steve white

AH legend
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
dallas safari club, mannlicher collectors assoc., era
Hunted
Cape buffalo, plains game
How many of you use Col. Jeff Cooper's WEAVER STANCE? comments...

How many of you use Col. Jeff Cooper's WEAVER STANCE? comments...
I switch between Weaver and Isosceles depending on situation. Weaver gives more stability for big bores and is a little faster for me. More natural to take a short step while drawing. Isosceles for change and training.

Weaver can work... but its largely been replaced by isosceles and modified isosceles stances in most tactical, defense, and competitive shooting instruction..

Some schools still lean toward weaver or chapman (a modified weaver).. but its been increasingly less common over the years..

The best solution (IMO) is to learn both...

For combat, self-defense, isosceles or modified isosceles stance all day long.

I would think that the situation would dictate the technique.

That should be true in theory...

But how many people actually bother to seek out training and learn a proper technique (any technique) in the first place? Much less learn several... and then train enough to where use becomes instinctual based on the situation?

Every time I go to the pistol range I sit and look in wonder at how a handful of the people there manage to hit anything.. despite having $20K in custom, red dot optic covered, pistols laying on the bench... and God help them if they ever have to actually deploy a pistol in defense.. With no understanding of even what a proper grip is.. much less proper stance..

Modern Isosceles is your friend.
Weaver sucks, IMHO.

I use Chapman stance.

Another for Isosceles or some form of it.

The first class I took, had some friends give me some grif for it. How can you not know how to shoot, they would ask. I would happily sell guns I'm not using to pay for a class if that was the only way. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how many guns or bullets you have if you can't run your system effectively. Learn, go to classes, train and train some more, then go to different instructors. It is easy to get complacent, it is easy to make excuses. If the life of you or a loved one was on the line, what would your rather have? An extra gun in the safe? Or the knowledge to run what you have to the best of your ability? It is something to really consider. The best instructors will always tell you to look for a different instructors to get different perspective and not learn one way. How many people have shot from laying on the ground with a pistol, one hand manipulation.

It is more of a response than you asked for, you did not primise this was even for self defense. Hopefully you understand what I am trying to say. Even in competition instructors will help you see things you cannot.

My how times have changed.

Before I learned to use the sights, it was all quick draw double action revolver shooting. Got to where the target was full of holes PDQ. Then when in early 20s , learned to use the sights pretty well so that it took only one shot to behead a rattler.
I really liked the 100 yard range at the Dallas pistol club, but dropped my membership when we moved back to the country.

Went to a neighborhood range last weekend with my adult son and I still do not need the sights at close combat range, but the fast combat shooting seems to distract some folks. I forgot that and will try remember to limit it to private gatherings. It is fun though, especially with a two gun rig and .357 mags.

BTW, self taught here. Tried several named stances and methods, but just went with what worked for me. Right and left handed. My grandson was a good student and I got to ty his German Walther last week. NICE auto! I will buy a few boxes of 9mm to burn through it while he is away at school!

Last edited:
I prefer Weaver.

I'm more accurate with that stance.

I just looked at the images of both stances online and came away thinking, "what the double hockey stick?" I guess I learned it all wrong! I learned- (drilled into my skull) using what is currently called the isosceles but somewhere along the line many started calling it the Weaver- hah :):) I looked at some of the pics on the net and holymoley! One showed a Weaver stance with both arms bent and the handgun about half full distance or less to the shooter's face. Almost like the doofs are trying to emulate an M16 or M4 sling ready carry or Hollywood police dwelling search carry with the handgun right under their nose... for dramatic effect or something- good grief!

I think after all the years and thousands of rounds, I settled into a modified isosceles stance with feet and body slightly angled and grip arm/wrist straight with bore line and pressed into a mostly straight off hand/arm. I do know that my revolver stance and grip is slightly different from my autoloader stance/grip because the geometry of the basic grip angles is different between the two.

I taught my students both, and then told them to find for themselves, which they were more comfortable with, as we´re all built differently. But make sure you have good stability.

And that could well be a modification of either. Then practice until you develop that muscle memory which could save your life.

4470921F-C8BF-4114-A13E-06AA0FF6B0A0.jpeg

this is how we do it in the hood

Anybody ever worry that trouble could be too close to extend your arms way out in self defense?

Another for Isosceles or some form of it.

The first class I took, had some friends give me some grif for it. How can you not know how to shoot, they would ask. I would happily sell guns I'm not using to pay for a class if that was the only way. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how many guns or bullets you have if you can't run your system effectively. Learn, go to classes, train and train some more, then go to different instructors. It is easy to get complacent, it is easy to make excuses. If the life of you or a loved one was on the line, what would your rather have? An extra gun in the safe? Or the knowledge to run what you have to the best of your ability? It is something to really consider. The best instructors will always tell you to look for a different instructors to get different perspective and not learn one way. How many people have shot from laying on the ground with a pistol, one hand manipulation.

It is more of a response than you asked for, you did not primise this was even for self defense. Hopefully you understand what I am trying to say. Even in competition instructors will help you see things you cannot.
Funny you should mention laying on the ground. I was reading Ayoob back in the day I think when his article suggested using any cover available, even prone tucked into a street curb if necessary. Then one day at the range I heard guys talking who had really burned some police officers at paintball. The officers had no idea how to properly conceal themselves and started showing up with their friends regularly to learn how (without being in a real firefight)! Standing like you are at the range firing line was not how. I guess running a course where you shoot from behind cover approaches it, but in life, "almost" isn't good enough.

Anybody ever worry that trouble could be too close to extend your arms way out in self defense?
Of course. And there is a technique for that. The wrist of your shooting hand is braced against your side. Just don't sweep your other hand.

In the earlier days of IPSC and (even better) Texas Tactical (DPC matches designed and run by cops), we did things like one handed reloads, shooting while wearing handcuffs, etc. And of course Weak Hand shooting.

The best was the "Surprise" stages they set up. No idea what was on the other side until you went through a gate or door...

Funny you should mention laying on the ground. I was reading Ayoob back in the day I think when his article suggested using any cover available, even prone tucked into a street curb if necessary. Then one day at the range I heard guys talking who had really burned some police officers at paintball. The officers had no idea how to properly conceal themselves and started showing up with their friends regularly to learn how (without being in a real firefight)! Standing like you are at the range firing line was not how. I guess running a course where you shoot from behind cover approaches it, but in life, "almost" isn't good enough.
In a class the instructor told us a story of one of this cop friends. 3 cops went in to a house. Suspect got the drop on them, Suspect shot cop 1 (friend) in the knees. He fell to the ground and watched the other two cops get shot. Instructor had a conversation about the altercation. Cop 1 said when he went down, he fell behind a table and could see the suspect. His legs were gone, he still had his hands and his pistol. Instructor asked what happened, cop 1 said he never trained shooting from the ground. Like you said square range was his only practice. The story always stuck with me. Several years later in a competition I was shooting that came into play and cleaned a stage because of that type of practice. Ports were 3" tall and on the floor. No way to go prone and see out of your scope.

Different instructors have seen different things, rather pull from their knowledge then have to think about it when it hits the fan.

No, because there are techniques to draw your handgun, and shoot your way out of them. This is the technique taught when someone is too close to you. You see this technique used on one of the John Wicks movies.

shoot.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarioWinsl

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?