SOUTH AFRICA: A Second Trip To the Eastern Cape With GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS

Day 5

The fifth day was all about finding the wildebeest, something Don felt certain of and me somewhat (quite a bit) less.

We picked up the search in the last place we'd seen blood, and - against all odds - Don and Norman found a light blood trail. The trail was leading us into a really tight, steep sided canyon.

One of the better ideas I had during this trip happened on this day. I had shot the wildebeest with my 99, but because of the thick vegetation, I switched to the .45-70, figuring all shots would be close.

In fairly short order, we actually found and jumped the bull from his bed - maybe just a few hundred yards after starting the search? He stood facing us, about to run. Rather than wait for the sticks, I shouldered the rifle and fired a shot; the distance was perhaps 50 or 60 yards.

This time the blood trail was more than ample, and resulted in a dead bull black wildebeest perhaps 70 or 80 yards later. The bulled entered the front, traveled through, and exited a hind quarter. I will never cease to be amazed - or thankful - for Don and his never-say-die attitude in us finding this animal, from a wound that likely wasn't fatal to begin with.

At the end of the day, I missed a blesbok at 190 yards. Yep, you guessed it: I shot low, underneath it... though this time it was a clean miss.

P1010317.jpg

P1010316.JPG

Day 6

We started the sixth day with a range session, which showed me shooting just fine with the 99 at 200 yards. I want to restate that I believe the issue was me, and not my rifle. I'd like to think after a lifetime of hunting, I'd be able to not let the mental aspect affect me, but I do think it got into my head, and I was struggling with it. I mean, I was missing by mere inches, but they were really important inches.

With the range session a success, we headed back to the grasslands property to look for a gemsbok, which was actually the animal at the top of my wish list.

Remember what I said about how I like my horns like I like my women? My bull was certainly the emodiment of that sentiment. I know a lot of guys like gemsbok with long horns. Don identified an really old bull - thick bases, horns worn down from fighting - and that was the one we set out to get. We hiked a lot of miles, and had a few blown stalks, catching up to the herd, but eventually we did catch up. After waiting for the old bull to separate from the herd, I dropped him with a single shot at 170 yards from my 99. I can't begin to express how happy I am with this fine, mature specimen - he is everything I could have hoped for.

We spent the rest of the day eating a leisurely late lunch, near an old farmstead. Don and I explored the buildings, and talked about history, birds (I'm a bit of a bird nut), literature, politics, and all manner of topics. On the drive back we drove through the Kwandwe Game Reserve. It was an incredible day - I enjoyed it so much!

P1010348.jpg

P1010354.JPG

P1010350.JPG

P1010378.jpg

P1010395.JPG

Day 7

The seventh day was a lot like the fourth day (it had a very deja vu feel), but substitute an impala for the wildebeest. Short version: I hit an impala ram. Distance was 130 yards. I hit him a bit low, on the front leg. We spent the rest of the day tracking him, with Norman and Don again displaying superhero level tracking powers. And as with the wildebeest, we went back to the lodge without an animal but, with Don certain we'd find him the next day.

If Don ever decides he doesn't want to be a PH, he has a very solid career ahead of him as either a psychic or a prophet.

Day 8

This became, essentially, my last hunting day, though I signed on for ten days.

In the morning we went out and tried to pick up the trail from the night before, and did. Once again, in very short order, we actually found him. From atop a rock cliff, I spotted him through my binos, bedded on the opposite hillside. The distance was beyond the range of my 99, and with my permission, Don tried to get a shot in him with his .308. He hit the ram - around the front leg, and low (are you seeing a theme?). We made it across the draw, and I got a finishing shot in at close distance as it stood up to run. Another theme of Don's, throughout this week, was that everything is a team effort. This ram was very much a team effort, and I am damned glad I had the team I did.

During the afternoon and evening, I tried to close out with a zebra, and eventually did, using the .45-70. It is the second zebra I've taken with this rifle. Unfortunately, I do not have photos; it was late, we were away from the vehicle, and I did not have my camera.

P1010443.jpg

Great perseverance, on my very first safari in Mozambique I was shooting everything high, I had the North American mind set of not shooting thru brush and grass which was impossibly high due to being extremely early in the season. I spined almost everything. Finally on my last day I purposely tried to shoot a Lichtenstein hartebeest low and had a perfect double lung shot. Funny how the mind works on your psych. Congratulations on a great trip and hopefully you’ll get your daughters over soon.

The final two 'hunt' days...

I made the decision to not hunt for days 9 and 10. This was a two-fold decision. First, I was feeling a bit skittish about my shooting. Irrespective of the reasons, I wasn't as dialed in as I should have been. I decided that I was happy with the successes I had had, but decided it was a good time to stop. The other reason was financial: tallying up my bill to that point... it felt like a good time to stop as well. 8 animals isn't a bad trip at all, and I am very happy with animals I was able to hunt and harvest.

On day 9, I hung around the lodge a lot and caught up with rest. I was dealing with a health issue the whole time that affected my sleep. So on the 9th day I rested, and did a lot of reading and simply appreciating the lodge and its surroundings. In the evening, Don and I went for a long drive. He was doing some scouting for buffalo, for two clients who would be in camp after me.

