was glad to get these
You’re a good man for buying him those hearing aids! I’m sure he greatly appreciated it.

I browsed through this forum and didn't see much if any about observers tipping staff.

Here are our trip details and my initial thoughts on tips:

2 hunters and 2 observers headed to RSA for a 7 day plains game hunt.

Tracker = $50 per hunter, $100 total
Driver = $50 per hunter, $100 total
Skinner = $50 per hunter, $100 total
Cook = $25 per person, $100 total
Server = $25 per person, $100 total
Maid = $25 per person, $100 total
Laundry = $25 per person, $100 total

Now the question is the PH! $150 per day per hunter would be a total of $2100. Or do we take the base cost of the trip $3000 plus fees for additional game harvested estimated at $7000, for a total of $10,000...and then take a % of that?

I browsed through this forum and didn't see much if any about observers tipping staff.

Now the question is the PH! $150 per day per hunter would be a total of $2100. Or do we take the base cost of the trip $3000 plus fees for additional game harvested estimated at $7000, for a total of $10,000...and then take a % of that?
On a hunt estimated at $10,000 I’d probably keep the total tips inside 15% or $1500 between PH and staff unless you think more is earned. $100 per day per hunter to PH on a PG hunt is good. Usually the tracker and chef get tipped more than the maid as well.

On a hunt estimated at $10,000 I’d probably keep the total tips inside 15% or $1500 between PH and staff unless you think more is earned. $100 per day per hunter to PH on a PG hunt is good. Usually the tracker and chef get tipped more than the maid as well.
I increased the cook, maid, laundry tip increased because of the observers. That's where I'm not sure of.

I would say you are a little low on your tracker. Depending on how hard he works for you. I always tip my tracker a minimum of 200 for a 7 Day hunt. If I happen to make a bad shot...hasn't happened yet knock on wood....I will give him more. I also brought him several different hunting clothing items this year on top of his tip.

I gave the cook $150 for the stay.

I provided $50 per maid...there was three of them for the stay

$50 per laundry lady.....there was three of them for the stay

Skinners I provided $75 each. There was three of them as well.

As far as my PH....he busted his butt for me and I gave him 150 per day, but also brought him a handheld electric chainsaw with extra blades, scope covers for his RMR, BOG Pod shooting sticks, and a knife.

My buddy also hunted with me this year and based his tips off mine. There is no wrong answer when it comes to tips. Just tip what you see fit and what you think the people earn.

I've said it on this thread before and I'm going to say it again, sorting out the tips at the end of a wonderful hunt can sure take the shine off of a great experience.

That's why I'm trying to sort it out before the hunt. I'll have a plan for average service and can adjust quickly on the fly if needed.
I think who to tip and what will seem much more natural once you start hunting. You’ll have a lot of interaction with your tracker maybe several others but barely any with others like the maids.

That's why I'm trying to sort it out before the hunt. I'll have a plan for average service and can adjust quickly on the fly if needed.
Way back around the beginning of this thread there is some good information as to what to tip and can pretty much be a baseline.

Then you can add to what you planned once the hunt is done.

My last outfitter had a pretty standard list for what to tip on his web site. At the end of my hunt I gave both my PH and tracker 50% more above what was suggested

I just got back from a 12 day plains game hunt. Reason for the 12 days is I hunted two locations and 1 day was spent driving between those locations. For 7 animals shot and the length of the stay, I ended up tipping a total of $2300. My PH was excellent and got a healthy tip for his efforts.

If you need something more clear it’s as simple as sending an outfitter an email and asking what are standard tips for staff and generally ignoring the 66 pages. If tipping keeps someone from considering Africa they were looking for an excuse to not go.
If I was determined to hunt Africa tipping would not stop me. As someone else said, sorting out the tipping at the end can take the shine off a great hunt.

My last cruise tipping was included. That was perfect for me. However next year they went back to tipping likely because some of the staff felt shorted on distribution and there were complaints.
My guess, those that earned better only got it from the people they served.

I read a lot of information about cruise tipping at that time and acquired some very helpful information. For instance, tour bus people that point out stuff and answer our questions are worthy of tipping. It was something I never realized until I read it. That helped me enjoy the experience and people justly received their due. I'm the type that just needs to be able plan in advance so I am ready.

If I was determined to hunt Africa tipping would not stop me. As someone else said, sorting out the tipping at the end can take the shine off a great hunt.

My last cruise tipping was included. That was perfect for me. However next year they went back to tipping likely because some of the staff felt shorted on distribution and there were complaints.
My guess, those that earned better only got it from the people they served.

I read a lot of information about cruise tipping at that time and acquired some very helpful information. For instance, tour bus people that point out stuff and answer our questions are worthy of tipping. It was something I never realized until I read it. That helped me enjoy the experience and people justly received their due. I'm the type that just needs to be able plan in advance so I am ready.
our last cruise we were told about the mandatory tipping and was also told the ships captain also got part of the tips

If tipping is listed as mandatory, it is not a tip, but part of the base price. Tips are for service above & beyond the basic service owed to the customer.

I am planning a hunt in South Africa.
I always try to find new or special things for tipping. I don't like just giving money, even if thats the most appreciated.
I am thinking of handing out Krugerrands.
Gold for PH and silver for trackers, skinners etc.
Will this be well received or will it be problematic to exchange them for money?

Cash money is ALWAYS the best tip. It will buy any of the "stuff" you think would be good items to give, but more importantly will pay for the things they need.
Gifts should only be given as extras, or if clearly communicated that person receiving wants the item in lieu of money.

Are tips best made in US greenbacks or in RSA currency? Does it differ on whether it is the PH vs. the rest of the staff?

Are tips best made in US greenbacks or in RSA currency? Does it differ on whether it is the PH vs. the rest of the staff?
For an American, tips to PH are always in USD. For staff it really depends on the outfitter. It would be best to ask how they prefer tipping for staff. Most outfitters will exchange USD to local currency for them and some staff will have access to exchange it themselves. If you want to give a small tip to farm hand for a farm you only hunt on one day, better to have some local currency for that.

From what I've been told, make sure currency is 2011 and newer. There was alot of counterfeit of the older currency, so they only take the new colorful bills.
Yep ran into this month on my first trip. Fortunately only 3 of my bills were the old hundreds and my PH was cool with it in his tip because he comes to the US every winter. For the main hunt only excepted newer bills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThereseDea

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,