Time to go long on CRF rifles?

CoElkHunter: I also have a Ruger CRF in .25-06 (LH) and while it is accurate —- I would’ve preferred a PF for that caliber and to maybe save some weight. I now always take my Browning ABolt .270 when hunting out West or use a custom .30-06 built on an Sako action - both are PF and short rotation bolts, very fast and smooth.…the Browning ABolt is also nice and light - much appreciated after a few miles ! For my .375 H&H, it’s CRF and I think that was the way to go.
My second rifle was a Ruger M77 Varmint heavy barrel (mark 1?) which I bought in 1977-78 in .220 Swift. Learning now from those here on AH, I guess it was a quasi CRF? I didn't know the difference between CRF and PF. I only knew I wanted a rifle in the Swift cartridge and Ruger was the only game in town for a factory rifle at that time. Yes, the Browning 60 degree bolt throw is WONDERFUL!

I definitely do not care for the Star Trek bolt knob! Ugh! Leave the space age acutrements to push feed crowd wearing skinny pants and pointy shoes. Why would they even want a claw extractor? Those don't work with twisty carved bolts. The marketing angle totally escapes me.
Well, it's the man bun crowd that rifle manufacturers are currently catering to. You and I are older as many others here on AH are. WE remember when there were NO or VERY FEW synthetic stocked rifles available even if someone wanted one. The rifle manufacturers and their partnered proprietary ammunition manufacturers are focused on the younger firearm buyers because that's where their profits are coming from. CRF actions aren't even in the equation. 99.9 percent of the Worldwide current rifle buyers will NEVER hunt DG, so why bother making CRF rifles? Sad, but true.

To each his own I guess… I won’t argue they are ugly & there is lots of work to get them smooth…but most anything worth doing takes work ”Are you kidding me??? 1600 dollars for a butt ugly action and even uglier bolt handle?? That is just downright disgusting.”
IMG_0435.jpeg

I don’t think so, but I could amend your question to give you a different answer.

Is there going to be a shortage on CRF dangerous game MAGNUM actions? Yes. I’d go long. You’re quoting some very common, semi-mass produced options above. If I was collecting or accumulating investments in that category, I would buy up every CZ550 magnum in 375HH, 416R, and 458 Lott I could find new in box. If I’m right, the $1400-$1800 guns will be worth $3000+ in the next couple years. If I’m wrong, the actions will still be worth $1400-$1800 each in the next couple of years and the stocks will be worth another $350+. I don’t see a downside.

Disclaimer: mass produced guns are not my wheelhouse, but Krish is an expert on CZ550 factory rifles and their customized variants. He seems to have done very well selling off his spares.
Good advice! I went long about 5 years ago while I was still working:) I am a fan of Mauser square bridges and integral rifle barrels.
Actions are setup for (top to bottom): 505 Gibbs, 458 Winmag, 416 Rigby, 375 HH, 404 Jeffery, 9.3x62 and 7mm-08.
I should note that since then, i was lucky to get an old school 416 Rigby and a 338 winmag g33/40 square bridges. Have the integral barrel for the Rigby and will get the 338 from Matrix Gunsmithing.
Now, to get them all gunsmith'd:)

BTW, Mr rookhawk, I have a new in box cz550 magnum action for sale in the classifieds

barrel and actions.jpg

Good advice! I went long about 5 years ago while I was still working:) I am a fan of Mauser square bridges and integral rifle barrels.
Actions are setup for (top to bottom): 505 Gibbs, 458 Winmag, 416 Rigby, 375 HH, 404 Jeffery, 9.3x62 and 7mm-08.
I should note that since then, i was lucky to get an old school 416 Rigby and a 338 winmag g33/40 square bridges. Have the integral barrel for the Rigby and will get the 338 from Matrix Gunsmithing.
Now, to get them all gunsmith'd:)

BTW, Mr rookhawk, I have a new in box cz550 magnum action for sale in the classifieds

View attachment 597150
What make are those actions? beautiful metal work with those quarter ribs.

I am a left hand shooter and I like classic CRF rifles. This is a problem so I have been buying them when I need / find them. I have had quite a few built by custom rifle makers and my hunting rifles are built on Granite Mountain (1), Winchester Model 70 (3), Dakota 76 (1) and Ruger M77 Mrk.II and No.1 actions. All are CRF except the Ruger No.1.

