Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
DSC Life Member, International Member PHASA
Hunted
Several of the lower 48, Alaska, South Africa, Ireland, Argentina, Peru
Im assuming a few guys here are running thermal optics of some sort on pig/predator hunting rifles?

Ive got a very nice thermal monocular (pulsar axion 2) thats great for sitting in a stand and spotting game and/or finding downed game that might have run a distance into thick woods..

Im now looking at potentially buying a thermal scope to put on a 300 BLK AR that is primarily set up for hogs, coyotes, etc..

While I absolutely love the pulsar axion 2 mentioned above.. its honestly WAY more than I need or am willing to pay for in terms of quality, options, etc.. in a thermal scope.. at absolute best the longest shot available in the locations I typically hunt hogs, yotes, etc is 200 yards... most shots are going to be somewhere in the 50-150 yard range..

being able to see every whisker on a bobcats face at 400 yards would be cool.. but really just isnt necessary.. as long as I can easily make out which end of a pig is its head vs its butt.. and see the animal clearly enough to know its absolutely a pig at 150 yards.. Im good..

I also dont need a lot of fancy functions.. the axion and my sightmark wraith (day/night vision) have options like blue tooth connectivity, video/audio recording, multiple display options, multiple reticle options, etc..etc.. while all of that is nice.. I simply dont use any of it.. as long as I can see a clear set of crosshairs against a white hot image.. Im good..

What I am most interested in is reliability and consistency..

Ive identified 2 different options that I think are within my intended budget and will do everything I want them to do... but know nothing of either companys reputation for customer service or the quality of their products..

Im looking at an AGM Rattler TS25-256... and a Bearing Optics Hogster Stimulus VR...

anyone have any experience or opinions on either of these thermals?

Eurooptic had a deal on their Burris thermal that was very good. Not sure if they are in stock, they were in the 1800ish range. I try to give them a call before I make a purchase on glass or AI rifles. They at time have some stupid good deal blowing out stock. They have a pretty knowledgeable sales staff too. They have very good deals on their Trijicon thermal right now, like 2k+ off plus a Ten mile scope. It exceeds your budget, it does give you an idea of how deep they cut.

Sorry that's about all the help I can give you right now. I'm just rocking a WP PVS14 helmet mount.

Doesn't ATN have some LT models which are basically their Thor range without the non-essential do-dad?

I notice you mentioned using 300 BLK. If you're using subsonics you may need to consider something with an integrated laser range finder and automatic ballistic compensation. Unfortunately that would add significantly to the cost. Not an issue at 200 for supersonic loads.

Some good deals come up on used Pulsar trail units. Be careful of the cheap stuff. Slow refresh rates will be terrible when you get into a big sounder and there’s pigs running everywhere.

Im assuming a few guys here are running thermal optics of some sort on pig/predator hunting rifles?

Ive got a very nice thermal monocular (pulsar axion 2) thats great for sitting in a stand and spotting game and/or finding downed game that might have run a distance into thick woods..

Im now looking at potentially buying a thermal scope to put on a 300 BLK AR that is primarily set up for hogs, coyotes, etc..

While I absolutely love the pulsar axion 2 mentioned above.. its honestly WAY more than I need or am willing to pay for in terms of quality, options, etc.. in a thermal scope.. at absolute best the longest shot available in the locations I typically hunt hogs, yotes, etc is 200 yards... most shots are going to be somewhere in the 50-150 yard range..

being able to see every whisker on a bobcats face at 400 yards would be cool.. but really just isnt necessary.. as long as I can easily make out which end of a pig is its head vs its butt.. and see the animal clearly enough to know its absolutely a pig at 150 yards.. Im good..

I also dont need a lot of fancy functions.. the axion and my sightmark wraith (day/night vision) have options like blue tooth connectivity, video/audio recording, multiple display options, multiple reticle options, etc..etc.. while all of that is nice.. I simply dont use any of it.. as long as I can see a clear set of crosshairs against a white hot image.. Im good..

Ive identified 2 different options that I think are within my intended budget and will do everything I want them to do... but know nothing of either companys reputation for customer service or the quality of their products..

Im looking at an AGM Rattler TS25-256... and a Bearing Optics Hogster Stimulus VR...

No experience with the AGMs but I’d be looking hard at their cheap clip on if I was in the market for an entry level thermal

I’ve been hunting predators for past 10 years with .22-250 topped with Trijicon 3-9 duplex with illuminated “green dot”. I also use a Red Light mounted a top the scope. It works well out to Max 120 yrds./Fox and 175 yrds./coyote.....add 50 yrds if ground is “snow covered”. The illuminated “green dot” significantly improved my hit rate and speed to acquire target, but although the rig kills Prairie dogs out to 300 yrds during daylight - nights are limited To 200 yrds regardless of conditions - Not visible enough.
You describe an extremely “clear” picture on the thermo optics and the ones I’ve used are much less clear - 100 yrds on Fox size target (because of the low magnification) is about the max range under real hunting conditions.
My rig is about $1000 (scope + Red light) so if I spend another $3000+ I want real improvement —— does that exist? Shooting a Pig is a much easier target then a Fox.

You can get an incredibly clear picture on a thermal at several hundred yards…. If you’re willing to drop $6k+ on a top of the line optic…

I’m not willing to do that..

150 yards with enough clarity to see the kill zone on a pig/coyote/bobcat is all I need…

I’ve got a night vision optic that does that now… I’m just looking for a thermal that performs similarity for the next rifle..

