Super grades Winchesters?

Euge

Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
I have been looking for a Model 70 in 416 rem mag and 458 win mag. Does Winchester not offer these new in the super grade rifles?

There have been runs of .375 H&H and .458wm Safari rifles. Currently there are 5-6 .458s on Gunbroker.

I have not seen a current run of .416s and they are going for quite a bit when available as used/NOS.

I have been looking for a Model 70 in 416 rem mag and 458 win mag. Does Winchester not offer these new in the super grade rifles?
They do not. Only presently offered as standard Safari Expresses. Good luck finding one in 416. 458's should be easy to find.

The closest you'll come I think would be one of the pre-2006 New Haven Win 70s called the Classic Super Express. According to the Blue Book, the Classic Super Express (marked "Super Express" on the floor plate and "Classic Super Express" on the barrel) in 375 HH and 416 Rem Mag were made 1994-1998. The Classic Super Express in 458 WM was made 1993-1998. To my knowledge these had more finely finished wood with cheek piece, slightly less bulky stock dimensions, two cross bolts and red recoil pad. The barrels were gloss blue and had barrel mounted sling swivel. The actions were CRF and matte finished with engine turned bolt body. I have one in 375 HH made in 1996 that fits the above description of the Classic Super Express as listed in references of the model- pics below

IMG_4902.JPG

IMG_4903.JPG

IMG_4904.JPG

IMG_4905.JPG

IMG_4906.JPG

If I were looking for a Win 70 in 416 Rem and 458 WM, I'd try to find them in pre-2006, late New Haven, Safari Express versions. Chances are almost 100% they will not have had the throat shot out :):) With the most common flaws only being cosmetic and superficial. The slightly beefier, straight comb stock of the Safari Express is actually better for heavy recoiling rifles anyway, IMO. Mechanically they are all the same in the CRF, late New Haven M70 rifles, and they will have the old style Win 70 trigger. All post 2006 New Haven FN M70s will have the MOA box trigger. All Safari Express rifles later than the Super Express line will have matte finish metal and a low gloss and a tougher type poly wood finish. The late New Haven M70s may be the best of all the M70s, IMO. pic for comparison

DG rifles copy.jpg

I might consider selling one of my M70s in 416 rem. Shoot me a PM if your still looking.

Correct, the model 70 Supergrade is not offered in 416 Rem. In current production the only rifle they offer in that is the Model 70 Safari Express.

Also correct is that the older Super Express is as close to a Supergrade big bore as you can get. Earlier Super Expresses were push feed.

The current Model 70 Alaskan goes up to 375H&H and differs from the other chamberings in that line in that it has the second crossbolt and a magnum length action. It's a very attractive rifle. Think of a Safari Express but with polished blue steel as opposed to matte

I missed a CRF Super Express at my LGS a couple of years ago by mere minutes. It was chambered in 375H&H and while checking it over I went back and forth. Told my guy I needed to think on it a bit and left for work. 30 minutes later as I arrived at work I decided I wanted it and called him back to let him know and make a deposit over the phone. Turns out the guy standing next to me at the counter bought it just after I walked out......The one that got away ☹️

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoxanaTier

Latest profile posts

sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!
swashington wrote on 112Savage's profile.
May be interested in that LH Ruger in 375R. got any pics?
We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!