Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia, South Africa, Zimbabwe
... built by Mr. Davenport, is currently residing in Belgium. And I got to fondle it for a few moments.

1705785142943.jpeg

In my favourite Belgian gun store, I have had the honour to befriend the resident senior gun smith, Mr. G.
He is a previous long time PH in the CAR and has more hair raising stories than he currently has hair on his head. Mr. J. Dorleac himself calls him a double rifle expert.

He is also quite fond of fine rifles, with a tendency for the big bore stuff, and managed to purchase this rifle. We only had a few moments to talk about it, so I'll put the link to an article written about the rifle below, as that will be much more interesting than my rambling.

I manipulated it, yes it is heavy, but not as heavy as one might think a 585 Nyati should weigh...

Anyway, I thought you guys would get a kick out of this :)

585 - 1.jpg

585 - 2.jpg

585 -3 .jpg

585 -4 .jpg

585 -5 .jpg

585 -6 .jpg

585 -7 .jpg

585 -8 .jpg

585 -9 .jpg

But... but... how does it compare to a .35 Whelen? I think that's what everyone is really wondering.

(sorry man... super cool rifle, and it's neat you got to fondle it; thanks for sharing)

... built by Mr. Davenport, is currently residing in Belgium. And I got to fondle it for a few moments.

View attachment 581874

In my favourite Belgian gun store, I have had the honour to befriend the resident senior gun smith, Mr. G.
He is a previous long time PH in the CAR and has more hair raising stories than he currently has hair on his head. Mr. J. Dorleac himself calls him a double rifle expert.

He is also quite fond of fine rifles, with a tendency for the big bore stuff, and managed to purchase this rifle. We only had a few moments to talk about it, so I'll put the link to an article written about the rifle below, as that will be much more interesting than my rambling.

I manipulated it, yes it is heavy, but not as heavy as one might think a 585 Nyati should weigh...

View attachment 581863

View attachment 581864

View attachment 581865

View attachment 581866

View attachment 581867

View attachment 581869

View attachment 581870

View attachment 581871

View attachment 581872
I remember the old magazines highlighting articles on the Nyati & seen photo's of this on Yahoo. But that's really cool .. love those belly floor plates on Bolts.

View attachment 581874

View attachment 581863

View attachment 581864

View attachment 581865

View attachment 581866

View attachment 581867

View attachment 581869

View attachment 581870

View attachment 581871

View attachment 581872
Nice piece of kit and ... who said wall guns were history:A Banana::D Beers:?

Real good story! Thank You!
And feeds my believe: Mauser K98 .... the action!

I remember this well. I thought it was owned or consigned by Steven Bertram at one point?
I have seen that rifle listed somewhere before as well. Alas, my brain grows weary as to where.

I have seen that rifle listed somewhere before as well. Alas, my brain grows weary as to where.
Yes, Steve had it in and sold it for what I thought was a pretty fair price.
Sort of wish I had bought it then.

Oh man, having such a canon in Your gunsafe makes You really really special, but what then?
I can‘t imagine Your doctor likes that sort of recoil on You! It‘s like playing punching ball for Mike Tyson!!

585 owners shared the differences, 585 Nyati, AHR, GMA, Hubbel. But what is a 585 "VH"?
1706195489952.png

Thought this was previously advertised as a GMA, now .. "585 VH"
Thank you.

Looking back on it, the offered price was crazy low. I did not care for the plaque on the stock, but for a collector it may be seen as a plus.

Attachments

• 585 VAN HORN EXPRESS | Cartridge Collector.pdf
    76.9 KB · Views: 20
Do you need such cartridges like the 585 Nyati ?

I am also a supporter of the use of big bore cartridges for big game species, but as a hunter one have to mastered such rifles in order to shoot with it accurately. It's not about shooting something more bigger and with more recoil, but rather as hunter to shoot efficiently game.

From personal experience, it seems to me as hunter that there are upper limits when it comes to the practical use of big bore rifles. A cartridge like the 500 Jeffery in a bolt action rifle or 577 Nitro Express in a double rifle seems to me to be the upper limit when it comes to practical use in the field for big game hunting. The cartridge 585 Nyati with all its disadvantages in terms of weight and size of the rifle and its recoil, exceeds these limits.

Do you need such cartridges like the 585 Nyati ?

I am also a supporter of the use of big bore cartridges for big game species, but as a hunter one have to mastered such rifles in order to shoot with it accurately. It's not about shooting something more bigger and with more recoil, but rather as hunter to shoot efficiently game.

From personal experience, it seems to me as hunter that there are upper limits when it comes to the practical use of big bore rifles. A cartridge like the 500 Jeffery in a bolt action rifle or 577 Nitro Express in a double rifle seems to me to be the upper limit when it comes to practical use in the field for big game hunting. The cartridge 585 Nyati with all its disadvantages in terms of weight and size of the rifle and its recoil, exceeds these limits.

Load it the same as a .577 Nitro then and enjoy a low pressure .577 nitro performing bolt gun ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix19312

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.