SOUTH AFRICA: First Time Safari Complete (With Son & Wife, RSA) - A Big Thanks To All On AH Forum!

Throwback

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
DSC
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Italy, Spain, Romania, Argentina, Texas
We just returned from a great hunt in the Limpopo area. It was my son, wife and myself. Our first hunt in Africa! I wanted to thank everyone involved in the AH forum for all the information on here that helped so much in planning. Long time planning. The motivation I get from reading AH forum every morning with a coffee is also something that cant be beat. Initial details below with some more commentary. Thanks again to all!

Dates: May 27th – June 5th
Type of Hunt: Plains game
Method of Hunting: Rifle – We brought Christensen Arms 300 Win Mag and a Sauer 100 in 6.5 Creedmoor
Outfitter: Somerby Safaris
PH: Brendan
Locations Hunted: 2 Areas in Limpopo
Species Hunted: Kudu, Impala, Blesbuck, Blue and Golden Wildebeest, Zebra and Nyala
Species Seen: Cape Buffalo, Gemsbok, Waterbuck, Tssebe, Red Hartebeest, Warthog, Sable, Roan, Leopard
Lodging: Fixed Camps, one brick housing and other cement floor tents

On the first day we arrived in camp we were hunting that afternoon. It was not on our initial list but we started with my 14 year old son taking an Nyala. A great warm up as these Nyala were not all that skittish. It was approximately a 75 yard shot off sticks standing. He used the 300 Win Mag. We brought 200 grain Hornady ELD-X rounds for the 300. All animals were taken with that rifle and round except for one Impala and the Blesbok (more on him later) which the Sauer 100 was used with Hornady 143 grain ELD-X.

On day 2 my son got his Kudu that morning. This was one of the two most memorable shots of the trip. Standing, off sticks at 260 yards he dropped the Kudu in one shot. I was so proud. All the training and practice we put in went a long way. That same day I shot an Impala (75 yards) and my Kudu (150 yards). Quite a day, 3 animals in all. The PH told me he had never taken 2 Kudu in the same day.

Day 3 we started with me dismounting off the truck and pursuing on foot a Blue Wildebeest. One shot to his shoulder with the 300 Win Mag at 100 yards and he ran but was down within 25 yards. That afternoon I shot a Zebra square in the chest at 135 yards when he was facing us. He ran a good 100 yards but fell dead.

Day 4 my son shot an Impala with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Another one shot kill for him. The morning was cool and the sun was out, great time. After lunch we looked for Blesbok and found a quality one within about 30 minutes after scanning a few different groups. My son shot his Blesbok with the 6.5 Creedmoor and he ran but the PH and the rest of us were all confident he had hit him well. We tracked on foot for around 20 minutes. We approached the downed Blesbok with the PH and my son in the lead. The PH suddenly threw up the sticks and my son shot the now rising Blesbok who was trying to run away. The shot hit him but the Blesbok once again trotted off some distance. The PH, tracker, my son and I all were now all walking in pursuit. I had taken the rifle from my son to carry it a bit but now handed it back to him and told him to get ready, again. Surely this thing must be dead by now we thought, with some reservations though. Sure enough, as we approached the Blesbok again it jumped up and all of us were yelling at my son to shoot, which he did immediately. My son made the shot freehand at the Blesbok who was no farther than 20 yards. This third shot was the final one. This time the Blesbok dropped in his tracks. Wow, that was a lot of fun and a great lesson for my son. The PH complemented his free hand shot and commented that hunters screw those type situations up more than you would think.

Eight animals down by end of Day 4 (Day 3.5 really). We were all thrilled. We took some time off to spend with the wife touring, etc… We also transferred to a different property farther to the North. Beautiful area with long distance views, big time. We hunted for Waterbuck and Gemsbok but never found any that worked out. We saw a few great ones but never could get close enough, etc…

We did take one final animal on Day 8 when I took a Golden Wildebeest at 150 yards, standing off sticks, early one morning. He dropped where he had stood. Since he was kicking the PH told me to put another one in him so I did. I included a pic of his hooves with the reddish hair they apparently grow there.

9 animals in all and a great time. We ate some of everything we shot. Unanimously the Zebra tenderloin was the favorite but all was very, very good.

We visited the taxidermy the last day to discuss dip and pack. We also really enjoyed visiting Safari Outdoor in Joburg and another curio type shop which had great prices on souvenir Africa type items.

Lastly, some information on a few points that are asked about / commented on sometimes.