I’ve got a couple of rifles rigged with high output green lights that I also use for hogs and predators… they do an ok job… but occasionally I do get an animal spooked when the light comes on… lost a decent sow to a light spook a couple of months ago

You can get an incredibly clear picture on a thermal at several hundred yards…. If you’re willing to drop $6k+ on a top of the line optic…

I’m not willing to do that..

150 yards with enough clarity to see the kill zone on a pig/coyote/bobcat is all I need…

I’ve got a night vision optic that does that now… I’m just looking for a thermal that performs similarity for the next rifle..

I’ve got a couple of rifles rigged with high output green lights that I also use for hogs and predators… they do an ok job… but occasionally I do get an animal spooked when the light comes on… lost a decent sow to a light spook a couple of months ago
Have you tried a “dimmer switch” for your light? Also, Red seems to spook them less then a Green light (although Green lights them up better/brighter then Red - it spooks them more too).. I started using a dimmer switch on my Red light and it made a difference “Not” spooking animals. I start out with it extremely dim - just enough to faintly “glow” eyes. Once I’m lined up in the direction of the animal and looking thru scope - i press a pressure switch (attached to fore end of rifle) and slowly increase illumination - until I have enough to make the shot.

I havent seen one with a dimmer switch... Ive just been using cree lights you can get on Amazon for about $29....

I'll take a look around for a red with a dimmer switch.. inevitably I end up loaning rifles to buddies that come in from out of town when we go after pigs.. so even though I'll have a rifle with NV and another with a thermal.. Im sure the flashlight guns wont just sit in the safe.. they'll still be getting used as well..

I havent seen one with a dimmer switch... Ive just been using cree lights you can get on Amazon for about $29....

I'll take a look around for a red with a dimmer switch.. inevitably I end up loaning rifles to buddies that come in from out of town when we go after pigs.. so even though I'll have a rifle with NV and another with a thermal.. Im sure the flashlight guns wont just sit in the safe.. they'll still be getting used as well..
I used “Sheps Lights” i think the model light was “TLR” they are well reviewed on forums on the web but nothing recent - I last spoke to him 5-6 years ago.....so I’m not helping you very much with OLD information... He is (was) out of PA but just tried to find his site on line and couldn’t - will try later. The only lights that really work are LED where the actual bulb is red or green. Any light with just a colored lens over a white build has very limited range. Decent LED lights are $100 or more but worth it.

Message angelo_orygun he works for Inf IRay out of Dallas he's an AH member

iRay makes some of the best stuff on the market... but its also extremely expensive (I know/understand you get what you pay for..)...

Im unaware of anything they sell (weapons optic) that has a MSRP under about $2900 (maybe higher?).. and some of their stuff is north of $15K a unit.. I think theyre a bit much for my intended application, or what Im willing to spend..

iRay makes some of the best stuff on the market... but its also extremely expensive (I know/understand you get what you pay for..)...

Im unaware of anything they sell (weapons optic) that has a MSRP under about $2900 (maybe higher?).. and some of their stuff is north of $15K a unit.. I think theyre a bit much for my intended application, or what Im willing to spend..
Yes that exceeds my budget too - i love shooting predators even more then deer and while a great thermal set up might increase my catch rate from 8-10 a season - up to 12+.... it’s too high a price to pay. l’m Not in Wyoming or out West where I might have wolf/bobcat/mountain lion coming into my calls

Yes that exceeds my budget too - i love shooting predators even more then deer and while a great thermal set up might increase my catch rate from 8-10 a season - up to 12+.... it’s too high a price to pay. l’m Not in Wyoming or out West where I might have wolf/bobcat/mountain lion coming into my calls

I think you are selling yourself short. Unless you are using a thermal scanner you have no idea how much you are missing. Steiner makes a decent unit for the money clip-on or stand alone. Deals to be had right now in the used market if you are willing to be patient.

We have coyotes and bobcats that like to mess with my ducks at night. Have killed several of them using suppressed ARs. Have killed several, hogs when they show up on camera. I just grab a big bore and practice my stalking skills have killed several in less than 10 yards. We are only on 11 acres so, have never been able to justify the cost of entry.

Reactions: WAB
ATN THOR LT, DO EVERYTHING YOU NEED IT TO FOR UNDER $1K

Reactions: WAB
I have an ATN ThOR 4 3x8 mounted on a 5.56. It is a big and a bit bulky, but it is a pretty remarkable tool for 2 large. I can stand on the back patio and look 300 yards down to the river and clearly tell if we have deer or pigs in the pecans. Once set up, it holds zero very well.

ATN ThOR-HD 384 1.25-5 x 384 Thermal Rifle Scope

Steiner C35 640x320 clip on punches way above it's class. Can be had in the used market for average of $3g.
Really impressed with mine.

Attachments

• Nighthunter Thermal Clip On | Steiner Optics.pdf
    413.6 KB · Views: 49
I am a big fan of Pulsar after using different pulsar handhelds and a scope when in England. The higher end pulsar is impressive.

Don’t wast your money on anything atn. I would look at the pulsar talion xq 50. I’m a hog hunting guide and that is the only brand I use at the moment. To say that my scopes get used more than normal is a Giant understatement. It’s almost as difficult to find a scope without bells and whistles as a new truck with plastic floor mats and vinyl seats. Good luck with your search.

Thanks for the kind words!

Check out the promo on the TL35V2 - $2699

I’m more than happy to answer any questions you have about thermals in general.

Attachments

• BOLT TL35 V2 Thermal Weapon Sight 384x288 35mm.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 46

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EulaMaur64

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….