Rafiki

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Tanzania
I have somehow become fixated on handloading Peregrine bullets for my next trip to Africa, I really can't explain why because I simply do not know. Peregrines are not readily available in the US but I have managed to get a few in .375 and .511 (they were supposed to be .510). As yet I've only shot a few of the .511's and in my limited testing they appear to be quite accurate in my rifle despite being slightly over caliber.

My initial order was for 300gr, 375cal VRG2 & VRG3, and 575gr, .510cal VRG2. Even though I have not come close to the testing that I need to do I have since ordered more .375 VRG2's and 550gr .510cal VRG2 & VRG3 largely because the lead-time is many months; I went for a lighter .510's to get a bit more case capacity.

I've combed this forum and a few other sources for information on Peregrine bullets and have found very little. It is my hope that there are some AH members that have real-world field and/or hand-loading experience with Peregrine's, especially for Cape Buffalo.

I'll give this a go....

I have been using Peregrine bullets for the past few years, and I am quite happy with their performance. I found that my rifles achieve very decent groups without hassling too much.

I have personally taken the following DG species using 300gr VRG-3'S in my 375H&H.
- Buffalo
- Hippo
- Elephant
- Lion
I have taken an array of PG with the same caliber and load, from Giraffe, all the way down to Tiny-10.

I have recently started using them in my Lott, with the exact same positive results.
I am in the process of developing a load for 450-400NE, and I will be able to give some feedback in a few weeks time.

The one thing that is to be taken into account: These bullets need a little speed in order to perform, especially the expanders.
And with speed, comes meat bruising.... but I am willing to sacrifce a pound of two of bruised meat to gain performance.

I can honestly say that in my opinion, weight retention has been very good.
Penetration is excellent, with very little to no deviation in direction, even after encountering big bone.

Yes, it is easy for me to obtain these bullets being South African, and it will take quite a bit of convincing for me to change to another brand.

Bottom line: I am a Peregrine fan.

Screenshot_20240205_203701_edit_217188972726233.jpg

300gr VRG-3'S that I recovered from Buffalo.

I can honestly say that in my opinion, weight retention has been very good.
Penetration is excellent, with very little to no deviation in direction, even after encountering big bone.

300gr VRG-3'S that I recovered from Buffalo
Thanks for the good info, exactly what I was looking for especially your comment about surviving bone impact and running true. I was wondering about that because of the supposed relative softness of Peregrine's relative to other bullets; one of my concerns.

Pretty hard not to notice the plungers sticking out of the bullet images. I'm guessing that you found those somewhere in the critter and stuck it in there for the picture; assume they completely separated from the bullet.

Do you recall the bullet velocity from your .375? What powder you used? Getting powder is really sketchy these days but the are a few that I can easily get, not Reloader-xx however.

You are correct regarding the plungers, I had to dig around quite a bit to find them. They are not designed to remain part of the main projectile.

I use locally produced Somchem S335, and obtain 2440fps. It produces tight groups, so I opted for the accuracy over higher velocity.

Screenshot_20240205_204415.jpg

You are correct regarding the plungers, I had to dig around quite a bit to find them. They are not designed to remain part of the main projectile.

I use locally produced Somchem S335, and obtain 2440fps. It produces tight groups, so I opted for the accuracy over higher velocity.

View attachment 585434
You couldn't ask for a more perfect cloverleaf than that! Very nice. I seriously doubt that I could get Somchem here, the shelves are pretty much empty for most powders appropriate for the 375 H&H. Peregrine does publish a load for the 300gr using IMR3031 that I will be trying since I have a can of that and could probably get it if it works out. A friend has also been having good luck with Ramshot and Big Game which I can get last I looked. Both of these options produce the velocities you mentioned whether the produce that kind of accuracy is a different question.

Boela, have you tried VRG-2 on a DG critter? I haven't shot anything but paper (and very little of that) with my 375 H&H since it was being built all of last year so buffalo with a medium caliber is new to me. My limited experience with my .500 (2 buff) impressed with just how tough they can be. Would you suggest VRG-2 for follow-up should the poop hit the fan? Maybe it's not necessary if the VRG-3 is as good as they say it is.

