The ultimate buffalo hunt

although I said no fences, if it comes down to fences or running into people I’ll take the fences any day. That is one of the attractions of the large South African concessions, you are pretty much guaranteed that you wont be running into anyone who shouldn’t be there. It is really dangerous too if there is the chance of a shot accidentally taking someone out.
I think you have a different perspective living in Africa. For me, I definitely want some core areas without people, but I sometimes think seeing people makes it a lot more authentic. There were a lot of people along rivers in Caprivi but the game adjusted to it. Nothing would ruin my buffalo hunting experience faster than seeing a kings wildebeest or a saddle back impala or other color variants inside a fenced area. I’d take the people over that.

Tsetse flies are a precious gift, with out them africa is overrun with livestock. If you can stand the blood loss then you are in wild country. A true wild buffalo hunt requires that these insects be present and if you are willing to tolerate these vampires then you walk the steps of history. How precious the trophy that is earned from he presence of these parasites.

Tsetse flies are a precious gift, with out them africa is overrun with livestock. If you can stand the blood loss then you are in wild country. A true wild buffalo hunt requires that these insects be present and if you are willing to tolerate these vampires then you walk the steps of history. How precious the trophy that is earned from he presence of these parasites.
Exactly!! The is no point in wishing for an insect-free hunt in "Wild" Africa, since some of the best wild African hunting exists only because of the presence of these annoying creatures. You may as well wish for no thorns, or dust, or shorter travel distances.

I've always considered our Canadian bugs "protectors of the wilderness" - and we have to put up with mosquitoes, black flies, sand flies, noseeums, deer flies, horse flies and bulldog flies. Sometimes all at once. Makes the bush less full of tourists.

Tsetse flies certainly are annoying, but I'm glad they exist. Otherwise more of Africa would be full of cattle and goats and villages, not buffalo.

Last edited:
Is there a hunt for under $20K that approximates this mythical hunt? Any suggestions?....................FWB

Is there a hunt for under $20K that approximates this mythical hunt? Any suggestions?....................FWB

Contact CMS about a hunt in Dande. I haven’t looked at their current price list but we were just under $20k in 2019.

My white hunter, Mr. Cheffing’s camp in Kenya, 1974 (life’s first African safari). Also my life’s first Cape buffalo. He interestingly enough, HATED double rifles and was armed with a B.S.A (Birmingham Small Arms) Majestic in .458 Winchester Magnum as his dangerous game backup rifle. But we had paraffin lamps and good liquor (personally speaking… I much prefer beer, brandy, bourbon, rum & red wine over scotch).

The firearms he had in camp were:
- The aforementioned 458 Winchester Magnum B.S.A Majestic
- A .375 Holland & Holland Magnum BRNO ZKK602
- A .30-06 Springfield BRNO ZKK600
- A .243 Winchester B.S.A Majestic
- A 12 Gauge 3” Magnum B.S.A Wildfowler boxlock extractor

To your list, I would add one more thing:
- A camp cook who can make good wild game potjie (my favorite African dish).

I’ve hunted in areas with the mopane bees & tsetse flies. Very uncomfortable and irritating, but whoever said that hunting was ever about comfort ? I generally do prefer to hunt in areas without them, however (if I have a choice).
IMG_1808.jpeg
IMG_1809.jpeg
IMG_1792.jpeg
IMG_1794.jpeg

Last edited:
I learn more each time. I aspire to become the ideal client so the opportunities offered on the “ultimate” buffalo hunt aren’t wasted on me.
This right here captures my spirit exactly. I'm looking for things like Kevin said (great topic by the way) but I'm also really wanting to do my part. I put a lot of effort into that and being prepared. I also hope to end the hunt as a friend to the PH.

@Kevin Peacocke I have never been to a place exactly as you describe.....some pretty close though. I think solitude is one of the most difficult things to find and experience. Many places advertise massive blocks of land. But there are a lot of people living in Africa. Poaching, pilfering, panhandling and nuisance people abound. I advise everyone to ask about this when planning an expensive hunt. One more thing, is "the PH with the double".....I have seen them so eager to use their rifle, and/or so terrified of buffalo, that they spoil the hunt. You don't want to come to the realization that THEY have been hunting buffalo, and you have simply been paying for it.
Make sure that YOU are a hunter too.
And lastly, no WIFI
I am also looking for this mythical hunt. (There is nothing I like better than a good Tsetse Fly).......FW Bill
I think what you describe is pretty rare. I fortunately have never met that sort of PH or ever had such a hunting experience (of course I haven't hunted with Mark Sullivan either :oops:) . None of them, whether carrying a double or bolt action rifle, has fired at one of my game animals of any type.

As @375Fox suggests, pre-hunt due diligence is key to a great experience.

The experiences in the wild places for a buffalo are often quite different than more civilized environments. For me, the perfect "lodge" for the perfect hunt doesn't need to be up to Michelin four or five star standards, but the views and settings need to be unsurpassed.

wild places4.jpg

I like neighbors who can also be a bit pushy.
wild places6.jpg

wild places3.jpg

I accept that retrieving one's bull can sometimes be absolute 19th century.
buff 3.jpg

And the regional clean-up squad needs to be prehistorically efficient.
wild places7.jpg

And as others note, these places only exist in part because these dual bladed "allies" keep the cattle away.
wild places5.jpg

My perfect hunt has all of these things, and of course the bulls.
wild places8.jpg

We have seen many posts on first buffalo hunt questions, best value buff hunt questions, a hunt in this country or that, but what I am asking here, and putting my own wish list up rhetorically, is the ULTIMATE! So obviously it will be subjective and it may borrow snippets from what you all have said before. So here goes:
A wild area, no fences, natural herds.
A dagga boy, older than 11 years, worn horns, polished boss and lion scars.
A tented camp nowhere near any roads and no population wandering around.
Paraffin lamps, even if there are other lights.
No livestock.
There must be tsetse flies and mopane flies (bees).
There must be dust.
The PH must carry a double rifle.
The food must smell of fire smoke
At least eight days
An excellent single malt and a crystal glass, and ice.

