Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA-CRSO, Pistol Inst., SCI,GOA
Hunted
USA: Florida, Ohio, Nebraska, RSA, Limpopo
My first Blesbok, I have taken. The first we stalked might be considered just a warm up. My PH, TJ Butcher spotted 3 on an open grassy plain. Parking the Toyota on a dirt track, we began our stalk towards them. They were about 300 yards out. There were however, 3 scrawny trees, without one leaf, directly in our line of advance. Walking one step at a time, single file, we advanced very slowly. Stopping and pausing frequently. We needed to gain 200 yards at least for a comfortable shot. Perhaps 50 yards in, a movement in the corner of my eye revealed that a big Warthog was trotting in our direction. About 10 yards off to our left. TJ had spotted him and was putting the sticks down, I already was moving to his side and getting ready to get on the sticks when I thought this is really it. Yep, it was, he never slowed down and vanished into the tall grass 15 yards in front of us. He never knew we were right there. Well, back to the Blesbok. We made it to another tree, whew, hot and thirsty work. A gain of about 100 yards. They were watching, just trying to decide what we were exactly. We need to gain another 100 yards, much more open to gain the final tree. TJ said he would try something different. I suspected what was coming. He raised the sticks over his head. Well , we certainly would appear to be a "new" creature, that's for sure. Both of us sport beards, so we had a good chance in my opinion, which I highly respect. He motioned to stick very close, I was closer to him than his shadow. I think that was what he meant anyway. We needed just 30 some odd yards to gain the "cover" of the tree. Well, the Blesbok had enough of watching us dance thru the open field and pushed the throttle to the firewall. Gone in 60 seconds. Never looked at my watch, but was a long time. No complaints though, it was exciting making the stalk, and I learned several things. I knew there would be more opportunities and more excitement. When we climbed into the truck we just keep talking how close the Warthog was, we almost had him. Next time for sure. Another great day with @KWALATA SAFARIS. There will be many more great days, to be sure.

IMG_5425.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Photo of a very nice Blue Wildebeest. My shot was less than perfect and with TJ and my tracker Lotius, we recovered the animal. Both TJ and Lotius are amazing in what they can do. The knowledge of animal behavior and tracking skills are just outstanding. Here is the second Impala I shot at 130 yards with one shot from my .300 Win Mag. This Nyala showed up at an opportune time. One shot brought it right down. Somehow after the Nyala, I got the shakes for a minute. It is very beautiful also. The Nyala I took early morning, then the Impala 1 1/2 hours later, folowed by a Warthog 3 hours later. A great day. Of course the day before you could not get close to anything for a stack of Benjamins. About this time I asked TJ for an assessment of what I had done. He knew I was already thinking of a return. I said Buffalo. Yes, let's do it. A call was made to Jaco and a day later he came back with a very nice bespoke safari. So, it is already booked, deposit and all. Now to start working out with my Bruno 602 for next year. Thinking of taking my Chapuis double for more plains game also. Just can't get enough. My late August trip this year has been nothing but joy. Next August will bring new memories and experiences. Not that long to go, really. After all, I have my journals and lots of photos to pore over, in between shooting the .375 H&H.

IMG_5456.JPG
IMG_5462.JPG
IMG_5488.JPG
IMG_5490.JPG
IMG_5526.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice animals! Good for you booking & going again!

Congratulations on a fun hunt and some great memories. Trying to decide if I like your impala or nyala better-

Congrats for a great hunt, and thanks for sharing!

Thanks, I am still on cloud nine. When I booked the hunt I could not sleep the first nite.Now I know I get to do this again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lagunasleo644

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.