My "plan" is to hunt one with the 375 and another with the 500, both with Peregrine's. It's a plan, not necessarily a great plan.

I use 510 gr vrg in my lott. I used Vv 135 and 133 in the lott as well as I would suggest contacting the manufacturer. I talked to them, they have a great deal of reloading info and are very helpful. The copper solid has driving bands and seems to need relatively little powder to achieve good velocities. I have good acuracy and a non maximum load at about 2230 fps. I did get more velocity but would rather ease up on my shoulder and be able to shoot more acurately.

I haven't used them on Dangerous game, but love Peregrine bullets and it's all I'll load for most of my hunting rounds. Unfortunately they are extremely hard to get in the US now. I looked into ordering directly from them (Did it in the past when they first really got going and they were a pleasure to deal with) but the shipping cost more than the bullets so I didn't go through with it. If you don't mind me asking, are you ordering directly from them and if so how is the shipping now? I too found the brass plunger/tip on the first animal I shot with a plainsmaster bullet and had similar performance as shown above, although with less expansion do to light loads in a .375 H&H for deer, lol. Entered the center of the buck's neck and stopped under the skin beside the tail!
I would love to get some of their new lever gun bullets (the reason I found out about the crazy shipping) to load for the .45-70!

If you don't mind me asking, are you ordering directly from them and if so how is the shipping now?
The one and only order that I placed & received was through David Stark at Discreet Ballistics (https://discreetballistics.com/). I too unsuccessfully tried the direct order route. I had a few very pleasant conversations with some people at Peregrine but as you found out shipping cost was an issue. I don't really understand why that would be with FedEx or DHL.

David has been very helpful for my needs although what I'm interested in is not what he typically match his interests; he's business is focused on subsonic. He added my order to his scheduled order and it worked out fine although it did take 5-months.

I was talking to David just the other day and he indicated that he and Peregrine are working on a method to improve the lead-time I placed another order so I hope that whatever they are doing in that regard works.

The one and only order that I placed & received was through David Stark at Discreet Ballistics (https://discreetballistics.com/). I too unsuccessfully tried the direct order route. I had a few very pleasant conversations with some people at Peregrine but as you found out shipping cost was an issue. I don't really understand why that would be with FedEx or DHL.

David has been very helpful for my needs although what I'm interested in is not what he typically match his interests; he's business is focused on subsonic. He added my order to his scheduled order and it worked out fine although it did take 5-months.

I was talking to David just the other day and he indicated that he and Peregrine are working on a method to improve the lead-time I placed another order so I hope that whatever they are doing in that regard works.

Thanks for the info! I'll have to talk with him. I hope they do get it worked out, would be great. I think it's something about coming from the African continent that is the issue. I checked the shipping on my end as well to prepay and send them the label and it was no better.

Just spoke with David. He's great to talk with, and had a lot of good info. It does seem that Peregrine bullets will soon be readily available in the US again under the Hotline Monolithics brand name. Basically he said if we need something to let them know and they can have Peregrine make it. Anything Peregrine has produced they can put an order in for. Currently those custom orders will be filled quarterly, but they are working towards having a regular stock of standard bullets. This is all good news for those of us that know these are the best copper bullets on the market!

I was reading through this about to mention discreet ballistics. I'm glad others know too, this will help keep them coming. I have some for my 30/30 and 30-06. I do believe I will be working up a load for my 404 Jeffery as well. I really like their bullets.

Boela, have you tried VRG-2 on a DG critter? I haven't shot anything but paper (and very little of that) with my 375 H&H since it was being built all of last year so buffalo with a medium caliber is new to me. My limited experience with my .500 (2 buff) impressed with just how tough they can be. Would you suggest VRG-2 for follow-up should the poop hit the fan? Maybe it's not necessary if the VRG-3 is as good as they say it is.

My "plan" is to hunt one with the 375 and another with the 500, both with Peregrine's. It's a plan, not necessarily a great plan.
I have used the VRG-2's on DG but have unfortunately not recovered any of them. (Time being the biggest constraint on the animals that I used them on where the bullet did not exit). The few times where I had enough time to look for the bullet, I managed to recover the expanders, but had passthroughs on the solids.