So what would you add or subtract?
Kevin, your description sounds almost exactly like the hunt I’m taking in just over a month in the Selous, with Alan Vincent. Only difference is Alan tends to carry his 450 Ackley more than he does his 500 NE.

Only thing you forgot to add was… 3 buffalo on license! For me, the best aspect will be sharing this hunt with my son and a close friend of 40+ years. I’ve known Alan for 40 years and my son was wearing diapers the first time he was around Alan. It’s going to be 16 days in remote, wild, dangerous game country with some of my favorite people.

Last edited:
Kevin, your description sounds almost exactly like the hunt I’m taking in just over a month in the Selous, with Alan Vincent. Only difference is Alan tends to carry his 450 Ackley more than he does his 500 NE.

Only thing you forgot to add was… 3 buffalo on license! For me, the best aspect will be sharing this hunt with my son and a close friend of 40+ years. I’ve known Alan for 40 years and my son was wearing diapers the first time he was around Alan. It’s going to be 16 days in remote, wild, dangerous game country with some of my favorite people.
Looking forward to your report

We have seen many posts on first buffalo hunt questions, best value buff hunt questions, a hunt in this country or that, but what I am asking here, and putting my own wish list up rhetorically, is the ULTIMATE! So obviously it will be subjective and it may borrow snippets from what you all have said before. So here goes:
A wild area, no fences, natural herds.
A dagga boy, older than 11 years, worn horns, polished boss and lion scars.
A tented camp nowhere near any roads and no population wandering around.
Paraffin lamps, even if there are other lights.
No livestock.
There must be tsetse flies and mopane flies (bees).
There must be dust.
The PH must carry a double rifle.
The food must smell of fire smoke
At least eight days
An excellent single malt and a crystal glass, and ice.

So what would you add or subtract?
Wild area yes.
No fences mute point I hunt some areas in SA in excess of 47000 acres, has the big 5 present and no you will see the fence when entering and leaving not when hunting, good luck finding the same bull if you bumped him once too often....in excess off 1000 buffalo, no put and take.....
Old dagga boys only for sure..
Tented camps are nice but few and far between....old farm house also availible...
Paraffin or tilly or coleman lamps ok
Yip no livestock...
Fu....the tsetse and mopani flies....
Dust is always there...
Double rifle is not the best for buffalo backup....500 Jeff...
Cooking over the fire for sure....
The longer the better...
Single melt(I prefer Isle smokey) and brandy and coke....and good red wine at meal time....never had crystal make the dop taste better....

Lunch and rest on the track....
Plenty of pg availible....

That sounds awesome, LvW............pretty darn close to the hunt Kevin described......FWB

I should probably do a typical Buff hunt first so I could appreciate this magical "Ultimate Buff Hunt".

I remember years ago while sleeping in a tented Caprivi camp being awakened by the pungent odor of cattle manure, smelling like a livestock auction yard. A large herd of buffalo was being pushed through camp by a pride of lion In the middle of the night. I was elephant hunting with two permits but took time out the next day to track Nyati. Normally i discourage hunting other animals when after elephant, However, I had one down and the lure of buff got the best of me and we took a fine one that morning. Buffalo are so widely dispersed there is ample opportunity to hunt them as they are well scattered all over the vast African continent. I love to hunt them in wild country from traditional hunting camps. Tsetse fly call this home and I think they cheer when I show up. As usual, i agree with Kevin‘s description of the ideal buffalo hunt. Kindest Regards

I hunt some areas in SA in excess of 47000 acres, has the big 5 present and no you will see the fence when entering and leaving not when hunting, good luck finding the same bull if you bumped him once too often....in excess off 1000 buffalo, no put and take.....
Nice...that's a huge area!

My white hunter, Mr. Cheffing’s camp in Kenya, 1974 (life’s first African safari). Also my life’s first Cape buffalo. He interestingly enough, HATED double rifles and was armed with a B.S.A (Birmingham Small Arms) Majestic in .458 Winchester Magnum as his dangerous game backup rifle. But we had paraffin lamps and good liquor (personally speaking… I much prefer beer, brandy, bourbon, rum & red wine over scotch).

The firearms he had in camp were:
- The aforementioned 458 Winchester Magnum B.S.A Majestic
- A .375 Holland & Holland Magnum BRNO ZKK602
- A .30-06 Springfield BRNO ZKK600
- A .243 Winchester B.S.A Majestic
- A 12 Gauge 3” Magnum B.S.A Wildfowler boxlock extractor

To your list, I would add one more thing:
- A camp cook who can make good wild game potjie (my favorite African dish).

I’ve hunted in areas with the mopane bees & tsetse flies. Very uncomfortable and irritating, but whoever said that hunting was ever about comfort ? I generally do prefer to hunt in areas without them, however (if I have a choice).
View attachment 546393View attachment 546394View attachment 546397View attachment 546398
I truly enjoy your stories and pictures Hunter-Habib! You are fortunate to have hunted Kenya before it closed. Please keep sharing your memories with us!

I truly enjoy your stories and pictures Hunter-Habib! You are fortunate to have hunted Kenya before it closed. Please keep sharing your memories with us!
Believe me, Doug.
Kenya was extremely overrated. I always considered Tanazania to be the true African hunting paradise. I first went there in ‘78 after hunting fortunately got reopened there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristaAdd

Latest profile posts

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}