On day 10 it rained the sort of rain that got folks to wondering about large wooden boats and exactly what cubits are. In the afternoon of my last hunt day, we drove to Grahamstown to deliver supplies to a small orphanage that Game 4 Africa supports.

P1010400.JPG

P1010413.JPG

P1010407.JPG

P1010449.JPG

P1010445.JPG

Concluding thoughts...

If you're waffling on going to Africa, don't: just do it. I get there are different types of hunts, and for some of you, it's truly wild Africa or nothing at all. I can respect that, I truly can. But for some of us, there are really good hunting opportunities in places like South Africa. I have sincerely enjoyed my two hunts with @GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS and would recommend them to anyone.

Don Laaks is incredible. Words fall utterly short, though I'm going to give it a go: I started to write an article about PHs, with Don as the inspiration, while I was over there. He is one of the nicest, most well rounded individuals I have ever shared a hunt with. I could never repay the kindness and effort he gave me, and I am blessed to consider him a friend.

The Coetzee family is likewise incredible. Wik is phenomenal to hunt with, and his family becomes like family very quickly, when you have the chance to stay with them. Their whole staff is top notch across the board - I could not have been in better hands, and it's why that when I finally get to take my daughters to Africa, Game 4 Africa is where I'll be taking them.

If you have never been, and you enjoy birding, prepare yourself better than I did. I tried to get by this time with a downloaded guide on my tablet. That was awkward at best, trying to tote it around. I don't have a cell phone, so maybe that's the ticket for most of you.

Don't take a single moment for granted. That's true of anything in life, but is really true for special trips like going around the globe to hunt. I absolutely pinch myself that I've not not only been there, but been there twice.

Other things for which I was/am thankful or would strongly recommend: Jennifer at Travel Express, Rifle Permits, and Qatar Airways.

And just so you don't think I'm a shill for everyone and everything, the Seattle Airport was a Heartbreak Ridge level clusterf**k. That can't possibly be the best/most efficient way to run an airport.

I won't go into gear to bring - there's enough information on this site that a search can turn up anything you need. However, I will say that the GoRuck MacV-1 boots I bought - somewhat last minute - were the bomb. Holy crap! So freaking light and comfortable. I would highly recommend them to anyone debating what boot to take.

This was a really long-winded report. I hope it's at least helpful to some. This site has been so helpful to me, and I am grateful to be a member.

One last shout-out: Jerome... thanks for the hat.

@Tundra Tiger .....that was awesome! Nice animals, but especially like your kudu and your black....well done. And you are my hero for taking a 99 Savage in 300 Savage to Africa. Have always wanted to do that.................FWB

Great report, I couldn’t agree more about the Coetzee family. When my wife and I were there along with a friend in 2018 the family was going through some extremely hard personal things. But by the way we were treated you would have never known that they had a care in the world. My wife Charlotte and I will be forever grateful for how we were treated. I’m still trying to figure out how to get back over there and repay their hospitality!

Congrats on some excellent animals, I really liked the ivory on the kudu and your second warthog looked very nice. Reports like these are my favorite, where not everything goes to plan but yet you battled through the adversity to make the hunt a success.

Thanks @Drywaller44 and @Hunt anything. It was... an adjustment. I'm used to shooting better than that, but with a different rifle, so maybe that was it. Bottom line: I wasn't at the top of my game for this hunt... but it was still a magnificent experience.

Nice animals! I had some black wildebeest issues also, just a few days before you.

Well done, congratulations. Thanks

Have to agree that Don Laaks is a great PH and just a lot of fun to hunt and hanging out with him. We hunted together in 2022 at Hunters Hill. Nice animals, congrats on a good trip
I hunted with Colin who was awesome!!! He taught me a lot. He is Wik’s brother for those who do not know the family. Is Colin still guiding?

Congratulations on a nice hunt. A very well written report too. I actually reread your first report just now. It sounds like you had nearly identical hunt to your first. You can’t really ask for more, big properties with lots of game, a very hard working PH, and nice accommodations. I think you need to take a bushbuck and a bushpig if you return to eastern cape again.

Congrats on a successful hunt. So many never talk about the struggle when a shot is a little off of the mark. Sounds like some great tracking happened on your hunt. Thanks for sharing.
Bruce

@375Fox ... I appreciate the suggestions. Three on my next list would be waterbuck, nyala, and... bushbuck. I will say two species that just have not moved the needle for me so far are bushpig and hartebeest. Wik thinks I'll eventually come around to hartebeest... but I'm not there yet. :p And thank you for the kind words about my writing.

@gillettehunter ... I strive to be the best I can, for any hunt. I did put in a lot of time prepping for this hunt. That said, if my shooting is subpar, I'm going to own it. And then make every effort to be better the next time.

I hunted with Colin who was awesome!!! He taught me a lot. He is Wik’s brother for those who do not know the family. Is Colin still guiding?
Colin still guides a bit here and there but he’s been mainly running the butcher shop for the last year I believe. I think it mostly has to do with him recently having a baby. Wik and Don have been doing most of the guiding for the last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb527023

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.