Talk me out of a Sauer 404?

AaronR8

AH member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I’ve had the chance to buy a Sauer 404 Elegance in .375H&H at basically half price.

It’s NIB and it’s amazing good looking.

This would be my first “big bore” and I would be keen to hear from people who own a 404, as I understand it , if I was to get a 300WM barrel I could swap it straight out and have another rifle ready to go?

TIA
Aaron

The Blaser R8 will do everything that the 404 can do…and more. Don’t worry about the price. I’m willing to bet that you won’t remember what you paid for it in 2 years.

If you have been looking for a Sauer 404 in 375H&H and it what you really want, I seriously doubt you would pose this question. You would buy it and post pictures of the newest acquisition.

The Sauer 404 is a beautiful rifle, especially in the Elegance trim with the timber stock. It’s a solid switch barrel rifle option with lots of cartridges available.

There are other switch barrel rifles out there that offer benefits over the Sauer 404 but it’s something you will need to weigh against the price you are getting.

I would say that whatever you get, you could be married to it for quite a while. Make sure you are very happy with it and not just getting it for the price.

No one here would be surprised with my recommendation of the Blaser R8. If you have questions about that particular platform, feel free to send me a PM and we can discuss. I’m trying to stay on topic and not make this thread a R8 vs 404.

Also not intending to hijack the thread but I have owned an R8 and handled a few 404s. For me at least the 404 felt better in the hands and I have strongly considered getting one. But, I have to say that if your going to get a aluminum receiver switch barrel, you really can’t beat that R8.

All that being said if you like 404 and it’s well priced what’s there to loose.

I have a Sauer 404 and love the rifle. I have it in 6.5 creed moor, 300 win mag and 404 Jeffrey. I have taken it to to Africa several times. With the 3 different barrels I have taken Springbuck to Cape buffalo. If you are interested and if you purchase the 404 Sauer I have a 404 Jeffrey barrel with magazine ( the bolt head is left handed) . PM me if you have any questions or concerns. I think it is a Fantastic rifle.

If you want and can afford a 404 Elegance, especially at half price then you need to buy it. If I had the funds an Elegance would be at the top of my list of new guns to buy. I doubt you will ever tire of looking at it or shooting it.

Buy it and post up some good pics of it leaning against a tree.

I think this is wrong forum to talk you out of buying Sauer 404.

The last few years I really don’t look to buy much in the way of guns, though I keep an eye open. The one main exception is if a great deal falls in my lap. If I saw a gun I was fond of, then stumbled upon a deal at a true 1/2 price of value, I’d have to buy it.

In my example, a guy pays $1000 for a gun, the used price is maybe $800, and the deal is at $400? Yes, I’d be all in.

Is this the one ? Did you buy it?

IMG_5909.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.