The solids that I have recovered at the range shows very little to no deformation.

I will suggest that you load your rifle in the traditional way - a expander for the first shot and solids for follow-ups. I have noted that there is a mind shift taking place where more and more hunters rely on the expanding bullets only. I have not yet been brave enough to do that...

*It is to be taken into account that on every DG hunt that I have been on using my 375H&H, I had at very proficient back-up with me.

*It is to be taken into account that on every DG hunt that I have been on using my 375H&H, I had at very proficient back-up with me.
I found this additional comment Interesting since having back-up is the usual case when hunting DG. My personal (but limited) experience is with heavy caliber and I have to say I was pretty impressed with what buffalo can absorb. Bullet choice aside your comment makes me wonder about the wisdom, or lack there of, of using a 375 H&H for this critter.

Boela, just to be clear I'm talking about my wisdom not yours as it relates to hunting buffalo with my 375 H&H as I like to get relatively close and use open sights. Even with my .500 it got pretty exciting and I have no experience with a medium caliber. Based on that there's probably a higher likelihood that it may get pretty interesting very fast. This is also what's driving my interest in Peregrine's.

Hi Rafiki, how you doing?

I appreciate this thread is a couple of weeks old, but like Boela and Albert GRANT we to use Peregrine's, in 6.5mm, 30 cal, 8mm and 375. We have found them to be very good, yes not cheap but they do a very good job.

I used a 165 VLR4 on my Zebra, approx 130m away, the Zebra moved around 20m in a circle and died from one shot, the bullet was not recovered as it passed clean through.

I think it is fair to say for DG the Swift A Frame is very popular, but when you can't get them the Peregrine VRG3 does a very effective job.

I was very lucky to get a Buffalo Cow approx 110m broadside shot with a 270g VRG3 from a 375 H&H, the Buffalo took two to four steps and died to one shot. The bullet was found just under the skin on far side and very much like Boela's photos above produced the same mushroom.

We also find the same level of grouping that the guys above have found, I would also add that Peregrine's like a faster burning powder than similar mono metals, for example we use RS40 or Viht 530 for the 308w 165g loading.

I will add when we have traveled to SA we have arranged a delivery of bullets to top up what we use.

Any questions feel free to message.

ATVB C

I think it is fair to say for DG the Swift A Frame is very popular, but when you can't get them the Peregrine VRG3 does a very effective job.
I had a 375 H&H built over the last year and need something effective for that. I thought of, and can get, A-Frames but I wanted to try to try monoliths. Just about everyone is saying TSX is the greatest monolith ever, so what do I do? ... get Peregrines and hope for the best.

I was very lucky to get a Buffalo Cow approx 110m broadside shot with a 270g VRG3 from a 375 H&H, the Buffalo took two to four steps and died to one shot. The bullet was found just under the skin on far side and very much like Boela's photos above produced the same mushroom.
The 375 is new to me so this is what I want to hear. I tend to like to get close and uncomfortable so stopping power is an issue.

I will add when we have traveled to SA we have arranged a delivery of bullets to top up what we use.
I've discussed availability with the current US supplier of peregrines, the only one that I know. Apparently they are working on the availability issues. Part of that is to have some sort of US based inventory. That would be good but there are so many combinations I can't fathom how that will work for anything but the more common calibers and weights. Of course my needs will quite probably fall outside those parameters.

Peregrine bullet hits him so hard. My Ph said he didn't see such profused bleeding before. Took only one bullet. It was my PH 375h and hThe design of peregrine bullets are genius, it uses plunger. Outstanding performance.
Screenshot_20240330_011047_Gallery.jpg

The peregrine components are very good.
I rank them up at the top of my list of go to bullets.

22h on up to 458wm and a bunch in between. They work well. Consistently well and I have yet to see one fail.
They hold together very well through animals or hard testing media like anthills and laterite.

If I recall, these are 416 caliber vrg3 dug out of an anthill at Takeri reserve.
IMG_2082.jpeg

These I believe are 458 wm peregrine vrg3 on the left and 458lott rhino solid shanks on the right.

IMG_2081.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeFranke

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.