United Flight: The only negative thing was on the day we were to depart on the United flight that night from Joburg to Newark, I received an email from United saying the flight was cancelled. No rebooking made by them and zero other contact. Thank God I had used Travel With Guns. I got on the phone with TWG immediately and they were on the case to solve it. Long story short is that our business class tickets on the flight to Newark turned into coach class all the way on Lufthansa, Joburg to Frankfurt and then Frankfurt to Houston, all with the rifles which caused no issue. Also, the Joburg to Frankfurt flight which normally leaves at 7pm was delayed until 230am (fun stuff). All that did case a bit of stress and hurt a bit but is forgotten now. I cant wait to go back! Again, thanks to all on AH forum for helping with planning, etc…

Traveling With Minor in RSA: We had my son’s birth certificate (original and a notarized copy) but no one ever asked for it. Uneventful on this point really, in a good way.

Traveling with Rifles: My 4457 was checked by United (not TSA) on the departing flight. The lady who checked it did not seem to know what she was looking at and at one point told me “I trust you honey” when I went to pull out the second rifle. I told her just in case her boss were to ask her I was going to show her anyway, which I did. Upon entry into RSA, Henry’s Rifle Permits handled everything and no issues. Leaving RSA, on Lufthansa by this point our PH helped me check in and no issues. I did not touch the guns or other checked bags in Frankfurt. Upon arrival in Houston my rifle case (Tuffpak) was sitting next to the luggage carousel, unattended. I simply picked it up with other luggage and walked out. No interaction with anyone. Also, we used Apple airtags on all checked bags. This is in addition tracking your bags using the United app.

S. Africa My Kudu Medium.jpeg
RSA - Son Kudu Medium.jpeg
RSA - My Impala Medium.jpeg
RSA - My B. Wildebeast Medium.jpeg
S. Africa - Skull pic Medium.jpeg
G. Wildebeast Hoofs Medium.jpeg
Pride Rock Sunset Medium.jpeg
RSA Campfire Medium.jpeg
Blesbock Medium.jpeg
ELDX from B. Wbeast Medium.jpeg
RSA - Son Impala Medium.jpeg
RSA - Zebra Son and I Medium.jpeg
RSA - G. Wildebeast Medium.jpeg
RSA - Nyala Medium.jpeg
RSA - Son w PH on sticks Medium.jpeg
RSA - Walk in Cooler Medium.jpeg
S. Africa - Skull pic Medium.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, great trip and write up. The greatest accomplishment is two wildebeest dead with a .300 with only 25 yards between them. :). Those dang things can soak up the lead/copper.

Thank you. The PH did tell me he was impressed by the performance of that Hornady ELD-X on the Blue Wildebeest. One shot to the shoulder worked. I will say I thought they were one of the animals that was more fun to hunt. I have to get a Black one next trip!

You guys didn't waste much time.....congratulations.

Thanks for sharing info about your hunt. Sounds like an unforgettable trip.

Any details you can share about the bullet that is missing the core?

Sure. That bullet is taken from the Blue Wildebeest I shot. It was under the skin on the opposite side, but not a straight path from entry. It kind of took a right turn at some point and ended up farther back in the animal from the shoulder area where it entered. I washed it some to get the flesh off and there was a little bit more of the bullet before I washed it but more or less what you see is how it ended up.

That’s great! Thank You for the great report.

My first trip also was with my son age 13, and will never be forgotten. You all will remember this for the rest of your lives. Can’t wait to see the taxidermy when it arrives!

Consider making a photo album (Shutterfly ect) the pics will always be available to show folks.

Congratulations!

Congrats. Looks like a good time was had by all!!

Congrats on a great trip, especially for your son. I really enjoyed your trip report, thanks for sharing. Nyala is a real beauty!

What a great time with family! Congratulations on a very successful hunt!
I suspect you are planning your next trip already! LOL!

Congratulations, nice write up for a great hunt.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Great write up on your successful hunt. Good to see the younger generation in the sport.

Well done all around, congratulations. Thanks for posting your report and pictures.

Looks and sounds like a wonderful trip! I'm very happy for you and your family!

Congratulations, nice family trip. Great your son got to hunt.

Congrats, and thanks for sharing !

Congratulations on an exciting hunt and a great write-up!

My wife, sister, brother-in-law, and I, went on a hunt with Somerby in 2019. It was my sister’s and brother-in-law’s first trip to Africa, and my sister’s very first hunt.

From your photo of “Son with PH on sticks”, I believe that your PH was Brendan Voges. Brendan acted as apprentice PH during our 2019 hunt (under our official PH, P.D. van den Berg). Brendan guided my sister to her first animals, a beautiful impala and blesbok.

We also tasted all of the animals we hunted, and agree with you that zebra was our unanimous favorite!

Thanks for sharing.

Yes, that is the one in the same Brendan!

I'm glad that Brendan got his PH license.
Your report brought back so many happy memories...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Syncro76

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?