Straight-pulls other than the R8 that offer Dangerous Game cartridges?

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I know that the Blaser R8 can be chambered in anything from .22lr to 500 Jeffery (including .375, 416 and 458 offerings) and it's not an uncommon sight on safari these days.

Do any of the other modern straight pulls offer the same DG cartridges?

I've been looking into the Merkel Helix and it appears to top out at 9.3x62.

Side note, have you ever hunted with or seen others hunting with other straight pulls in Africa, aside from the R8?

Hi

Yes, Heym does in their SR30.

But only .375 Ruger (at least in Europe)

1000038637.jpg

And there is the Austrian Strasser RS14 as a second option. If you are considering it as an straight pull...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Yes, Heym does in their SR30.

But only .375 Ruger (at least in Europe)

View attachment 596333

And there is the Austrian Strasser RS14 as a second option. If you are considering it as an straight pull...

It looks like the Strasser offers both the 375 Ruger and 416 Ruger & 458 WinMag cartridges, neat.

Last edited:
Yes, exactly...

There is the option to switch barrels related to the model you choose.

We did a hunt for a Heym photographer. He was not very familiar with the safety. He had one opportunity on a great buffalo. The rifle was SR30. The buff won.

One thing to watch with other multi-barrel capable rifles is scope placement. On a R8, the scope mounts directly to the barrel. That means that scope and barrel combination will shoot to the sight-in location regardless how many times the three elements are separated. Take down rifles that have the scope mounted on the action use a single scope but have to be re-sighted whenever there is a barrel change.

Roesler Titan 16, 375 Ruger
Strasser RS14, 375 Ruger
Blaser R8 - up to 500
Heym SR30, up to 375 Ruger.

Thats about it.
Other straight pulls mostly up to 300 win mag, or 9.3x62.

Blaser R8 wins.

I have a Strasser in 375 Ruger. I am taking my Blaser in May to Africa.

Roesler Titan 16, 375 Ruger
Strasser RS14, 375 Ruger
Blaser R8 - up to 500
Heym SR30, up to 375 Ruger.

Thats about it.
Other straight pulls mostly up to 300 win mag, or 9.3x62.

Blaser R8 wins.
AFAIK Roessler stopped producing the Titan 16

Strasser RS14 is up to .458 Win (other DG calibers are .375 and .416 Ruger)

But yes, the R8 is the most versatile without any question!

Strasser RS14 is up to .458 Win (other DG calibers are .375 and .416 Ruger)
This is logical, all of them can be made on medium lenght action. Good step for Strasser.
In our small world of safari hunters we are running out of options for DG calibers.

Rols Classic Bronze is offered in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum.

Attachments

• ROLS® Classic Bronze | Chapuis Armes | Straight Pull Bolt Action Rifle | Beretta Gallery USA.pdf
    708.4 KB · Views: 15
Take down rifles that have the scope mounted on the action use a single scope but have to be re-sighted whenever there is a barrel change.

Not always necessarily the case. My Mauser M03 always returns back to poa when I switch barrels and optics (or at least sufficiently so for hunting purposes inside 300m on roedeer and up). But I do agree that the Blaser system is superior in this matter, as at least one variable can be removed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColetteJ48

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?