My first custom rifle was built in the early 1970's on a LH Mathieu action - a push feed action. This rifle has performed very well for a long time, so no complaints these.

Let me add to the panic. My search for CRF took me two years to find.

Things are even worse then what you have described. After all being said, now try to find CRF rifle on magnum length action. The last of this kind was CZ550, now extinct.

Keep an eye on your market, and when you find something of interest, buy.

That being said:
Quality push feeds are not bad at all, although in most cases they also lack magnum length action.
There are high end push feeds, and budget push feeds.
Let me add to the panic as well. I’ve been searching for two years and haven’t found my left hand for less that $2k US. I e been searching for that 30.06 or 270 Classic. They command a premium now, especially in SS.

@Est.1970, agreed. Those left handed, CRF rifles are hard to find but it’s doable just have to consistently look and buy as soon as you find one that you like.

Maybe this has been answered? But what is actually the difference in cost not price to mass build (say Winchester) CRF vs push feed. I get all the markups that roll through to retail but does it really cost that much more?

Maybe this has been answered? But what is actually the difference in cost not price to mass build (say Winchester) CRF vs push feed. I get all the markups that roll through to retail but does it really cost that much more?
Obviously, yes it costs more. Look at the bolt. Not only does it require more machining to carry a free floating much larger mass extractor (also = more machining = more $$$), but the receiver also requires significantly more machining for the trough to carry/guide that extractor.

Let me add to the panic as well. I’ve been searching for two years and haven’t found my left hand for less that $2k US. I e been searching for that 30.06 or 270 Classic. They command a premium now, especially in SS.
EST.1970: I have a Ruger MII .25-06 in Left Hand, it is very accurate and I use 115 or 117gr bullets and get sub inch MOA….but I would prefer a push feed for calibers below .375. I only used this rifle on one Western hunt, bought it in 2005 and mainly because it was Left Handed and had nice walnut stock. Having a CRF action was a priority for my .375 H&H but not on the lower calibers. Likely gonna sell this .25-06 and it really is never used anymore

Didn't Remington once sell a rebranded Zastava rifle (can't remember the model) in both 375 and 458 Win.? And were they CRF? I probably should have picked one up in 458 WM, new, and discounted from $1000 down to $795 before they stopped selling them. It was at the same time and in the same store where I got blue box CCI LR primers for $15 a box, so apparently I was not firing on all cylinders at the time....
2006-2008 I believe.they didn’t make it for long.

I still say it can’t be a significant add on cost wise. I mean a new M70 doesn’t break the bank. It it would require new tooling which is a significant investment. Obviously the market doesn’t care enough about CRF for the bean counters to give the green light.

I still say it can’t be a significant add on cost wise. I mean a new M70 doesn’t break the bank. It it would require new tooling which is a significant investment. Obviously the market doesn’t care enough about CRF for the bean counters to give the green light.
Cuts into their profit margins.

Cuts into their profit margins.
Margins could stay the same if the public was willing to pay more for what they determine a “better” rifle. Right now “better” is defined as carbon fibre, rails, bipods, etc so that’s where the production money is invested.

Margins could stay the same if the public was willing to pay more for what they determine a “better” rifle. Right now “better” is defined as carbon fibre, rails, bipods, etc so that’s where the production money is invested.
The public masses don't want to pay more for a CRF. Most don't know the difference, and an extremely small percentage of those that do know will never be in a situation where it matters. As such they don't care. Tooling costs, R&D, ect are amortized across the total number of units a manufacturer projects they'll make in a specific period of time. In the instance of a CRF they need to amortize this in while accounting for less demand, and a higher price so they're spreading those costs out across less guns.

I've read that PF Actions are more accurate than CRF actions. Not sure how one would test or prove this but if that true it also contributes to why manufacturers are producing PF over CRF when the consumer is hooked on Long Range and Accuracy.

The NRA Show is coming up, all the big manufacturers will be in attendance. Might want to go speak with a few of them and get their feedback on the CRF vs PF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve722

Latest profile posts

Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair