Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Republic of CongoNamibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
Some of you may remember my hunt with Willie 2 1/2 yrs ago. Willie has done a good job of keeping in touch with me and this will be my first time doing a second hunt with a PH. I believe this is my 7th trip to Africa. I have a variety of animals on my wish list and we’ll hunt out of 3 different camps. So we’ll loose some hunting time traveling, but I know that going in. I have 10 hunting days so I have the necessary time.
Willie,Carl (landowner/PH) and Willam (Willie’s 20 yr old son and new PH) meet us in Kimberly.
I want to put in a note at this point. If you don’t want to read about longer range shooting don’t continue with this report. I live in the prairie of Wyoming. I shot far more animals at over 250 yds than under. I have a range that I can shoot out to 1300 yds. I have the new Revic BR4 rangefinder with my ballistic profile input into it. It takes barometric pressure, temperature, bullet BC, velocity and shooting angle into account to provide holdovers. The day before I left I was double checking everything at 500 yds. I use a shooting tripod to be steadier than regular sticks.
21DD8583-DB2E-4718-AF8F-EC9B159FDFF1.jpeg

In short I prepare to shoot at longer ranges. If you don’t think that’s hunting then please don’t read this report.

I want to buy another jacket to layer. The forecast has changed and a cold will come in a few days. We saw temperatures down to 1 centigrade. That’s about 34 Fahrenheit. After making purchases and then a sit down lunch we headed for Philipstown and our new lodging.
Due to business considerations and unfortunate flights the Texas boys only have 2 days to hunt here. Then they’re headed home. So we’ll focus more heavily on the animals they would like to hunt. We arrived about 2 hrs before dark so we gathered up and headed out for a short evening hunt. Found a herd of Gemsbok. Carl had just added a new bull and was happy to have the older herd bull hunted.
One of the Texas boys got a shot. Unfortunately he was a ways out and wounded the bull. Couldn’t get back on him so he would be the focus of the next morning’s hunt.
We stayed at a old stone farmhouse. The entrance took you into the kitchen. If you continued straight across the kitchen you’d find yourself in a hallway with bedrooms on both sides. To the right of the kitchen was a raised fireplace for cooking. Meat was usually cooked over hot coals there. Plenty of cold drinks were available to us. Pleasant room to meet in and prepare for hunting. They have a lot of chickens. I love the fresh eggs. I don’t love the roosters starting to crow at 4 am! Part of living on a farm. I could still hear the rock doves tho……..,
Been a long day so after a great meal primarily fixed by Marlee, who is Carls girlfriend we hit the sack. We ate at 6:30 and headed out shortly after 7 to look for the Gemsbuck. We all hunted together.
We saw some springbok and kudu cows that were quite spooky. Some blue wildebeest that were calmer. After about 1 1/2 hrs of driving and glassing we finally found the Gemsbok. Luckily the older bull was still with the herd. It took a long stalk and some good longer range shooting but they got the bull.
Carl called in a crew to pick up the bull after pictures. I might mention that we are in the heart of the Karoo. RSA’s great central prairie. Very few trees. Cool landscape.
4E6EE3DC-5D80-43AA-B75D-6278FBABD867.jpeg

Lots of grass will hills and valleys cutting through the plains.
After the Gemsbok we went looking for a white springbok. I had decided to finish my springbok slam this trip. Too inexpensive not to. Willie, Willam and I were dropped off and walked 500 yds to a rocky outcrop. There was a good ram in this Pasture that was perhaps 1 square mile. It was sheep fenced. The springbok can get out if they really want to. Generally they will stay if not pushed too hard. The truck went to the other side and eventually the springbok came our way. My first shot was at 400 yds. I wasn’t as steady as I thought and missed. Not knowing where we were they obliged by coming closer. At 330 I shot a 2nd time and he was DRT. They are so pretty.
639BDC37-3431-4887-88E7-7338C2EF2DA5.jpeg

Before noon we hunted a common springbok. One the Texas boys unfortunately wounded a good ram in a sizeable herd. With a broken leg we didn’t push him. Eventually we ate lunch and started tracking some more. Through the efforts of great eyes and some persistence we found the ram. He was almost done for and a knife was used to finish him off.
We hunted on 2 farms that totaled around 30,000 acres. That afternoon we went looking for kudu. Both of the Texas boys really wanted one. Out in the Karoo they don’t seem to get the length of horn that the Limpopo has but they still are just as smart. More like what you usually find in the East Cape. We worked our way over to Carls cousins place. He hopped in the truck and off we went. Gotta say that the 2 track up out of his place was horrendous. You were continuously being jarred. I swear I need to see my dentist to have my teeth checked after that first mile. It was rough.
we found a good sized herd of Gemsbok. The Texas guy that didn’t have one made a stalk but never got a shot. Lots of springbok and Blesbok were around us while the stalk was made. While we were stopped they showed us some bushman art.
7BBCFA9E-D8F4-483F-8C3D-62592AEEAE96.jpeg

Fun to see. Off we went looking for a mature kudu bull. As we were driving all of a sudden we saw 2 warthogs taking off. The PH’s were shouting to shoot as the truck stopped. I tried a running shot at perhaps 125 yds. A miss. At about 175 the bigger stopped for just a moment and one of the Texas guys made a great shot and dropped him right there. The body was huge. Maybe 150-160 lbs. The tusks were worn down due to the rocky terrain. We saw huge areas torn up but warthogs rooting for food. We finished up back near the waterhole near the home place and saw a small bull kudu with some cows . Nothing to shoot tho.

Good story so far and a really nice looking precision hunting rig. What are the details on the rifle and load?

What are the details on the rifle and load?

The action is Titanium and is made by Lone Peak Arms in Utah. The barrel is a 25 inch Bartlein with a 1 in 8 twist. It’s spiral fluted. The stock is a Manners EH-5 ( I believe). Love the thumbhole. I’m shooting a Berger 180 gr VLD in a 7mm SAUM. The brass is Remington that is pretty carefully prepared. 62 gr of RL 26 gets me to just over 2900 fps. The rifle is capable of well under 1/2 MOA when I do my part. The scope is a March 2.5 X 25X 42. Love the 10 times zoom range.
Bruce

As we returned from Carls cousins place we saw a Caracal on the road. Carl would of loved us to have a chance to shoot it. He’s a sheep rancher. The caracal was coming from a hilly area towards his ewes and lambs. To that end they offered to take us spotlighting. We got back to the farmhouse. Had a great dinner. We then dressed up warmly and headed out. Say a lot of Steenbuck and mountain Reedbuck. Couldn’t find a caracal or a jackal. Eventually we found a great copper springbok. That was on my list for the springbok slam. So when Carl asked if anybody wanted him I decided to take him. Shot was about 250 yds and put him down where he stood.
304DCDB4-7CA1-4C3A-8102-5AE6265AAD62.jpeg
In hindsight if I had it to do over again I probably would of waited for a daylight hunt for him. Still he’s a great copper. Only a black left to finish my slam. Nothing else was found to shoot so back to the lodge we went.
Bruce

What are the details on the rifle and load?

The action is Titanium and is made by Lone Peak Arms in Utah. The barrel is a 25 inch Bartlein with a 1 in 8 twist. It’s spiral fluted. The stock is a Manners EH-5 ( I believe). Love the thumbhole. I’m shooting a Berger 180 gr VLD in a 7mm SAUM. The brass is Remington that is pretty carefully prepared. 62 gr of RL 26 gets me to just over 2900 fps. The rifle is capable of well under 1/2 MOA when I do my part. The scope is a March 2.5 X 25X 42. Love the 10 times zoom range.
Bruce

I can verify the effectiveness of this set up. It makes 300 yards seem like a chip shot.

I have forgotten one important detail from the first evening hunt where the gemsbok was wounded. The Texas hunter is a good shot. He thought he was on with his shot. Upon examination of his rifle’s scope he found some movement. I always bring a torque driver with me with some bits to fit tongs and bases.
He was able to retighten his scope. It was back on when we checked it the next morning. I have had a issue where I used the driver on 3 of my 10 international trips where I brought my own rifle. Not a bad idea to bring one with you….
Bruce

5/15 is the last day for my Texas friends. We start the day looking for kudu. This area has a decent number of hills and a few draws that have some trees. Lots of it is simply prairie. Nothing in our starting canyons/draws. Both had an interest in yellow Blesbok. There was a decent herd that tended to hang out in a area not too far from Carls fathers house. We found 3 bulls off by themselves. After a little maneuvering and shooting each wound up with a yellow Blesbok bull that they were happy with.
Next we went to a large sheep pasture that had a good sized herd of springbok. Willie and the Texas fellow that didn’t have a springbok walked a hundred yds and set up under a tree that hid them. We drove to the other side and the springbok moved over to the ambush site. First shot was deflected. A second at it on the run apparently confused the ram as he stopped. Then got hammered at around 300 yds.
Next we met Marlee for lunch in the shade of some trees. Nice picnic and back to hunting. Kudu was the most important to both hunters and neither had gotten a chance. We were working around the base of a mountain when Willam spotted a kudu tha stood up for us. A bull and a shooter! 700 yds away. The first Texas hunter got off with Carl and Willam and we’re quickly out of sigh of the bull. They got to about 300 yds and set up for the shot. The bull had moved up into the bush a ways but they found a lane. The first shot broke a leg. The bull couldn’t go up and didn’t want to go down. The hunters move a little to get a lane and got another shot into the bull. A finisher with a pistol finished him off.
Good slid bull for the area and they were thrilled to get him. We were not far from Carls cousins place. So we loaded the bull and headed there. We passed the bull off to another truck and picked up Carls cousin. Less than 2 hrs left to find another bull.
We headed back to where we’d seen a young bull and some cows. Found the young bull down low. Needs a few years yet. Then Willam spotted another kudu bull. He was mature and around 600 yds away. Off go the hunters to close the distance. We watched the bull move towards the top of the hill. We could also see the hunters struggling to get to a position to shoot. Eventually it all came together. The bull was angled away. Boom whip. The bull went over the hill, but clearly had been hit. We took the truck around to one side on an ancient two track to get a view of where the bull might go.
The hunters found the bull and finished him off. We were given the newton the radio. We drove to a point about 1/2 mile from the bull. All but Carls cousin left the truck to go help. I put my rifle in a case that hangs on the inside of the truck bed. Carls cousin was going to go around to the far side and see how close he could get.
We walked in and found the happy hunter. Nice bull again. The cape and head was taken. Then the bull was gutted and left to pick up the next morning. The truck left the road and made it to within 200 yds.
When I got to the truck I found my rifle had fallen out of the case and bounced around in the bed. It was so rough we walked another 300 yds past the truck before riding back. Scope dial cover was beat up some and the scope bell had a noticeable mark on it. All I could do was shake my head and hope the scope was not broken. Here’s a view of where the bull died.
7CECCE79-EF23-4C3D-B75C-0C8C5CCEE4A7.jpeg
FF174DD7-77FD-4B3E-AE99-954DE29EDCD5.jpeg

Willam packing the head and cape to the truck.
We headed back to the farmhouse buoyed up by our success. Everybody was thrilled and the Texas duo hated to leave.

5/16 starts off quiet. The Texas duo leave before 6 am for the Kimberly airport. I laze around until 11:30 when Carl gets back. We know my rifle has to be checked after being banged around. At the range I can’t hit the target at 100 yds despite several rounds fired. We try 25 and then adjust the scope. Back to 100. Barely hitting target and then off target……..
So we have a problem. Either bases, rings, scope or rifle itself. Back to the house. I pull the scope off and re- torque the bases to make sure they are tight. Then I re-level and re-torque my scope in place. Glad I brought the proper tools! I examine the bore and it appears good. Back to the range. Shoot at 25 yds and adjust accordingly. Then to 100.
Thankfully it groups and we’re back on business! Off we go to look for a yellow Blesbok. They are cheap and I’m told there is still a great bull around.
As we drive up to one of the fields that we’re going to hunt there is our bull. When hunted Blesbok can be rather shy. When not hunted they can be rather dumb. This one was the second case. I got off the truck and moved forward a short distance. Got on the tripod and ranged him at 284yds. At which point he starts walking. He stops and turns broadside at what I’m estimating as 320 yds. Boom then whop. He staggers and moves out to essentially 400 yds. I squeeze off a second round. Boom and then whop. Down he goes and surprisingly gets back up. He wobbles off a ways but isn’t dead. We rush back to the truck and drive out to the trees he stopped in. At about 200 I put in the finisher. One shot was just a touch low. The other a little far back……. But we got him.
0635A232-EF61-40DF-A350-FB19DA9D0FB2.jpeg

Best of the 3 Blesbok I’ve killed over the years.
They next drive a couple of miles over to where the copper Blesbok usually hang out. We take a good look but I pass on them.
Our evening hunt is for a old Mountain Reedbuck. They have seen one in the past and it had been promised to Willie personally by Carl. He was kind enough to pass that opportunity on to me. We take our time waiting for it to get late enough for them to come out and feed. Then we drive the bases of some small mountains. We see several singles. A couple of pairs. A big herd of 13 and a smaller one of 5 then as we’re running out of mountain there he is. He is 343 yds away and I’d like to be closer. Off the truck we go and across a fence. I’m afraid he’ll spook before we get a good shooting opportunity. Before we reach 300 yds he lays down. Only his head is visible. Then we get closer and lose sight of him completely. I’m stalking with Willam. He suggests I get set up where I can see. He’s going up the hill to the left and will spook the ram. Despite my misgivings I agree.
I get the tripod set up and stable. Then the wait begins. 15 minutes later up jumps the Reedbuck and off to my right he goes. I’m debating a running shot but he stops in some trees. Then steps out into view. Bang whop and DRT. About 160 yds.
F01CFF60-00C6-4C53-BEE6-80F8E33D2157.jpeg

This guy is ancient. Only 2 teeth left. The one I touch is so loose it would easily come out with my fingers. Huge bases. 4 1/4 inches. His length is worn down to 6 1/8. What a great trophy! One of my favorite animals on this trip.

5/17 is my last half day at Philipstown. Willie wants to get to our next stop as a Aoudad is on the menu and could be tough to get. Our last animal with Carl is a Black Springbok. We go back to the area where we killed a common springbok with one of the Texas fellows. Willie and I crawl under a tree where Carl hopes that the herd will move when they see the truck. We get set up so I can sit and shoot off of the tripod from under/inside of the tree. I got pretty comfortable and we waited……
After about an hour Carl came back to get us. He couldn’t find the bachelor herd of springbok. We hopped in the truck to see if they were in one last valley. Then we spotted them almost 1/2 mile away. Willie and I jumped out to stalk to a rim rock edge that they appeared to be moving towards. Unfortunately they saw something they didn’t like and headed back towards the tree we had been under.
We got back to the truck and headed that direction. We got almost to the tree and there they were. The herd was moving from right to left. Willie, Willam and I bailed off of the truck and moved forward a bit. Willie tells me they will cross in front of us and to get ready to shoot.
Willam and I set up the tripod and get the rifle snugged in place. I get out the rangefinder. 330 yds and the dial up is 4.5 MOA if I remember correctly. The black springbok is in the back 1/3 of the herd. When the ones in front stop to look at us he stops too. No shot . First he’s behind another animal. Then he turns and walks back. Drops into a slight dip with only the back showing. Next he goes behind a bush. Finally the others start moving again to the left and he follows. No shot still. Then he stops broadside away from other animals and looks at us. No shot as the grass is too high. Finally he moves forward a little more and I can see the top 5 inches of him over the grass so I squeeze the trigger. Boom. Whop and down.
I love a DRT. Pretty colors on a black springbok. These 3 finished my springbok slam and trophy fees were under $1000. I thought them a bargain.
9B2869DE-E07D-4B61-A0DF-DCB27D1FAFBE.jpeg

We returned to the house. Ate a quick lunch and headed to Carnarvon to hunt Aoudad. I was sorry to leave Carl. Enjoyed his company.
Our drive took around 3 hours. The farm area we went to is much like the southwest US. Lots of rocks and mesas

E33C4061-D825-43F3-AAE2-730A512EA00A.jpeg

061C11C2-6479-4283-AEE3-BFC926E3CB32.jpeg

Our lodging for this part of the hunt was rather basic. We were housed in a building that originally was used for farm workers. You walk in the front door and are in a small kitchen with a table. At the back of the room there is a doorway on each side. The one to the right hand goes to a bedroom, toilet and shower. 1 lightbulb in the whole of it. The other had a bunkbed and another single bed. On the outside of the building to that side is another toilet and shower…..
The rooms at maybe 14X14 feet. Certainly adequate but not excessive. We had stopped on the way here to buy groceries as this was a self catering setup. Certainly adequate and better than the tents I slept in before.
We make plans for the next day and get to bed early.

5/18 is the first day of my Aoudad hunt. Apparently there have been Aoudad in this area since the 1960’s. They are native to N Africa and have been transplanted to the US and elsewhere. Here around Carnarvon they are Essentially a nuisance and some ewes are killed for meat occasionally. Most of the area is sheep fenced and they can roam where they want for the most part. There are thousands of acres that they can inhabit here.
We drive up into the mountains and start looking for Aoudad. Once we got to the top of one of the mountains we got out and made a walk of around 3 miles. We’d walk up to an edge and glass the slopes below us.
225BD3C6-A6AA-4131-8B66-418D18E78A3E.jpeg
7BD39B80-F4A2-4AFB-A98A-6DA6A9481799.jpeg

we circled back to the truck without finding any Aoudad. They’re here somewhere. Just not where we’ve looked so far. After lunch we start to drive around the foot of the slope. Blocked by a fence. Tried 4-5 other roads before we got to a 2 track under a large power line. That got us to a road Willie had hunted along a few weeks earlier. In fact they got stuck in the mud. I was grateful it was a bit drier now. We eventually worked around near a tank and found a Aoudad ewe caught in a fence. She was still alive but too far gone to save. Back leg was broken. Just a shame.
47BF2709-87E9-40A0-89A3-94AA07E52D1B.jpeg

After providing a quick death for her we did some more glassing and turned up a herd of Aoudad. Willie suggested we drop into a valley and try to get closer. We had to cross an open spot and they busted us even tho we were well over 1/2 mile away. They started working away around a hillside when Willie got excited. There was a very large ram in that herd with good mass. He was to become our target.
With the sheep slowly working their way away from us we looked at the sun and time and decided we’d hunt them tomorrow.
We walked back to the truck and got out in the dusk. Back at the room we had a pleasant surprise. The landlord had brought us a meal. We ate all we could hold and made sure to thank them for their kindness.

5/19 we awoke had a quick breakfast and got on our way. It had rained a little overnight. Not enough to be a problem tho. As we got near the base of the mountain we stopped to glass. Willam immediately picked up the Aoudad. Now there were 50-60 instead of 25-30 animals. More had joined the herd. More eyes to avoid…..
They had worked close to 3/4 of a mile from where we had seen them the previous evening. They were almost a mile away and had already seen us down in the flats. The big question was how big of a threat did they think we represented. We drove a little closer and stopped by a tank. They had actually come a little closer and were moving from right to left. We sat and watched. They walked and fed feeling relatively safe but not completely happy we were there. No cover between us and them. Willie says let’s go for a walk and see if we can get to 500 yds.
So off we go. Close together to look more like 1 unit. The Aoudad obviously see us and continue to move across in front of us. By the time we reach the base of the mountain they are almost out of sight around the curvature of the hill. We watch them as they work out of sight. I see one ram rearing up on his hind legs to bash his horns against another rams horns. Can’t be too spooked if that’s what their doing, right??
After they move out of sight into a “kloof “ we head up the mountain. It’s steep and rugged. Lots of loose rocks making your steps unsure.we struggle up the slope. Then stop to catch our breath. All the while wondering did they stop in the kloof (canyon/draw) or did they keep moving? Will we find them again? Lots of questions and the clock is against us as we huff and puff and wheeze our way up the mountain.
Finally we get to the same elevation they were at when they went around the hill. We carefully peek around the hill. There they are….. So darn far away. A lot further than I hoped. Willie has confidence in me and my rifle. He has seen me make some tough shots. I take a range. 605 yds. I dial up 11 1/4 MOA. Almost 6 feet of elevation. We set up the tripod and have trouble getting it how I want it. Eventually I get set up. Willie directs me to the biggest ram. Finally he gets clear and I seem fairly stable. I squeeze the tripper. Boom and nothing! A miss….. Next shell in and I try to get stable. I can’t do it. The Aoudad can’t figure out where the shot came from due to the echos. They bunch up trying to decide.
Willie says to move to a couple of boulders that are 4 1/2 feet high to get a rest on them. I start to move and he reminds me to move slowly! I creep up to the rocks. Essentially our heads are all that’s where the sheep could see. At. 600 yds that’s not a lot. I set up on the rock and can immediately tell I’m much more solid. I have Willam range the sheep again. 611 yards. Same dial up. The ram turns mostly broadside and seems to be clear so Willie says to shoot. I squeeze the trigger. Boom then thunk. Not the normal whop. I chamber another round . Then Willie says he’s staggering. You hit him!!!! Then he shouts HE ‘S DOWN. We had a party right there on the hillside! Shouting and hollering. Whooping and celebrating. One of my most exhilarating hunting moments…..
We hike over and find him dead. Shot through the neck. Caught an artery and no bones. This ram is everything you hope for. Long with lots of mass. I think it’s the best Aoudad Willie has guided someone to. Old and past his prime.

D06DE21C-E095-4198-8813-AB1EC8DC4424.jpeg
23C864DF-1157-497E-9D89-35BA37842B95.jpeg
FFD4A364-ED54-4263-B48A-199F5E8FDDF4.jpeg

After pics and caping the neck and shoulders out we head down the mountain. It starts to rain. As it rains Willie starts to worry about getting stuck on the way out. Thankfully we make it out without difficulty.
The longer horn is 31 inches. The bases are 11 3/4 inches. He Carrie’s his mass out very well. Truely a great trophy. Aoudad on his home continent. My furthest big game kill to date. One I’ll forever remember.

We pack up to head further South. Willie thinks it’s about a 3 1/2 hr drive. He doesn’t want to leave any later than 3:00 so as to not be on the road after dark. Willam and I push him and we get gone by 3:00. Only problem is the roads. Doesn’t take us 3 1/2 hrs. It takes over 5……. The roads….. well let’s just say I have driven 2 track trails that were smoother. I have appointments with the dentist to redo the fillings that came out from the roughness of that road.
That road is evil. You’d hit a good part and go 50 mph. Then in the blink of an eye you’d hit a series of potholes designed to rip out your undercarriage!!!! You’d go several miles where 20 mph felt like you were in a combo of a washing machine and a blender….. What a miserable excuse for a “road”.
Willie would hit a stretch of rough and start cussing whoever should be maintaining them. We were so glad to get to our next area to hunt. This is where I killed my Vaahl Rhebuck and Klipspringer 2 1/2 yrs ago.
We’re staying at a very old farm that has been remodeled. They rent rooms out and do tours of the animals on the farm. They have a walking path and do a portion on horseback if you want to pay for that. They have a central dining hall where food is served. It’s also the only place with internet. The walls of the buildings are of thick rock. It’s a nice base of operations.
AF833C9A-B3BA-405C-BED2-774D725E6F77.jpeg
81B89753-ED45-4D61-B965-4889BA6ADFB8.jpeg

Looks like a great start to the hunt! Congrats and thanks for sharing, look forward to more!

You are bringing back memories, @gillettehunter , I´ve hunted several times a similar area, southwest of Kimberley, where I also shot a nice Aoudad !

Awesome Thanks for sharing so far

Sorry for the delay in finishing this report. Finished up closing our store in Mt and lost my sister somewhat unexpectedly……
I left off with us arriving at Sutherland. Here we eat in a mess hall. It’s also the only internet. Up at 6. Shower and get ready for the day. Eat at 7. Tried talking with my wife. She was in India taking photos of tigers. Then off at 8.
Normally Willie arrives a day ahead of a hunter and has renewed acquaintances with the landowners and verified what areas can be hunted. He’s been with me for a week up North so we stop by a couple of landowners and check in. Willie prefers to do this in person and not via a phone. I guess it’s the personal touch, but maybe the age class of those involved. Also they are friends and just like to visit!
Along the road we find a Vaalie doe caught in a fence. We stop and work to free her. It appears she hasn’t been there too long. It appears that the hind leg is pulled out of the ball socket. We put her in the vehicle and later get her to the farm where we are staying. They were able to get her to eat and drink so maybe she made it.
I’m looking for a fallow deer as well as a Vaahl Rhebuck. Also will consider a Steenbuck should we see an exceptional one. Off we go above one of the landowners houses . We drive up by a windmill and park. As we get ready to exit we spot some Fallow just above us in a draw. One small buck and 6 does. Then we see 4 Vaalie does. We eat a snack and gear up for a walk.
There are several kloofs that Willie want’s to look into. Willam comes with us the first part of the stalk. Then he goes back to move the vehicle around to the far side. We spent around 4 1/2 hrs hiking Around this place. We see a jackal and several Steenbuck. There has been around 50 does and 10-20 buck Fallow in this area recently. We just can’t find them! All of this country is cattle and sheep fenced. The animals seem to go over them at will.
We do a little road hunting and just looking at what’s around. As the sun is getting low we stop to glass the very bottom of the hill we hiked earlier. Then I see him. A beautiful Fallow. The horns are gleaming in the dying sunlight. As we watch he gets up and starts walking towards us. We’re on the road just on the far side of the valley from him. He’s probably 1/2 mile away. The best feed and water are below us. Wilie considers sending Willam and I In from the South around the edge of a pond. The wind is wrong besides the uproar from the waterfowl and the herd of Vaalies that will spook too. So around to the North we go. Daylight is running out. We park and have a good hike to where we hope to find him.
By the time we get to where we thought he was at we can’t see him in the open. Then Willam spots him in the bush grazing. I have a small opening to shoot through. I get on the tripod. Willam says 158 yds. I aim accordingly and rush my shot jerking the trigger. He’s gone in a flash. As we go look for blood I have that sinking feeling. I know I’ve let the team down. Even though it was a small window I had time…..
Walking out in the pasture it becomes obvious that he was closer to. 300 yds out. The distance magnified my error . We find no blood. We did find a porcupine in the thick stuff. I left him alone. Down to 13 rds of ammo so that’s on my mind as well. No blood. I flat out missed him.
Back to the farm on the rough rounds. I replay the shot in my mind and resolve to do better. The roads jar you to the point you wonder if you’ll ever be the same again. Dinner is good and off to bed.

5/21
Same morning routine and back to”fallow hill “ we go. We pull in where there is a little cover and our come the binoculars. Willie has assured me that the fallow will be back. It’s his home. Sure enough we spot him heading up the hill to bed. His antlers show clearly eve at 3/4 of a mile. He gets to some small bushes and looks like he’s bedding. So off we go to the North. We drive in to a sheep tank and gear up for a hike.
We start our stalk where we hope to find him. 5 steps stop and look. 10 steps stop and look. Nothing. We spend over 4 hours doing this and never find him. He just flat pulled a Houdini on us. We check some kloofs and nothing.
That evening we go back to our spotting point on fallow hill. No fallow deer. Just a herd of Vaalies. The buck is about 8 inches. I’m hoping to better mine from a couple of years before so he gets a pass.
We’ve been seeing 12-25 Vaalies a day. Lots of them around. We make the 30 minute drive in silence. All of us thinking about where could that Fallow of gotten to……. Time is getting shorter….

Rhebuck are like our pronghorn. They rely on their eyes to see danger at a distance and escape. Makes stalks interesting and shots longer range as a general rule.
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kakuli375

Latest profile posts

Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek