Still worth buying a 338 WinMag if I own a 375?

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I've lately been drawn to the 338WM as a more long range option for taking elk-sized game. I already own a 375H&H, is the 338WM unique enough to own as well?

it looks like the 375 produces about 10% more muzzle energy and while a flat shooter, is outperformed by the 338s higher BCs the further you reach out.

would you pick up a rifle in 338WM if you currently owned a 375?

I've lately been drawn to the 338WM as a more long range option for taking elk-sized game. I already own a 375H&H, is the 338WM unique enough to own as well?

it looks like the 375 produces about 10% more muzzle energy and while a flat shooter, is outperformed by the 338s higher BCs the further you reach out.

Enjoy it for what it is. Sure, the 375 H&H can do it all but the 338 gives further flexibility.

I'm not a good one to ask, I have 3 of each and shoot them all. Perhaps the better question to ask is if you buy a 338WM why would you need a 300 mag of any kind?
Not for sane ranges of hunting and even so the 338 is a decent longer range cartridge. I read once that getting beyond the "mystique" of the 30 caliber..... the 338 does more.

A .338 Winchester Magnum makes for an exceptional African plains game caliber and is also excellent for the great American bears.

On a practical note, you don’t really need a .338 caliber rifle if you have a .375 caliber one. Since there is too much overlap.

But that should never stop you from getting one. As the old saying goes “Variety is the spice of life“.

I am a big 375 fan and doubt I ever own a 338. But, never say never or always. It’s also why I have trouble justifying a 35 Whelen.
The longest shot I ever attempted on game was with a 375 H&H and it did the job just fine. That was back before range finders so range was estimated. This was a mule deer buck in Montana across a coolie.
I am also in the buy it if you want camp. If you want it for an elk rifle go for it! There is no doubt it makes a good elk rifle.
I have two rifles in 416 Rigby, so who am I to say no?
Having said all that, If you need told no, I will rent out my wife for a low low price. She would gladly tell you that you don’t need one! PM me with a phone number!!!

I'm not a good one to ask, I have 3 of each and shoot them all. Perhaps the better question to ask is if you buy a 338WM why would you need a 300 mag of any kind?
haha you sound like the perfect person to ask.

My line of thinking is that I currently have a large gap between my 30 Cal's and 375 so I need to fill that with a medium bore 338 or 358 of some sort. I figure the 358s are closer in purpose to what I use my 375 for so the 338 makes more sense.

I already own .308 and 30.06 so I am planning on skipping over the 300 WM for a 7mmRem Mag as I don't have a 7mm in the collection.

For Magnums that would provide me with 7 RemMag, 338WM, 375 and 458 WM.

Agreed, I have both as well. Mine is a 338 Ultra with a shortened barrel. It's perfect for packing around elk country.
Thanks for your advice. I've come to realize that there is some degree of overlap with most cartridges but I try to spread those out so that I only have "half steps" of overlap from one cartridge to the next.

Due to financial restraints I'm not someone that would own for example a 375 Ruger + 375 H&H or 416 Rem Mag + 416 Rigby.

I would however like to have at least one option from each of the following: 6.5mm, 7mm, 30cal, 338cal, 375, 416 and 458.

It fills a gap between an 06 and a 375 for sure.

It's your money, if it makes you happy go for it. I would rather take a 500 yard shot with my 338WM than my 375h&h.
Those are the ranges I'm thinking of. 500-600m that are not uncommon in western Canada.

I know that 7remMag will do the same but likely in a lighter platform than the 338.

Ohoo it’s not a rhetorical question? Silly me:eek:
The correct answer is: Hell yeah:LOL:

What kind of ranges would you be comfortable taking on Moose/Elk with the 338?

I have shot a elk at a tad over 700 yards across a canyon, no way to get any closer. I hit him with both of the shots that I took and he was dead with the first one. Neither bullet was recovered, they were Barnes X 225 grain out of a .340 Weatherby

If you were to ask Jesus he would say Blessed are those that reach for a 338!
At least I’m pretty sure he would! I haven’t met a 338 I don’t like and can’t think of a reason not to have several of them in case you misplace one, like Kleenex, keep one in your truck, one next to the bed, buy one for your wife for Mother’s Day, she will like it more than the new broom and dust pan you had your eye on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeonardoOy

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….