thats why I dont like doubles (have one)

All kidding aside. the more practice reacting quickly on wild small game without prior notice of it jumping or flying. Not planted birds or clays in the clear wide open.

Swinging in thick brush. Can’t hurt adding to your toolbox of skills.

My grouse timberdoodle SxS 20 gauge, with 20” barrels
IMG_3443.jpeg
in thick brush a few weeks ago. A Wiley wabbit charged me also

Reps are the key and it looks like you are getting them in. I'll do my best to up my game to your level. ;)

For now I'm off to the clays range for more "bird training" with another AH member. Cheers.
That's the one mayor thing missing for me, more time at the clay range.

All kidding aside. the more practice reacting quickly on wild small game without prior notice of it jumping or flying. Not planted birds or clays in the clear wide open.

Swinging in thick brush. Can’t hurt adding to your toolbox of skills.

My grouse timberdoodle SxS 20 gauge, with 20” barrels View attachment 590786in thick brush a few weeks ago. A Wiley wabbit charged me also
Very true. Hunting pheasants behind a flushing dog is better practice for expedient shooting at big moving targets. Sometimes roosters will even give up a "charge." Twice over the years I've had to fend off flushed panicked birds with my gun barrel to avoid being hit ... and still missed them! Wild birds too, not planted imbeciles. Was almost hit by my Fr Britt's last bird this fall (at twelve and a cancer survivor it's possibly her last bird ever). But I got him. Turned around and almost blew his head off at fifteen feet. One for the memory bank.
20231206_170405.jpg

PS: The coyote is Wiley. Bugs is "waskely wabbit."

Very true. Hunting pheasants behind a flushing dog is better practice for expedient shooting at big moving targets. Sometimes roosters will even give up a "charge." Twice over the years I've had to fend off flushed panicked birds with my gun barrel to avoid being hit ... and still missed them! Wild birds too, not planted imbeciles. Was almost hit by my Fr Britt's last bird this fall (at twelve and a cancer survivor it's possibly her last bird ever). But I got him. Turned around and almost blew his head off at fifteen feet. One for the memory bank.
View attachment 590789
PS: The coyote is Wiley. Bugs is "waskely wabbit."
Tru Dat...
20141020_152815.jpg
20171014_234939.jpg

I have only experienced one “Charge” and it was last weekend. Hunting with 3 friends and armed with only shotguns a rabbit (cottontail) was kicked up and ran directly at me, I was unable to shoot because another hunter was in the line-of-fire, had to let the rabbit pass within 5 feet (talk about fear?) I was so “rattled” that I missed the easy close/crossing shot, but hit it on my 2nd and the 16ga load of 7 1/2s killed it cleanly. It was HUGE - by cottontail standards and we estimated it’s weight at 2 pounds….None of the other hunters had ever seen an encounter like that. It proved (to Me) that I can handle myself in Life & death CHARGE situations and I feel ready for Elephant NOW
Those wascally wabbits can be terrifying when they do charge. But, you failed to tell us if you were using a proper Fudd style Double? or one of them new fangled repeaters? Good one. I hope you had the head properly mounted on the wall Sir.

I have only experienced one “Charge” and it was last weekend. Hunting with 3 friends and armed with only shotguns a rabbit (cottontail) was kicked up and ran directly at me, I was unable to shoot because another hunter was in the line-of-fire, had to let the rabbit pass within 5 feet (talk about fear?) I was so “rattled” that I missed the easy close/crossing shot, but hit it on my 2nd and the 16ga load of 7 1/2s killed it cleanly. It was HUGE - by cottontail standards and we estimated it’s weight at 2 pounds….None of the other hunters had ever seen an encounter like that. It proved (to Me) that I can handle myself in Life & death CHARGE situations and I feel ready for Elephant NOW
Well done. It is tests such as those which instill the confidence to venture forth into the wilds.

Several years ago a friend and I were quail hunting at our club. It just happened to be a gunmaker demo weekend, and Purdy was there to show off their wares and hopefully sell a shotgun or two.

The rep approached me in the clubhouse and asked what I shot, "Beretta - side by side", I replied.

Pointing to the display bench he said, "Oh you must try one of ours". "Oh, must I?"

The young man handed me a beautiful Purdy 28 gauge double, and said, "Please - feel free to take this into the field and give it a try - don't worry, it's a demo". I glanced at the non-demo sitting on the table - the price tag was north of $100K.

Armed with my Purdy, we set off into the field. The quail wasted no time in showing their utter lack of respect by refusing to die. I tried shouting at them, "It's a $100K Purdy - dammit", but to no avail; they simply flew off - showing their backsides.

Suddenly, my partner and his dog stumbled into a huge covey and a mushroom cloud of quail took flight like a mini atom bomb eruption. I turned toward to the noise only to be confronted with a Kamikaze Quail coming in hot.

With my partner in the direct line of fire, I squared off, my left hand around the barrels, my right just aft of the pistol grip, and I pressed out for a perfect "bunt". Smack - right on the side of the butt, and the attacker fell to the ground.

"That's a $100K Purdy", my partner yelled.

"Don't worry - it's a demo".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaquelFrym

Latest profile posts

dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !